BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 06:47:41 PM   #51
jared212

United States

Default Re: Designing an SMG Pump Relocation Kit

It is a smart move doing something different since the bin is 90% bolt-on already.

Here is a calculator 5% loss is considered a good target for DC and it is fused for 40A probably closer to 25A actual running load. I don't know the actual load. You may want to consider a relay supplied from the battery. Every foot matters with low volt DC.
Jump to top jared212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 07:27:36 PM   #52
Cha5en

United States

Just my 2cents, the discussion about location has more variables to be discussed. Long term how is the trunk going to hold up vs the drug bin? What will installation costs be for the trunk vs drug bin? Material cost? Design cost?

Just my ?'s as an engineer myself. I really like to know all the details before putting pen to paper or opening CAD.

Personally looking at it from a product architects perspective, the drug bin is logical. I believe both units (for the early cars w/ ABS) can fit in that bin, but I don't have exact dimensions. That's something I'd measure and gather data for, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jump to top Cha5en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-12-2017, 02:30:39 AM   #53
Samson88

Australia

some pics of my smg relocation. i have a RHD m3 and was able to use the existing harness and put the smg and csl reservoir in the LHS bin. all it cost me is the braided lines and the reservoir.
i had to cut the hose on the csl reservoir and retrofit the one from the stock airbox reservoir. also made custom bracket but dont ask how i done that because its janky AF but it works so its not stupid... if it works :P

http://imgur.com/a/q1Mat
Jump to top Samson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-12-2017, 03:09:55 AM   #54
Samson88

Australia

Now that ive showed off my setup and got some smg-cred let me explain my findings. smg fails because of heat because its located next to engine, we all know this what i want to mention is my theory as to why its so hot there. AIRFLOW- when the car is new the smg works for many years with this heat and i have wondered why does it last such a long time till its starts showing signs of heat damage and why not sooner, surely if the heat damaged the motor it would do it from day dot. yes the smg motor deteriorates from the heat and reduce pressure. after all this i realized that the viscous fan clutch dies out over time and reduces cfm and thus doesn't dissipate the heat as efficiently as it did when it was new.
I did test this by installing a new viscous clutch fan but only for a couple of hours in stop start traffic on a 33'c day with high humidity and the car didn't go into N for that 2 hour period which was a first . the following day i done the smg relocation so this is going to remain a theory as i cant say for sure if it was successful or just coincidence. but if someone with smg issues could test this it would be good to know for everyone else as preventative maintenance.

now to review my smg relocation:
using a scan tool i could bring up the smg fluid temp and when i was having issues in hot weather the max temps of the fluid was 93'c (the smg kicks you into N @ 87'c) i got these numbers by specifically going out to over heat my smg so a lot of idle, hard diving and more idling was done. after the relocation the i haven't been able to push the temps past 66'c which is well within the operation area. as for performance it doesn't shift any different then before, just now it doesn't leave me on the side of the road.

hope this helps someone
Jump to top Samson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-13-2017, 04:29:39 AM   #55
Mars

In the garage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson88 View Post
Now that ive showed off my setup and got some smg-cred let me explain my findings. smg fails because of heat because its located next to engine, we all know this what i want to mention is my theory as to why its so hot there. AIRFLOW- when the car is new the smg works for many years with this heat and i have wondered why does it last such a long time till its starts showing signs of heat damage and why not sooner, surely if the heat damaged the motor it would do it from day dot. yes the smg motor deteriorates from the heat and reduce pressure. after all this i realized that the viscous fan clutch dies out over time and reduces cfm and thus doesn't dissipate the heat as efficiently as it did when it was new.
I did test this by installing a new viscous clutch fan but only for a couple of hours in stop start traffic on a 33'c day with high humidity and the car didn't go into N for that 2 hour period which was a first . the following day i done the smg relocation so this is going to remain a theory as i cant say for sure if it was successful or just coincidence. but if someone with smg issues could test this it would be good to know for everyone else as preventative maintenance.

using a scan tool i could bring up the smg fluid temp and when i was having issues in hot weather the max temps of the fluid was 93'c (the smg kicks you into N @ 87'c) i got these numbers by specifically going out to over heat my smg so a lot of idle, hard diving and more idling was done. after the relocation the i haven't been able to push the temps past 66'c which is well within the operation area. as for performance it doesn't shift any different then before, just now it doesn't leave me on the side of the road.

hope this helps someone
I think you may be on to something regarding airflow. The two times my cog light and neutral drops happened were days with high heat/humidity while running the AC. During this time, the oil temp moved slightly and coolant gauge started moving to the 3/4 mark. I did the rolled up newspaper fan clutch test the last time. It failed. New one is waiting to be installed.
Jump to top Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-17-2017, 06:56:17 PM   #56
SWRTstang_M3
Custom X

United States

any updates?

let's keep the conversation and ideas flowing.

I have a few questions

1. Are you guys planning on using the CSL reservoir?
2. About how many ounces or ML does the tank need to be if going with an aluminum tank
3. Vented cap or non vented cap for the aluminum tank?
4. Inner diameter for the hose that connects the pump to the reservoir? (I'm looking at the factory line and it looks close to a 1/4" but I can't find my gauge to confirm atm)

Thanks guy and really looking forward to seeing your mounting bracket. I'm trying to see if I source my own parts or wait for your kit.
  • M3 SMG (Stock) MartynT Tuned SAP Delete TMS Power Pulley Kit TMS RSM Koni 1140 Sport Suspension Kit Powerflex Race Differential Bushings (F&R) ECS 80A Transmission Mount Set ECS RST Reinforcement Plates Michelin PSS Depo Smoked Corners
Jump to top SWRTstang_M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-18-2017, 04:33:46 AM   #57
jared212

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRTstang_M3 View Post
any updates?

I have a few questions

1. Are you guys planning on using the CSL reservoir?
2. About how many ounces or ML does the tank need to be if going with an aluminum tank
4. Inner diameter for the hose that connects the pump to the reservoir? (I'm looking at the factory line and it looks close to a 1/4" but I can't find my gauge to confirm atm)

Thanks guy and really looking forward to seeing your mounting bracket. I'm trying to see if I source my own parts or wait for your kit.

Hose is 9mm rubber fuel hose. Tank is about 12oz with a sealed cap but with a filtered vent up high. Burkheart has all the essential pieces, lines and plugin wiring extension. If I didn't already have an aluminum tank I would have gotten the csl piece and still may as it's low height makes more room to avoid pocketing the hose.
Jump to top jared212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-18-2017, 12:20:45 PM   #58
Dr M3an M3
Why does everyone think my name is Dan? lol

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRTstang_M3 View Post
any updates?

I have a few questions

1. Are you guys planning on using the CSL reservoir? Possibly.
Also looking at a few aluminum tank options to consolidate space. This option would also help to keep costs lower, vs the expensive plastic CSL reservoir.

2. About how many ounces or ML does the tank need to be if going with an aluminum tank I'll need to check on this. Off the top of my head, I am not sure

Looks like many of your questions were answered (below) by Jared212. Thanks Jared!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared212 View Post
Hose is 9mm rubber fuel hose. Tank is about 12oz with a sealed cap but with a filtered vent up high. Burkheart has all the essential pieces, lines and plugin wiring extension. If I didn't already have an aluminum tank I would have gotten the csl piece and still may as it's low height makes more room to avoid pocketing the hose.
We've got the temperature sensors so that we can monitor a few different spots, but I am trying to finish buttoning-up my VANOS (Should be finished on Saturday). Once that is finished, more time will be spent on this. I just have to get the car back on the road first. Also waiting on the SMG parts to arrive. =)

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, RE El Diablo Muffler , BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, KW V3 Coilovers, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Upcoming Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers MEGA thread, CSL Airbox...others in the works.
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Street DD friendly Camber Plates compatible with KW V3 Coilovers
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-18-2017, 12:22:17 PM   #59
Dr M3an M3
Why does everyone think my name is Dan? lol

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson88 View Post

hope this helps someone
Thanks for the great and thorough response!

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, RE El Diablo Muffler , BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, KW V3 Coilovers, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Upcoming Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers MEGA thread, CSL Airbox...others in the works.
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Street DD friendly Camber Plates compatible with KW V3 Coilovers
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-22-2017, 01:34:30 AM   #60
04yfz

United States

If anyone is interested in this I have a couple sets of SMG lines and pig tails from SMG to 6mt conversions I've done if you want a second set to modify, shoot me a PM.

2002 M3 Tiag/Imola Coupe-6MT (SOLD)
2005 325xi Tiag/Tanin - 5MT (SOLD)
2006 M3 Silvergrey/Black Coupe (SOLD)
2006 M3 Tiag/Black Coupe - 6MT (For Sale! - 50k Miles)

2003 330i ZHP 6MT ---> S54/M3 Conversion (build coming soon)
Jump to top 04yfz is online now   Reply With Quote