BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Sat, Jun-24-2017, 03:31:37 AM   #1
carenthuziast

In the garage:

United States

Default Battery Draining

Any idea why the battery keeps draining?

At the dealer, the vehicle was found with dead battery and couldn't be jumped. The battery was replaced, the junction box was replaced, and the ibs negative battery was replaced. CCM battery drain noted.

Battery still draining.
Jump to top carenthuziast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jun-24-2017, 11:10:56 AM   #2

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Battery Draining

I'm dealing with a similar issue right now. Lots of people on the other forum have traced it to a failing EDC control unit that doesn't let the car go to sleep. Someone reported it pulls 1.3 amps.

If the car has EDC and you see the start/stop button constantly lighting up and occasionally the P for park, this could be the problem.

I bought a replacement control unit but it appears to need to be coded to the car. I'll be trying that at my indy shop Monday.
Jump to top 4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-24-2017, 11:38:43 AM   #3
carenthuziast

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for your reply. I do have EDC but my car is a manual, so there is no park.

Also, I just took delivery of this car from an out of state purchase and I had the carrier take the car straight to my local dealer since it's cpo and still under warranty so I haven't had it long enough to notice start/stop fluttering.

The carrier made a drop off right before delivery of my M3 and called me to say that it wouldn't start and had to be rolled off and jump started. This was right after having the battery, junction box, and negative ibs cable replaced right before carrier pickup.

Last edited by carenthuziast; Sat, Jun-24-2017 at 02:53:34 PM.
Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 12:36:04 AM   #4
carenthuziast

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4130 View Post
I'm dealing with a similar issue right now. Lots of people on the other forum have traced it to a failing EDC control unit that doesn't let the car go to sleep. Someone reported it pulls 1.3 amps.

If the car has EDC and you see the start/stop button constantly lighting up and occasionally the P for park, this could be the problem.

I bought a replacement control unit but it appears to need to be coded to the car. I'll be trying that at my indy shop Monday.
How did everything go?

I got a call from my dealer and they also said the parasite power draw is the EDC module and they are going to replace it. Fingers crossed....
Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 01:25:52 AM   #5

In the garage:

United States

They tried two different tools and neither were able to activate the EDC control unit. It's good to hear yours is the EDC. Gives me hope that when I finally get this coded it will solve my issue.
Old Fri, Jun-30-2017, 04:02:04 AM   #6
carenthuziast

In the garage:

United States

My SA called me today and said that the vehicle has been fixed and ready for pickup.

The tech determined that there was a parasitic draw of 1.2 amps that prevented my car from going into sleep mode. Multiple checks were performed and it was determined that the draw was coming from the rear of the car. They isolated it to the EDC module. All the diagnostic checks took 30 hrs of tech time.

They replaced the module and reprogrammed the car and let it sit overnight. They called me today to pick up the car. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, as it'll give it another 24 hrs to sit.
Old Sat, Jul-08-2017, 02:25:37 AM   #7

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthuziast View Post
I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, as it'll give it another 24 hrs to sit.
How's your car behaving? I just got my new EDC control unit coded remotely by Alex @ Alpine MSS. I'm really hoping this fixes the battery drain issue. I'll know for sure soon enough.
Old Sat, Jul-08-2017, 02:59:03 AM   #8
carenthuziast

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4130 View Post
How's your car behaving? I just got my new EDC control unit coded remotely by Alex @ Alpine MSS. I'm really hoping this fixes the battery drain issue. I'll know for sure soon enough.
I got my car back last week and have had no issues. This past Saturday, I got a hold of my SA to follow up on the email that I sent him about some other issues, namely leather that pulled off the seat frame on the driver's side and the weather stripping between the windows also on the driver's side. He was surprised when I told him the car is still under original factory warranty. He went to check and said I had to get my car in by July 3 b/c the warranty expires July 4.

I dropped it off on July 2nd overnight so that he would have it on Monday, July 3. Therefore, I think my battery drain problems have been solved since I've had no issues up until I dropped the car.

He called me yesterday to tell me that the leather is being shipped from Germany and should be here next week. So, I've been missing my baby since last Sunday.
Old Wed, Aug-23-2017, 03:23:06 PM   #9
Barrelproof

United States

I had a similar issue in my '13 M3 and after 4 separate sessions at the dealer, new neg terminal, two batteries, a DCT module, it was finally traced to a .4amp parasitic draw from a shorted EDC module. 9 minutes after the car went to sleep (prior to this I was told it wasn't ever getting to "sleep") it "woke up" and the .4 amp draw started pulling down the battery. I would get DSC failure icons, excessive battery discharge warnings and several other faults. Since the EDC unit was replaced there are no more faults and no more current draws. The car is driving normally with no issues.
Jump to top Barrelproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-30-2017, 01:38:46 AM   #10
carenthuziast

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelproof View Post
I had a similar issue in my '13 M3 and after 4 separate sessions at the dealer, new neg terminal, two batteries, a DCT module, it was finally traced to a .4amp parasitic draw from a shorted EDC module. 9 minutes after the car went to sleep (prior to this I was told it wasn't ever getting to "sleep") it "woke up" and the .4 amp draw started pulling down the battery. I would get DSC failure icons, excessive battery discharge warnings and several other faults. Since the EDC unit was replaced there are no more faults and no more current draws. The car is driving normally with no issues.
Same here. I wonder how long this EDC module is good for.