BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Jun-25-2015, 06:38:49 AM   #31
Hankdoll

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: thoughts on older M3 vs. newer f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Does the M sport alter the steering in any way relative to a base/non-M sport car?

And yes, they are every bit as fast as a 36M. I thought it felt nearly as fast as the 46M in most situations. Very impressive midrange..... just don't try to redline it

Sidebar - is your E36 sedan for sale? I'm local and serious....
With the M-sport, if you set it to sport or sport+, the steering gets much heavier. It feels much better than comfort mode although still a bit synthetic compared to the e36. The fat steering wheel helps too.

Don't think I'm ready to sell the M3 yet. It was the first new car I ever bought. Sad that it's been relegated to garage queen status (less than 5k in the last 8 years). I DD a 135is, it's fast (and the steering feel is excellent), but the e36 is like nothing else.
Old Thu, Jun-25-2015, 03:07:38 PM   #32
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
With the M-sport, if you set it to sport or sport+, the steering gets much heavier. It feels much better than comfort mode although still a bit synthetic compared to the e36. The fat steering wheel helps too.

Don't think I'm ready to sell the M3 yet. It was the first new car I ever bought. Sad that it's been relegated to garage queen status (less than 5k in the last 8 years). I DD a 135is, it's fast (and the steering feel is excellent), but the e36 is like nothing else.
Right - so my comments on the 'bad' steering, again, are based strictly on the base/non-M sport model. It's pretty bad.

If, as you say, the M-sport increases weight and gives you the M steering wheel then that (likely) changes things from bad to "pretty good". That was my biggest gripe with 328.

So with the steering "fixed", the real question is how laggy is the 4cyl with a manual trans. On the same token, a manual will give you control over short shifting, keeping you away from the high rpms (I found this to be a difficult with the auto). Could be pretty good.....

228i Msport manual, anyone?

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-25-2015, 09:43:53 PM   #33
Jeff_DML

In the garage:

Quote:

228i Msport manual, anyone?
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...st-scion-fr-s/

was not favorable to the 228 msport manual
Old Thu, Jun-25-2015, 10:11:05 PM   #34
Dr. DC2

Japan

Is anyone on this site capable of making their own automobile purchasing decisions?

You want boring and full of tech and a car note, buy an F30. You want a fun and inexpensive great all-around car, keep your E36 M3. Trying to compare or convince yourself that you'll get the best of both in one car isn't going to happen.

If you want to know how the F30 M-Sport performs, go test drive one--there's probably 50 sitting on your local BMW dealer's lot. A thread on a forum full of bias towards old M3 isn't going to reveal what driving your M3 to a BMW dealer to test drive an F30 will answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebatuga View Post
I want something as fun to drive as the M3, but with warranty and modern bells and whistles.
And I want Natalie Portman to sit on my face.
1967 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
Jump to top Dr. DC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-26-2015, 10:44:08 PM   #35
nebatuga

In the garage:

United States

Man. I've always made my own automotive purchasing decisions. I understand the point about test drives. But there are good reasons people read car reviews, talk to others, seek out information. And, again, I appreciate the informative responses in this thread; I really do.

For the record, I believe there is a sum total of one m-sport packaged 3 series on my local lot, and it's an automatic wagon. I did make the trip (at least a half day affair) to Atlanta to test drive a 6mt, m-sport equipped 328i a while back. It was one of those 12 minute "turn here," now "accelerate here," "now brake here," sorts of test drive around the predetermined route in Atlanta traffic. It wasn't enough to give me much of a sense of anything... except that I was driving a $50K plus msrp 3 series that didn't have satellite radio.

I wish I had easy access to 50 plus cars to test drive for real. I don't. So, I asked. The input from those on this forum is helpful. For now, I'm leaning toward finding another garage space, and keeping the Audi and the M3. They're both paid for, and each great in their own ways. 2016s will be out before too long anyway.
Jump to top nebatuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-28-2015, 01:10:35 PM   #36
Richardsperry
95 SC M3

United States

Unless I win the CCA raffle, I don't think I'll ever get a new BMW... (maybe the I8...)

There are just so many cars that are actually better. (usually for a lot less money...)

I've been daily driving my Mini S for the last 5 years, and I really think I'm partial to smaller cars. The new 3's and 4's are HUGE cars. (at least it feels that way to me.)

I think I'll go even smaller. Maybe a Caterham, or a Beck 550 Spyder with a 2.5l water cooled Subaru drivetrain... What radio? What AC?...lol
Old Mon, Jun-29-2015, 04:08:25 AM   #37
cracky
Next level beats

Canada

Quote:
I love the E90 steering. It's got a very natural, weighted feeling with just enough feedback. Its solid but refined. It feels much like the E46 steering.....just about perfect.
youve lost your mind. the e90 steering is terrible.
Jump to top cracky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-29-2015, 05:00:36 PM   #38
craac

United States

I have a lot of seat time in my gf's f30 328i (non sport automatic) as well as a few f30 335 and 328 loaners and they are fine for commuting and long highway road trips but leaves a lot to be desired in the sporting department.

Steering feel is probably my biggest complaint. Cannot adjust the weight on her car (non sport) but I think adding weight is just a band aid. More steering weight does not equal more steering feel. What I love about the steering in my M3 and 1M is that I can feel every little bump, crack, undulation, etc in the road through the steering wheel. It feels like there is a real connection. You don't feel anything in the f30. I think others have called it synthetic and I think that is a good interpretation. M4 that I drove felt the same way. Steering weight would build as you built speed, but it still felt synthetic and not at all connected.

The 8 speed auto coupled with the 2.0t has its pros and cons. That zf 8spd is a fantastic automatic maybe the best torque converter automatic on the market. Shifts are very fast but when playing around in manual mode there are just too many ratios to choose from. The 2.0t like many have said has plenty of mid range and dies off up top. Great for scooting around town and the highway mileage is fantastic. Engine noise is just terrible though.

GF loves it and it is a fine highway cruiser and very compliant on the choppy Houston roads. She came from a Mercedes c230 and loves how luxurious and compliant the 328 feels which I think goes to show that the 3 series is no longer a "drivers car".
Old Thu, Jul-16-2015, 05:07:33 AM   #39
chey142

United States

Get a 335i xDrive M-Sport add a Dinan Tune and then make sure it has a M-Performance Shifter and Exhaust... There is one at the dealership I work at. I think you will be more than happy. http://www.murraybmwofdenver.com/new...d52c87978c.htm

Jump to top chey142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-16-2015, 04:04:32 PM   #40
zhp43867

United States

The N20 is boring. I really wanted to like the 228i track pack I drove, but if push came to shove I'd take an MK7 GTI PP every day of the week. The E90 328i/335i are far more enjoyable. Newer BMWs have gotten more isolated, but they're still great in their own right.

Having said that, I'm really not a fan of the E90 M3. At any sane speed it is supremely boring. Its torque is meh and the chassis is far too capable to be fun on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tock172
Yeah, we get it. Everyone has the inalienable right to be a total ****ing idiot.
Jump to top zhp43867 is offline   Reply With Quote