BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Aug-10-2017, 03:15:12 AM   #191
GG///M3
LOUNGE CREATOR

Albania

Default Re: My $8.8K 176K mile Craigslist E36M3 Journey Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
Well considering a new motor for a w204 c63 is 45k... this little project is a relative bargain! Yeah. Thats the ticket. Yup

Which cams do you plan on going with ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu, Aug-10-2017, 07:02:47 PM   #192
betrezra

United States

More details from LD test of 3 cyls:
Could hear leaking in exhaust...... so sounds like valves.
I'm going to buy a l/d tester and do this my self @ my shop so I know what I'm dealing with here. There is a chance I need a head-rebuild.

Just need to decide if I want to bite the bullet and get a proper built motor..... or Band-Aid approach. lots to ponder
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 12:09:20 AM   #193
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Well considering a new motor for a w204 c63 is 45k... this little project is a relative bargain! Yeah. Thats the ticket. Yup
Haha that's the spirit! In that case, just go with a built S54, hell get it California BAR certified just for shits and gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
He's going down the proper route.
I've had built motors with forged internals, albeit not in my M3. A rose by any other name...... Can of worms. I'd prefer to have an internally factory spec motor for a car that sees split duty between street and track, personally.
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 12:36:52 AM   #194
betrezra

United States

Guys... aprec the input.

I'm sure I'm not the first or last Bimmer enthusiast to come to THIS fork in the road

I shall gather data, and choose wisely.....

it is: high cost, long schedule, and crappy performance?

OR perhaps: low cost, short schedule (my garage), and ticking time-bomb..

OR might I interest you in: shady local shop with questionable references, high costs, hidden fees...... , and it will be done when it will be done......

Ahh... so much to think about
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 03:48:32 AM   #195
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post

I've had built motors with forged internals, albeit not in my M3. A rose by any other name...... Can of worms. I'd prefer to have an internally factory spec motor for a car that sees split duty between street and track, personally.
There are plenty of guys on the FI side running forged internals with great results, albeit pretty much unnecessary under 400hp as in the OP's case. You just can't buy cheap Chinese junk, but that's the same for anything. In OP's case the only thing a built bottom end will give him is a few grams lighter roatating assembly and higher compression if wanted.

OP I would do a stock bottom end refresh and concentrate on head work and cams. Forged bottom end won't really net you anything (including reliability). You start getting into forged bottom ends and increasing compression you may as well have a stock S54 that will net the same power with as good of reliability.
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 11:50:37 AM   #196
GG///M3
LOUNGE CREATOR

Albania

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
There are plenty of guys on the FI side running forged internals with great results, albeit pretty much unnecessary under 400hp as in the OP's case. You just can't buy cheap Chinese junk, but that's the same for anything. In OP's case the only thing a built bottom end will give him is a few grams lighter roatating assembly and higher compression if wanted.

OP I would do a stock bottom end refresh and concentrate on head work and cams. Forged bottom end won't really net you anything (including reliability). You start getting into forged bottom ends and increasing compression you may as well have a stock S54 that will net the same power with as good of reliability.

Stock s54 swap will cost more.

Here's a graph from an s52 with high comp pistons , cams, euro ss rep headers, ss race mid pipes, ss race muffler.

[IMG]

Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 08:27:49 PM   #197
betrezra

United States

GG - that dyno graph is my target right now.
I'm in data collection mode now.... talking to the likes of VAC, Midwest race engines, local shop, eurocharged (freind of friend who builds 1000hp turbo motors), you guys here... wife, high school buddy.... and I'm getting quite a range of responses.

S52 rebuild -

Forged rods/pistons are a must!

Other camp..... stock stuff will be fine if you are careful>>>

Pretty funny.... and I'm sure confusing to the avg joe enthusiast who is looking at this low cost platform to dabble...... it's all cheap until engine time.... I was prepared for this though ..

Right now two leading options for me:

1) drop 10-12K for mail-order spec 3200 motor from (insert shop name here)....... p/p head, coated custom pistons, hardened piston rods, forged conn rods, deck align hone, lightened, p/u mods, etc etc...... getting some 'sell' on why one shop is better than another.... and told of 14-20 wk lead time because so busy

2) pull motor apart in my shop...... order a rebuilt head, install cams at home with manual and proper tools, farm out bottom end to local machine shop...... re-use stock rods, pistons, crank........ build up with: S50 intake, CamS (TBD) , new long tubes, high flo cat mid pipe... new fuel inn, tune....... Prop end up same cost as 1 above...?

will see........
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 08:42:15 PM   #198
GG///M3
LOUNGE CREATOR

Albania

Quote:
GG - that dyno graph is my target right now.
I'm in data collection mode now.... talking to the likes of VAC, Midwest race engines, local shop, eurocharged (freind of friend who builds 1000hp turbo motors), you guys here... wife, high school buddy.... and I'm getting quite a range of responses.

S52 rebuild -

Forged rods/pistons are a must!

Other camp..... stock stuff will be fine if you are careful>>>

Pretty funny.... and I'm sure confusing to the avg joe enthusiast who is looking at this low cost platform to dabble...... it's all cheap until engine time.... I was prepared for this though ..

Right now two leading options for me:

1) drop 10-12K for mail-order spec 3200 motor from (insert shop name here)....... p/p head, coated custom pistons, hardened piston rods, forged conn rods, deck align hone, lightened, p/u mods, etc etc...... getting some 'sell' on why one shop is better than another.... and told of 14-20 wk lead time because so busy

2) pull motor apart in my shop...... order a rebuilt head, install cams at home with manual and proper tools, farm out bottom end to local machine shop...... re-use stock rods, pistons, crank........ build up with: S50 intake, CamS (TBD) , new long tubes, high flo cat mid pipe... new fuel inn, tune....... Prop end up same cost as 1 above...?

will see........

I have epic cams, and basically 2/3 of the perfect exhaust setup to help make those numbers happen which I may end up selling. If interested PM me

Old Sat, Aug-12-2017, 04:28:26 PM   #199
betrezra

United States

Ordered my own L/D tester this week. Going to validate results.
His data and supporting discussion seemed a bit suspect.

Fork in the road:

1 - iF motor is healthy - I'll hit the track as is........

2 - iF motor is old/tired..... - LS swap time I've decided. I realize there is no love for an LSX car here... so I'll be civilized enough to move my updates elsewhere, but I'll pop in from time-to-time for e36 specific tech/help if you all do not mind. I won't bore you all with the swap details (unless I finally get the chance to reel-in- my buddies GT3... a man can dream right?)...

Peace.

--- vorshlag order placed!

Last edited by betrezra; Mon, Aug-14-2017 at 04:13:41 AM.
Jump to top betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-15-2017, 03:14:02 AM   #200
betrezra

United States

2000 ws6 trams am ls plus t56 and harness ecu purchased. Pu in 11 days.
4500$. 360hp w long tubes and tune.