BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Aug-04-2014, 12:50:47 PM   #1
chriskuta

Australia

Default Rear Porsche caliper question?

I'm having a fitment issue with my rear Porsche calipers part numbers 996.352.421 & 996.352.422 using the new rally road rear brackets. The problem is that the two guides for the pads bottom out on the rotor.

I've noticed in photos of these fitted that the guides are flush with the caliper face

Mine (not flush)

It looks like these guides can be moved? Any ideas how to get the little securing pins out? Do the guides have notches in them for different depths?

The pad on the face side is also pretty tight too, but once the pads bed in, it should be fine.

2001 e46, Euro Spec, Manual, OEM CSL Airbox, HP ECU CSL Tune, OEM CSL Wheels
Jump to top chriskuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Aug-04-2014, 01:13:58 PM   #2
Radekxpl

In the garage:

Poland

Default Re: Rear Porsche caliper question?

Hello, When I did mine they were the same way, what I did is I took a c lamp and pushed it out to the point it was flush with the caliper its really easy when you apply enough force it will move out, it does not have any notches it is tightly fitted. I did mine before I painted the calipers so I don't have to worry about damaging the paint, if you already painted calipers just put some rubber pad under the clamp and you should be fine otherwise paint will get damaged.
Mod list: TTFS Custom Tune, Headers Sec 1 AR20, M-Track Mode programmed, IAT relocated, Upadted cam bolts with S62 pressure springs and diaphragm, sub-frame reinforced foam/epoxy Vince bar & plates, 996 Brembo brakes PFC 08 pads, CDV delete, F10 M5 shift knob, CSL diffuser, black chrome grillies, smoked corners tinted windows, asymmetrical mirrors, Hardwired Bell Pro 300, D/A pulleys, AVANT-II, Dinan CAI, SDW RTAB, TCkline 500/600 GC Weight Jacks, GC Street Camber Plates, Beisan Oil Pump Disk, ECS camber arms, N15 SPAL 2082 fan, Micro-blue rod bearings, ZHP .712 Yellow tag rack.
Jump to top Radekxpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-04-2014, 05:09:42 PM   #3
Tchleung

Canada

Interesting. Mines were also flush like your first pic:

03 Carbon Black X5 4.4 - Parts Hauler/Daily

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
462whp/311wtq @ 9.5psi(SuperFlow)
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Jump to top Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-04-2014, 07:44:57 PM   #4
(///M)ZOO

China

That's is weird. I use the p0lar brackets for the rear. I read the proper bracket with the caliper is pretty forgiving on different types of rotor. Like the Pfc rotors. The front are usually the ones that come too close to the rotors and sometimes require shims. I would ask p0lar about this to see what are some options.

2006 ZCP Interlagos Blue: | VCSL bumper | VCSL Diffusor | Dice Ipod | Depo Smoke Corners | Led side blinker | Led front | Angle Eyes | Keyhole Delete | Grill and Gill Blackout | Carbon Fiber E-brake | RE Clutch Stop | SE Filter | Back up Led | Ground Control Street/School coilover | RE sports rear control arm | Powerflex RTAB | RE 12/10 Spacers | TMS Caliper Bushing | TMS Subframe kit | Single sided VCSL Bootlid | OEM 18 Square | Stoptech SS line |
Jump to top (///M)ZOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-04-2014, 08:04:15 PM   #5
Tchleung

Canada

I think it's really hit and miss. I know with P0lars brackets, you're supposed to be able to flip them around if you wanted to run larger discs and calipers. But I had to run mines in that flipped orientation to clear my caliper guide pins already even though mines are technically the smaller calipers.

03 Carbon Black X5 4.4 - Parts Hauler/Daily

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
462whp/311wtq @ 9.5psi(SuperFlow)
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Jump to top Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-04-2014, 08:25:00 PM   #6
Radekxpl

In the garage:

Poland

I have used P0lar brackets and they don't have anything to do with guides I guess some Porsche calipers guides are more pushed in than others, but that's nothing to be worried like I said it is easily adjustable.
Mod list: TTFS Custom Tune, Headers Sec 1 AR20, M-Track Mode programmed, IAT relocated, Upadted cam bolts with S62 pressure springs and diaphragm, sub-frame reinforced foam/epoxy Vince bar & plates, 996 Brembo brakes PFC 08 pads, CDV delete, F10 M5 shift knob, CSL diffuser, black chrome grillies, smoked corners tinted windows, asymmetrical mirrors, Hardwired Bell Pro 300, D/A pulleys, AVANT-II, Dinan CAI, SDW RTAB, TCkline 500/600 GC Weight Jacks, GC Street Camber Plates, Beisan Oil Pump Disk, ECS camber arms, N15 SPAL 2082 fan, Micro-blue rod bearings, ZHP .712 Yellow tag rack.
Old Mon, Aug-04-2014, 10:08:58 PM   #7
chriskuta

Australia

thanks for all the replies, I'll have a go at moving those guides further out. I'm on oem rotors so it should be all good. I'd rather not shim the bracket if possible.

Did you guys find the outer pad was a snug fit?

2001 e46, Euro Spec, Manual, OEM CSL Airbox, HP ECU CSL Tune, OEM CSL Wheels
Jump to top chriskuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-05-2014, 10:36:40 AM   #8
p0lar
Naturally Agitated

In the garage:

United States

Hey guys, sorry to be so late to this party (and a LOT of PMs.. I'm getting there!), but you're very correct about some of these calipers having odd spacing of the internal pad resting pins.

From the plethora of calipers I've seen/handled/modified, not only is the internal spacing different from caliper to caliper, but also the overall length of pin. Bear in mind that the same part number has different casting revisions and that they're present on quite a few different models. ALSO, of important note, is that not all M3 hubs and bearings are the same. The european cars almost all seem to need about 1.5mm of material removal to center the caliper over the rotor. This has caused some consternation when going from a floating-caliper to a fixed-piston arrangement. I've even seen some individuals who have had a hub bearing replacement report issues. (One side fits, the other doesn't!)

The floating calipers can accommodate a fair amount of variance in bearing/hub tolerance whereas the fixed piston calipers center on the hub based on a fixed distance from the carrier. I've run into even more problems when people start using very thick pads, very thick rotors or rotors that have higher diameters than the factory ones. I'm not sure why those issues aren't more commonly sighted as almost any one of those seems to cause headaches for the installer.

At any rate, if the pins are too close to the rotors, you can trim them with a die grinder, angle grinder, etc.. carefully, but you really can't move them unless you drill out that hardened set pin, press them into position again and re-set a new pin. Trust me, it's not worth the effort!
Jump to top p0lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-05-2014, 01:33:47 PM   #9
Radekxpl

In the garage:

Poland

That is interesting, My pins were to close and I was able to press them in with c-clamp vice grip without any grinding, drilling etc. its a very tight fit even after being pressed in pins are still tightly fitted to the point where it cannot be moved under any circumstance while on the car. Procedure took me about 5 min per side its not very hard to do once you have right tools (C-clamp vice).
Old Wed, Dec-24-2014, 12:55:30 AM   #10
tr4ck_m3
Buildjournal

In the garage:

United States

I had to trim them with angle grinder here.

2002 BMW TiAg/Imola E46 ///M3 6MT | BuildJournal Tune + AFD Flexfuel E70 315whp / 242wtq
2013 BMW Sapphire Black/Black F30 335i ///M Sport 8AT | BM3 E30 Stg 2 Tune 367whp/457wtq
Jump to top tr4ck_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote