BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Dec-18-2016, 01:21:44 AM   #21
e46IX

Canada

Default Re: Wheel Studs Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatcher View Post
I run Ray's closed end lugs with Studs. Some prefer seeing the stud ends others prefer the look of lug bolts. I got the look of bolts with the added benefits of studs.

What size studs you running? Looks clean. I figured only the extended open-end lug nuts would work in a stud application.
Jump to top e46IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Dec-18-2016, 08:23:30 PM   #22
Avplayer

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatcher View Post
I run Ray's closed end lugs with Studs. Some prefer seeing the stud ends others prefer the look of lug bolts. I got the look of bolts with the added benefits of studs.

Very nice
Jump to top Avplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-18-2016, 10:59:12 PM   #23
Namniek

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46IX View Post
What size studs you running? Looks clean. I figured only the extended open-end lug nuts would work in a stud application.
They're harder to find in shorter lengths because everyone wants to go full Bro (race applications excluded). The Macht Schnell 45mm studs work great. I ran them with Rays short closed end aluminum lugs without any issues. Looks the best IMO.

http://machtschnell.com/competition-...rsion-kit.html

▪MMI Vehicle Systems▪
▪Chicane Motorsport▪

IG: @Namniek
Jump to top Namniek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-19-2016, 07:29:37 AM   #24
E30toF30

Canada

Does anyone have any experience or feedback for Gorilla Automotive studs? I have a set from a previous car but unsure as to the quality of these and whether or not they are good/strong enough to be used on a track dedicated car.

Thanks in advance!
Jump to top E30toF30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 03:07:27 AM   #25
jaylmw08

In the garage:

Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevailm View Post
I've been thinking about doing one as well. Makes taking wheels off and on much easier.The only thing holding me back is the look. Imo normal wheel bolts look better.
late reply but since i am looking into it as well... closed end lug nuts
'06 AW/IR SMG 'Vert - neez eurocross super / kw v2's / cc ///m3an headers / cpi rt / scorza exhaust / oem frt strut re plates / rogue rsm / pf rtabs / 60 led aurora a.e. / M.S. charge pipe / afe air scoops / cf: csl diffuser, grills, gills / clear reflectors / frt plt brkt
Needs Install: cf fog light trim, 3.91

'03 SG/BLK SMG 'Vert (SOLD)
Jump to top jaylmw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 01:15:43 PM   #26
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylmw08 View Post
late reply but since i am looking into it as well... closed end lug nuts
Really? Why? Looks?

I don't understand why open ended lug nuts would bother anyone?

Anyway, I could machine such lug nuts, not a huge undertaking, if they don't exist. However, the risk is (with the various wheel applications and stud lengths) that a blind hole lug nut could bottom out on the thread, before they are tight on the wheel, which would be pretty dangerous.
So in order to avoid that, one would have to design the nuts extra long, thus making appearance really not all that nice either, which kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

FYI, making a blind threaded hole is slightly more difficult than a through hole, because you have to either single point it on the lathe, which takes longer than tapping it. You could roll tap it, but such taps have lead ins, which brings me back to my original point.......they would get really long and fugly.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk, Modified Stock Muffler
Jump to top nasieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-12-2017, 05:23:33 AM   #27
Namniek

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasieg View Post
Really? Why? Looks?

I don't understand why open ended lug nuts would bother anyone?

Anyway, I could machine such lug nuts, not a huge undertaking, if they don't exist. However, the risk is (with the various wheel applications and stud lengths) that a blind hole lug nut could bottom out on the thread, before they are tight on the wheel, which would be pretty dangerous.
So in order to avoid that, one would have to design the nuts extra long, thus making appearance really not all that nice either, which kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

FYI, making a blind threaded hole is slightly more difficult than a through hole, because you have to either single point it on the lathe, which takes longer than tapping it. You could roll tap it, but such taps have lead ins, which brings me back to my original point.......they would get really long and fugly.
Not difficult at all if you order correctly sized studs. 45mm studs work perfectly with closed end lugs and no spacers.

▪MMI Vehicle Systems▪
▪Chicane Motorsport▪

IG: @Namniek
Jump to top Namniek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-12-2017, 03:16:54 PM   #28
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namniek View Post
Not difficult at all if you order correctly sized studs. 45mm studs work perfectly with closed end lugs and no spacers.
Agreed, if you know exactly what size you are using, then it is not difficult.

I was looking at it from a point of offering a universal lug nut like that, and then you will run in to issue where guys have different lenght studs and spacer and sooner or later someone will bottom out the nut on the stud, and not the wheel.

I always look at making something in high volume to keep cost per part low enough. Making one set would not be cost effective at all.
BTW, I was under the assumption no one is making such parts, since the previous two posts suggested so. There is a good chance someone is offering something like that.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk, Modified Stock Muffler
Jump to top nasieg is online now   Reply With Quote