BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)


View Poll Results: Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?
Hero 49 71.01%
Traitor 20 28.99%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Wed, Jan-08-2014, 03:37:30 PM   #1
Cyrus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,041
Reputation: 0 Cyrus has disabled reputation





Default Edward Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?

One of my colleagues posed what I thought was an interesting question to a bunch of us at work:

If you HAD TO choose one of these two options, hero or traitor, to describe Snowden, which word would you use. The results surprised me.

Vote away.
__________________
2017 VW Golf R (DSG)
2014 Mazda MX-5 Club (manual, soft top)
Jump to top Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jan-08-2014, 03:46:56 PM   #2
kk2
visor up for pleasure
 
kk2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,020
Reputation: 0 kk2 has disabled reputation
Location: Westchester, NY

United States




Default Re: Edward Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?

strong loltics..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2
we can't all be rockstars
Jump to top kk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-08-2014, 03:54:59 PM   #3
tenfifteen
Pale Geek Rigour
 
tenfifteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 34,494
Reputation: 153 tenfifteen is a splendid one to beholdtenfifteen is a splendid one to behold
Location: MD/C

United States




Default Re: Edward Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?

If we're talking strictly in the legal sense, then there's no getting around the fact that he's a "traitor," although it's ethically defensible imho, and bears pointing out the betrayal was due to what he believed (rightly) were illegal overreaches of the NSA, so it gets a bit murky there. I'm sure he also looked at the example of the Obama administration and its record on treatment of whistleblowers, and correctly judged that he could not go that route, so the "betrayal" would've seemed like his only option.

Anyway, I dunno about "hero," but I'd put what he did in the "thank you" column for sure. I voted accordingly.
__________________
Jump to top tenfifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-08-2014, 03:57:17 PM   #4
zerotosixty
Search Nazi
 
zerotosixty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,036
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 zerotosixty is on a distinguished road
Location: Clearwater, FL

United States




Default Re: Edward Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?

On paper, he is a traitor. I understand he brought to light some very negative aspects of our governments actions but by taking the position he did, he signed on the dotted line that what he knows and what he will learn will never be divulged to the public. He betrayed that and betrayed the government of the United States. With that, there is a severe penalty and I hope he goes to prison for it.
__________________
Lords of M3Forum official member


ZeroToSixty's car journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why m3 View Post
Not everybody Is into tracking because you guys other to each of their own
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyM3 View Post
Again, just like several of you have proved and myself: it's going to be nothing but a $hitshow until our science is to the height to which we can prove something's there and the time it gets there.

Until then, we must prevent these mistaken pregnancies in the first place
Jump to top zerotosixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-08-2014, 03:57:48 PM   #5
VailM3
Registered User
 
VailM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,527
Reputation: 0 VailM3 is on a distinguished road





Default Re: Edward Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfifteen View Post
If we're talking strictly in the legal sense, then there's no getting around the fact that he's a "traitor," although it's ethically defensible imho, and bears pointing out the betrayal was due to what he believed (rightly) were illegal overreaches of the NSA, so it gets a bit murky there. I'm sure he also looked at the example of the Obama administration and its record on treatment of whistleblowers, and correctly judged that he could not go that route, so the "betrayal" would've seemed like his only option.

Anyway, I dunno about "hero," but I'd put what he did in the "thank you" column for sure. I voted accordingly.
all of this. In the long run what he did was the "right" thing to do and sheds light on the extremely long arm of the NSA. The very fact they need to answer up to their wrongdoings shows that what he did though "illegal" was the correct move.
__________________
Jump to top VailM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-08-2014, 04:00:22 PM   #6
VailM3
Registered User
 
VailM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,527
Reputation: 0 VailM3 is on a distinguished road





Default Re: Edward Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerotosixty View Post
On paper, he is a traitor. I understand he brought to light some very negative aspects of our governments actions but by taking the position he did, he signed on the dotted line that what he knows and what he will learn will never be divulged to the public. He betrayed that and betrayed the government of the United States. With that, there is a severe penalty and I hope he goes to prison for it.
News Flash, the government, or at least a part of it was betraying its people, before during and after Snowden worked at the NSA.
__________________
Jump to top VailM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-08-2014, 04:05:41 PM   #7
Broham
Registered User
 
Broham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,956
Reputation: 0 Broham is on a distinguished road
Location: NJ

United States




Default Re: Edward Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?

Our government encourages whistleblowing when it comes to corporations, but it is considered betrayal when they are the ones in question... No hypocrisy here.
Jump to top Broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-08-2014, 04:08:15 PM   #8
zerotosixty
Search Nazi
 
zerotosixty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,036
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 zerotosixty is on a distinguished road
Location: Clearwater, FL

United States




Default Re: Edward Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post
News Flash, the government, or at least a part of it was betraying its people, before during and after Snowden worked at the NSA.
I am well aware of this
__________________
Lords of M3Forum official member


ZeroToSixty's car journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why m3 View Post
Not everybody Is into tracking because you guys other to each of their own
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyM3 View Post
Again, just like several of you have proved and myself: it's going to be nothing but a $hitshow until our science is to the height to which we can prove something's there and the time it gets there.

Until then, we must prevent these mistaken pregnancies in the first place
Jump to top zerotosixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-08-2014, 04:15:40 PM   #9
m3 hal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 21,635
Reputation: 0 m3 hal will become famous soon enough

United States




Default Re: Edward Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerotosixty View Post
On paper, he is a traitor. I understand he brought to light some very negative aspects of our governments actions but by taking the position he did, he signed on the dotted line that what he knows and what he will learn will never be divulged to the public. He betrayed that and betrayed the government of the United States. With that, there is a severe penalty and I hope he goes to prison for it.
If he uncovered a plot to exterminate a race of people, do you feel the same way about him going to prison?
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-08-2014, 04:19:52 PM   #10
Frank Ricard
You're my boy, Blue!
 
Frank Ricard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,998
Reputation: 0 Frank Ricard has disabled reputation
Location: .

United States




Default Re: Edward Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?

An immoral law makes it a man's duty to break it, at every hazard. For virtue is the very self of every man.
Jump to top Frank Ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing The Window Sticker Thread in the Off Topic Forum - Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive) at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)