BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Jul-25-2017, 08:08:57 AM   #1
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

Default OBD2 Bluetooth "Gauges" vs Wired Gauges

Does anyone have experience on running an OBD2 bluetooth type "gauge" and would the recommend them vs a wired gauge?

I currently cba to deal with buying and wiring in the VDO kit, which is what I'd prefer and probably do in the future, but I can't stand not knowing my temps anymore...
My car kinda spooks me out with temps (no specific reason, I'm just rly fidgety about my 20 y/o car) and I'd REALLY like to monitor them.

I saw Matt Farah advertising this one brands OBD2 bluetooth plugin that you can monitor A LOT of different things with from an app on your iPhone/Android during one of his recent One Takes of a Testarossa.
It's a bit on the more expensive side, from what I know, but it seems to be very above-par.
I wouldn't mind just getting a little phone mount and sticking it on my drivers air vent as it doesn't seem to push as much air as the main vent that I always have directed at my face haha.

Also curious how well these type of things work on an older BMW...

Link to the adverted plugin: http://www.autometer.com/dashlink-ob...apple-ios.html
Jump to top thirtysixnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jul-25-2017, 10:34:46 AM   #2
LockDots

United States

Default Re: OBD2 Bluetooth "Gauges" vs Wired Gauges

Being that it uses OBD2 (K-line?) information, it wouldn't be any more accurate than any other Bluetooth adapters. Main thing to watch out for is speed and logging. This is the one I got:

It's significantly cheaper, comes with its own free app and compatible with most apps out there. I use it with Torque Pro and it's been fantastic. The data streams fast and consistently, I can use it for data logging, DTC/Engine code reading and resets, and connects very fast to my phone. I use it to keep an eye on my temperatures from time to time and though I don't have a separate gauge to compare it to, I'm fairly confident it's reading correctly.

It uses the temperature sensor in the head to read temperatures. The same data that goes to the DME.
Old Tue, Jul-25-2017, 02:08:05 PM   #3
haus
So anal, my torque wrench has a torque wrench up its ****

United States

My no-name BT OBDII transceiver is kind of unreliable; I use it to scan codes with Torque Pro on all the cars but it freezes up during driving sometimes.

I use an ultragauge mounted low by the OBD port to keep an eye on coolant temp (with an alarm), battery voltage, fuel trims, things like that. I like that it's just always there and working, no need to fiddle with a phone.

Also the OBD port is always powered so if you plug a transceiver in and park the car for a long time it will present some (albeit probably very small) drain on your battery. The ultragauge senses the ignition state and goes to sleep.
Old Wed, Jul-26-2017, 07:41:39 AM   #4
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
Being that it uses OBD2 (K-line?) information, it wouldn't be any more accurate than any other Bluetooth adapters. Main thing to watch out for is speed and logging. This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's significantly cheaper, comes with its own free app and compatible with most apps out there. I use it with Torque Pro and it's been fantastic. The data streams fast and consistently, I can use it for data logging, DTC/Engine code reading and resets, and connects very fast to my phone. I use it to keep an eye on my temperatures from time to time and though I don't have a separate gauge to compare it to, I'm fairly confident it's reading correctly.

It uses the temperature sensor in the head to read temperatures. The same data that goes to the DME.
Might have to look into this vs the other as this has a TON of reviews that are all mostly positive. Definitely for 1/3 of the price of the one I linked it seems like it would perform as expected, just without the extra bells/whistles like the performance thing with 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
My no-name BT OBDII transceiver is kind of unreliable; I use it to scan codes with Torque Pro on all the cars but it freezes up during driving sometimes.

I use an ultragauge mounted low by the OBD port to keep an eye on coolant temp (with an alarm), battery voltage, fuel trims, things like that. I like that it's just always there and working, no need to fiddle with a phone.

Also the OBD port is always powered so if you plug a transceiver in and park the car for a long time it will present some (albeit probably very small) drain on your battery. The ultragauge senses the ignition state and goes to sleep.
Hmm.. Probably a hit or miss deal, but sounds easier than toying around with a phone app everytime you get in the car haha... Either way will probably be investing in one of these. Gonna do more research.

Thank you guys!
Jump to top thirtysixnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-26-2017, 10:15:13 AM   #5
LockDots

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtysixnick View Post
Might have to look into this vs the other as this has a TON of reviews that are all mostly positive. Definitely for 1/3 of the price of the one I linked it seems like it would perform as expected, just without the extra bells/whistles like the performance thing with 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times lol.
This one can do that too.

So long as the unit (whichever one you pick) has a consistent and fast connection to your phone and the DME, these bells and whistles are app-dependant. It's not like some of the adapters unlock certain functions of the DME. They're just taking data that's already there and essentially applying math to it to figure out things like 1/4 mile times, hp, etc.