BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Mar-03-2017, 05:48:23 PM   #171
egebhardt

United States

Default Re: 96 M3 Boston Green Coupe - Couldn't Resist

Wow! Much shorter, old vs new. Gravity should be the same where you are. I have just over 151,000 miles. Maybe you have more.

Last edited by egebhardt; Fri, Mar-03-2017 at 06:01:38 PM.
Jump to top egebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Mar-03-2017, 06:32:15 PM   #172
mitch500

United States

Default 96 M3 Boston Green Coupe - Couldn't Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by egebhardt View Post
Wow! Much shorter, old vs new. Gravity should be the same where you are. I have just over 151,000 miles. Maybe you have more.

140,000 miles, maybe different driving habits. Also very dry where i live maybe that played a role.

Ps,

Nice clean organized garage!!! Thumbs up

Last edited by mitch500; Sat, Mar-04-2017 at 01:49:14 AM.
Jump to top mitch500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-04-2017, 04:27:18 PM   #173
egebhardt

United States

Sometime in April, the headliner fell off. It's weird. It was on there just fine and then one day it was sagging all over. I had a lot of material left over from the Byzanz sedan so I went to work.

This time I did it different. I didn't remove the C pillars. I just popped the upper parts away, then moved the headliner out one side at a time. Didn't break any tabs that way. Same with the B pillars. I only removed one. Then I backed the headliner out the passenger door. There was plenty of room, just take your time turning and tilting until you find the combination that works.

I made one mistake and got a wrinkle near the passenger visor. Dam. The new JoAnn fabric seems to be stuck on there really nice so I'm happy with the job. I plan to get this car re-registered after 3 years of PNO (planned non op).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old fabric falling off.JPG (248.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 3M.JPG (276.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg new.JPG (230.9 KB, 60 views)
Old Tue, Aug-08-2017, 03:38:15 PM   #174
abcurran

In the garage:

United States

Looks good, Eric. I don't recall from the byzanz thread, but what fabric did you choose?
Jump to top abcurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-08-2017, 05:44:52 PM   #175
Sammyzuko
Registered User & Abuser

United States

Quote:
Sometime in April, the headliner fell off. It's weird. It was on there just fine and then one day it was sagging all over. I had a lot of material left over from the Byzanz sedan so I went to work.

This time I did it different. I didn't remove the C pillars. I just popped the upper parts away, then moved the headliner out one side at a time. Didn't break any tabs that way. Same with the B pillars. I only removed one. Then I backed the headliner out the passenger door. There was plenty of room, just take your time turning and tilting until you find the combination that works.

I made one mistake and got a wrinkle near the passenger visor. Dam. The new JoAnn fabric seems to be stuck on there really nice so I'm happy with the job. I plan to get this car re-registered after 3 years of PNO (planned non op).
Looks good. Did you have any trouble installing the headliner where it meets the top of the rear window? I keep tucking it in, but when I hit higher speeds it starts flopping around.
Old Tue, Aug-08-2017, 05:48:32 PM   #176
Chadrbrewer

In the garage:

United States

In Missouri outside of Stl county we can run straight pipes to our hearts content because we are all heathens.
Jump to top Chadrbrewer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-08-2017, 06:47:08 PM   #177
egebhardt

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcurran View Post
Looks good, Eric. I don't recall from the byzanz thread, but what fabric did you choose?
Cheap JoAnn Fabrics Black. I've done this job 3 times now and I've been happy with JoAnn each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyzuko View Post
Looks good. Did you have any trouble installing the headliner where it meets the top of the rear window? I keep tucking it in, but when I hit higher speeds it starts flopping around.
Yes. It is supposed to tuck in that groove but only the passenger-half tucks in very nicely. I'm relying on the C pillars to hold the rest.

Do you have the windows open when you're hauling ass?

Last edited by egebhardt; Tue, Aug-08-2017 at 07:02:57 PM.
Old Tue, Aug-08-2017, 07:40:36 PM   #178
Sammyzuko
Registered User & Abuser

United States

Quote:

Yes. It is supposed to tuck in that groove but only the passenger-half tucks in very nicely. I'm relying on the C pillars to hold the rest.

Do you have the windows open when you're hauling ass?
Lol...yeah, it's really pissing me off. It's extremely distracting on the track when it's flopping around and blocking much of my rear visibility. I'm surprised I didn't get black flagged. I'm about to just tear the stupid headliner out.

To be fair I thought my problems were solved when I did my latest headliner project where I removed all of the fabric and painted the fiberboard black. It looks great, but I don't think there is enough material for it to snug into that rear groove. I keep tucking it in and by 50mph it starts moving around. I saw some E36s at the track with no headliner and on a dark color it's hardly noticeable.
Old Tue, Aug-08-2017, 08:19:05 PM   #179
egebhardt

United States

I don't blame you for tearing off the fabric and painting it. Sounds like a good fix. Anyone can glue fabric back on later.

On my 1st 36M (TechnoViolet), the headliner was falling down in back. I ended up JB welding a couple nuts to the ceiling. I didn't take out the headliner but rather just reached up behind there and held the nuts until the JB weld set. It was hard on the arms. Then I put a small hole in the headliner and a short bolt to hold it up.
Old Tue, Aug-08-2017, 11:47:54 PM   #180
Sammyzuko
Registered User & Abuser

United States

Quote:
I don't blame you for tearing off the fabric and painting it. Sounds like a good fix. Anyone can glue fabric back on later.

On my 1st 36M (TechnoViolet), the headliner was falling down in back. I ended up JB welding a couple nuts to the ceiling. I didn't take out the headliner but rather just reached up behind there and held the nuts until the JB weld set. It was hard on the arms. Then I put a small hole in the headliner and a short bolt to hold it up.
Haha....that's a pretty creative fix. I'm not quite ready to jb weld the roof, but I'm getting there. I might try adding a few layers of duct tape or some strong 3M tape to the trailing edge of the headliner and see if I can make it fit more securely in the groove. I really wish BMW had made something to better secure the rear section from the factory.