BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Forced Induction (F/I)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Forced Induction (F/I) Discuss the ever growing F/I options here!

Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 08:20:46 PM   #251
BrianSpilner
Exhaust Driven > Belt Driven

Greece

Default Re: Maximum PSI Stage 2 Turbo Build | SMGII | BW 3.5" Race | Zima Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel'Ree0408 View Post
How has this been holding up? Any major issues since you've last posted?

No issues at all. I upgraded to the DKM clutch offered by Max PSI, and did a 6MT swap a few weeks ago. The car feels amazing! Much better in manual form I would say!
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Aug-16-2017, 09:09:38 PM   #252
Bel'Ree0408

United States

Default Re: Maximum PSI Stage 2 Turbo Build | SMGII | BW 3.5" Race | Zima Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSpilner View Post
No issues at all. I upgraded to the DKM clutch offered by Max PSI, and did a 6MT swap a few weeks ago. The car feels amazing! Much better in manual form I would say!
Nice!!! Doing as much research as I can before I acquire an M3. When all said and done FI is a must. Just coming down to AA SC or MAXPSI Turbo.

It's actually funny you've brought up having done a 6mt swap. That was the next thing I was going to research, seeing how SMGs sell cheaper.

How did the swap go and how flush, or original, does it look? My biggest concern is it not looking stock, for I'd rather shell out the extra cash for a better end result.

Much respect for your reply!!!
Jump to top Bel'Ree0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-16-2017, 09:14:55 PM   #253
BrianSpilner

Greece

Quote:
Nice!!! Doing as much research as I can before I acquire an M3. When all said and done FI is a must. Just coming down to AA SC or MAXPSI Turbo.

It's actually funny you've brought up having done a 6mt swap. That was the next thing I was going to research, seeing how SMGs sell cheaper.

How did the swap go and how flush, or original, does it look? My biggest concern is it not looking stock, for I'd rather shell out the extra cash for a better end result.

Much respect for your reply!!!
I had the AA supercharger kit before the Max psi turbo kit. Both are GREAT kits, but there's nothing like a turbo. You will pull HARD on any supercharger kit because of the huge torque gains, and the sky is the limit in terms of power. For a supercharger, you can only go so small on the pulley before you start slipping.

The manual swap should look OEM. You're using OEM parts for everything. There's really no way around it. There's a long DIY thread showing how everything is done. Parts will cost around $1,500-$1,700 if you do it right. Labor probably another $1,500. You can sell all the SMG stuff and break even, though.

Hope that helps!
Old Thu, Aug-17-2017, 02:33:45 PM   #254
Bel'Ree0408

United States

Quote:
I had the AA supercharger kit before the Max psi turbo kit. Both are GREAT kits, but there's nothing like a turbo. You will pull HARD on any supercharger kit because of the huge torque gains, and the sky is the limit in terms of power. For a supercharger, you can only go so small on the pulley before you start slipping.

The manual swap should look OEM. You're using OEM parts for everything. There's really no way around it. There's a long DIY thread showing how everything is done. Parts will cost around $1,500-$1,700 if you do it right. Labor probably another $1,500. You can sell all the SMG stuff and break even, though.

Hope that helps!
Yes definitely helps. The excitement to do all of this is unbearable lol. The only real thing that has me on the fence is the fact that I'm in Florida and AA is about an hour away. Which is great for if or when issues arise, as well as the car needing to be shipped now that MAXPSI only do in-house installs and no longer ship out the kits.

But with your testimonial as to how great the customer service is with MAXPSI and how much better supercharging vs turbocharging is I feel I'd be a fool to go any other route than turbo lol. Basically stay NA or Turbo and we both know staying NA is no option

The images and videos no longer work here. Is there anywhere I can go check them out? I'd love to see how smooth the power delivery is in comparison to a supercharger as well as hear this thing!!

How would you describe the power delivery of this kit vs the AA kit?
Old Fri, Aug-18-2017, 05:58:27 PM   #255
BrianSpilner

Greece

Quote:
Yes definitely helps. The excitement to do all of this is unbearable lol. The only real thing that has me on the fence is the fact that I'm in Florida and AA is about an hour away. Which is great for if or when issues arise, as well as the car needing to be shipped now that MAXPSI only do in-house installs and no longer ship out the kits.

But with your testimonial as to how great the customer service is with MAXPSI and how much better supercharging vs turbocharging is I feel I'd be a fool to go any other route than turbo lol. Basically stay NA or Turbo and we both know staying NA is no option

The images and videos no longer work here. Is there anywhere I can go check them out? I'd love to see how smooth the power delivery is in comparison to a supercharger as well as hear this thing!!

How would you describe the power delivery of this kit vs the AA kit?
The reason the photos no longer work is because Photobucket is basically demanding a ransom for all third party webhosting. They want $300 per year (or something like that) just to allow hosting on forums and whatnot. It's insane. I need to get around to uploading them to google images or something of that nature.

PM me if you have a facebook or IG and you can see pictures there. I do not have any videos besides the one in this thread, unfortunately. I need to make some.

The power delivery of the supercharger is linear, which fits well with the design of the S54. If you want a plug and play kit, and never want to hit over 530rwhp (stock block), then a supercharger is for you. For example, you can be making 14psi, but you won't hit that until redline (peak).

The power delivery of the turbo isn't as linear because you can feel when you're hitting full boost and when the wastegate opens (if you're dumping to atmosphere like I am). For example, unlike the supercharger, if your kit is making 14psi, you will hit 14psi across the entire RPM range. You don't have to wait until redline to hit your desired boost, which is the major difference between a centrifugal blower and a turbo. Turbos make a lot more power/torque UNDER the curve if you look at dyno graphs.
Old Fri, Aug-18-2017, 08:16:20 PM   #256
Bel'Ree0408

United States

Quote:
The reason the photos no longer work is because Photobucket is basically demanding a ransom for all third party webhosting. They want $300 per year (or something like that) just to allow hosting on forums and whatnot. It's insane. I need to get around to uploading them to google images or something of that nature.

PM me if you have a facebook or IG and you can see pictures there. I do not have any videos besides the one in this thread, unfortunately. I need to make some.

The power delivery of the supercharger is linear, which fits well with the design of the S54. If you want a plug and play kit, and never want to hit over 530rwhp (stock block), then a supercharger is for you. For example, you can be making 14psi, but you won't hit that until redline (peak).

The power delivery of the turbo isn't as linear because you can feel when you're hitting full boost and when the wastegate opens (if you're dumping to atmosphere like I am). For example, unlike the supercharger, if your kit is making 14psi, you will hit 14psi across the entire RPM range. You don't have to wait until redline to hit your desired boost, which is the major difference between a centrifugal blower and a turbo. Turbos make a lot more power/torque UNDER the curve if you look at dyno graphs.
Holy crap... Yeah man I don't blame you. I'd kindly go tell them to you know what also lol... Will send the PM after this...

Thanks again for your help, making this awesome thread, and sharing your impressions. Not much out there on this kit from a customer's pov and it really does look better than what HPF was putting out, God rest their souls.

I would hate to go the SC route and then crave more, only to do what I should have done from jump street. My mind is pretty much made up. And from everything I've seen on SC vs Turbo, Turbo looks to be the more enjoyable of the two regardless of the car or power level. Been binge watching The Smoking Tire on youtube to get me through the work day

Now here's to hoping MAXPSI is still around and making these kits by the time I can pull the trigger!! lol
Old Fri, Aug-18-2017, 08:50:47 PM   #257
BrianSpilner

Greece

Quote:
Holy crap... Yeah man I don't blame you. I'd kindly go tell them to you know what also lol... Will send the PM after this...

Thanks again for your help, making this awesome thread, and sharing your impressions. Not much out there on this kit from a customer's pov and it really does look better than what HPF was putting out, God rest their souls.

I would hate to go the SC route and then crave more, only to do what I should have done from jump street. My mind is pretty much made up. And from everything I've seen on SC vs Turbo, Turbo looks to be the more enjoyable of the two regardless of the car or power level. Been binge watching The Smoking Tire on youtube to get me through the work day

Now here's to hoping MAXPSI is still around and making these kits by the time I can pull the trigger!! lol
HPF did it when everyone said it couldn't be done, so kudos to them. The Max PSI kit is definitely more economical and utilizes the OEM DME, which is a big deal imho.

Max PSI should still be around whenever you decide to pull the trigger. They just expanded and I know they're developing things for the F8x chassis.
Old Mon, Aug-21-2017, 04:53:16 PM   #258
Bel'Ree0408

United States

Quote:
HPF did it when everyone said it couldn't be done, so kudos to them. The Max PSI kit is definitely more economical and utilizes the OEM DME, which is a big deal imho.

Max PSI should still be around whenever you decide to pull the trigger. They just expanded and I know they're developing things for the F8x chassis.

Fingers way crossed! Idk if you saw my Facebook post, but I have a pretty big hurdle to to get over before I can even begin saving up for this. Hopefully everything will work out. Thanks again man!
Old Mon, Aug-21-2017, 08:59:25 PM   #259
skillzo1

In the garage:

United States

Use tapatalk instead of photobucket

Skillzo's Build...http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=487768
Jump to top skillzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-21-2017, 09:03:13 PM   #260
BrianSpilner

Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzo1 View Post
Use tapatalk instead of photobucket
It's difficult to edit 70+ links from a phone, not to mention, time consuming. I will have to go through this thread and update each link individually from a computer. What a pain. I hope Photobucket goes under.