BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 03:00:15 AM   #21
Blaikenstein

United States

Default Re: Vanos visibly moving exhaust side

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Dang that's rough. So your vanos unit is secured to the head with oversized bolts and timeserts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Itís timeserted with the standard m6 size but I used hardened bolts.

Iím thinking a dremel, right angle attachment, and carbide or diamond bits might do the trick. Probably have to oversert those to an m6.
Jump to top Blaikenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 06:45:50 AM   #22
L0ADED

United States

Will the timesert hold the torque that is needed to keep the VANOS pulled against the head? I believe it is 7-10 ft-lbs for each bolt. Also, do you have both the dowel pins?
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 12:50:35 PM   #23
Blaikenstein

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ADED View Post
Will the timesert hold the torque that is needed to keep the VANOS pulled against the head? I believe it is 7-10 ft-lbs for each bolt. Also, do you have both the dowel pins?

The timeserts are a lot stronger then the original aluminum threads. I had the dowel for the exhaust side bit not intake side. Exhaust side was the one moving.

I used a dial gauge to confirm I had a few degrees of lift on the exhaust hub. I think my root problem was with the way I tightened Dow the exhaust hub in a lopsided manner.
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 01:25:47 PM   #24
L0ADED

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaikenstein View Post
The timeserts are a lot stronger then the original aluminum threads. I had the dowel for the exhaust side bit not intake side. Exhaust side was the one moving.

I used a dial gauge to confirm I had a few degrees of lift on the exhaust hub. I think my root problem was with the way I tightened Dow the exhaust hub in a lopsided manner.
I would think that the hub tightened down improperly would cause something to break in the VANOS unit, mainly the small bearings that oil pump disc rides along. If both dowel pins are there and everything is torqued down, I don't see how the VANOS unit is still moving since those clearances are very tight from what I remember. It could be that the exhaust hub is pushing the VANOS unit out a bit, but even with being torqued down unevenly, I would think the few bolts that were fully tightened down would keep the hub fairly flush. If that were off, you should probably see a gap and would get a massive oil leak coming from between the head and the VANOS unit.

Probably best to recheck the hub bolts as you are saying and remount the VANOS unit following the Beisan directions. If you contact Beisan, they might have an extra dowel pin.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-31-2018, 06:09:23 PM   #25
Blaikenstein

United States

So Iíve drilled out the bolts. It looks like there might be just enough material to rethread new timesertís but Iím not 100% sure yet.

If the timesert doesnít bite what do you guys think about threading it a size up and JBL welding the timesert in place? It was originally held in by clean cut threads and red loctite but I may not have that option.