BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Dec-05-2018, 10:45:21 PM   #21
cozmo kraemer

United States

Default Re: E46 CSL seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Not to stay off topic, but anyone willing to spend 8 grand on an ugly ass pair of Nikes made from about 45 cents worth of materials deserves to get lit on fire.
I didn't initially click that link, now in doing so it tripped a realization... I was on a subway in Paris and a guy had a bag with like 4 boxes of nike air Yeezy in it. I had no idea what the heck that was until just now and just thought the dude was stocking up. WOW! Bet he made some cash on that!!

I also can't complain, I bought my CSL seats for $3k, and that was $500 more than the guy was asking. Lucky situation, but I had been looking for them for 3 years. I also had a full interior (with door panels) for $5k slip through my fingers when I was on the way to pick it up. Since then (about 3-4 years ago) they have just continued to increase in price. Pretty good investment actually. If you can ever call a car mod that.
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, Swaintech coated SSV1 Headers/SS catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

2010 - X5 4.8 Msport - the boring daily driver

My Journal
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Dec-06-2018, 12:05:56 AM   #22
albino09
A Yankee South of the Mason-Dixon

In the garage:

United States

The presentation from Schroth was pretty good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post

... and then I responded to the "roll cage needed for harnesses" thing because it's a very common misconception that is hugely detrimental to safety. I don't know how it started, but I'm trying to nip it in the bud wherever it crops up. It results in people either running roll bars/cages on the street, which is HUGELY unsafe without a helmet and/or harnesses, or not running harnesses on track, with is significantly less safe.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying that GT3's and M4 GTS with the half cage are not safe because they are street cars with half cages?

2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Dove Grey...Journal
Jump to top albino09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-06-2018, 12:35:29 AM   #23
funkyflynz

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo kraemer View Post
I didn't initially click that link, now in doing so it tripped a realization... I was on a subway in Paris and a guy had a bag with like 4 boxes of nike air Yeezy in it. I had no idea what the heck that was until just now and just thought the dude was stocking up. WOW! Bet he made some cash on that!!

I also can't complain, I bought my CSL seats for $3k, and that was $500 more than the guy was asking. Lucky situation, but I had been looking for them for 3 years. I also had a full interior (with door panels) for $5k slip through my fingers when I was on the way to pick it up. Since then (about 3-4 years ago) they have just continued to increase in price. Pretty good investment actually. If you can ever call a car mod that.
Good info, and thanks for keeping on topic.
Jump to top funkyflynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-06-2018, 06:31:11 AM   #24
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

u guys have totally turned me off the recaros. Dammit, thought I had finally decided to get buckets. There are no CSL seats in my region though, not much choice in that regard, but considering the cost, add scroth quick fit, brackets and sliders, and it's pretty much a wash.. CSL seats are wayyyyyyy cooler.

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
368.4 whp 289.1 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-06-2018, 07:25:51 AM   #25
usdmej

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino09 View Post

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying that GT3's and M4 GTS with the half cage are not safe because they are street cars with half cages?
half cages are a different story since they're behind the driver seat. a vehicle with 3pt belts and stock seats allows for a large range of motion in an accident (which is ok since you've got airbags) if you've added a roll cage to your interior with no other mods there's a good chance you're going to make contact with those metal bars in an accident
Old Thu, Dec-06-2018, 12:22:16 PM   #26
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

The CSL seats also play nicely with the factory 3 point belts, which the huge majority of aftermarket seats do not-- huge street boon to them!

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-06-2018, 12:40:44 PM   #27
Paulo M

United States

Quote:

Id easily pay $3k for oem csl seats. Great deal! One mod Id gladly change my interior color for.
Old Thu, Dec-06-2018, 05:15:23 PM   #28
cozmo kraemer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
I’d easily pay $3k for oem csl seats. Great deal! One mod I’d gladly change my interior color for.
Problem is, I don't think you can find them for less than $5-6k-ish anymore. I was a winning bidder on an eBay-UK auction for $7k for full interior (door panels, f/r seats) and the guy wouldn't ship them (even though his auction said he would.) I had the other local full interior sell when I was on my way up there with cash. I had another local set of front seats also sell before I could get there. Then for some reason I stumbled onto the set I actually got, and it was the best deal of them all... I guess it is a lesson that you just have to stay diligent. Also, owning the car for a decade makes it easier. If you just plan on owning this car for a few years, chances are you will never find a set, or have to pay out the nose, if you really want them.
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, Swaintech coated SSV1 Headers/SS catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

2010 - X5 4.8 Msport - the boring daily driver

My Journal
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-06-2018, 05:46:19 PM   #29

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I don't know of any reason a fixed back is safer than a reclining seat, unless the reclining seat fails?

Head room: you can pretty easily get aftermarket seats lower than the CSL seats, which IMO is a better (safer) way to deal with limited head room. Even without that, I'd still run a harness-- e.g. I ran a quickfit the entire decade I was tracking with the stock seats (and with the stock seats/sunroof I had to recline the seat a bit to fit in the car at all with a helmet). In the specific instance of the roof collapsing I might be worse off, but I'd rather be better off if every other type of accident.

I think we're actually agreeing, overall-- I just pointed out the harness thing to the OP in case he hadn't considered it. For street use, the CSL seats are completely kickass, imo!

... and then I responded to the "roll cage needed for harnesses" thing because it's a very common misconception that is hugely detrimental to safety. I don't know how it started, but I'm trying to nip it in the bud wherever it crops up. It results in people either running roll bars/cages on the street, which is HUGELY unsafe without a helmet and/or harnesses, or not running harnesses on track, with is significantly less safe.
I think another common misconception or commonly debated point is that there's no safe way to secure the shoulder straps of a harness other than to a cage (welded in cage for that matter to not bolt in). At least I've heard that a few times. How do you respond to that or does Schroth have a blip on that subject as well? Thanks for providing those that was super insightful.

Engine: Karbonius CSL airbox, Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams & followers, Lang Racing rod journal widening kit w/ CP 12:1 87.5mm pistons & Carrillo rods, ARP head studs, Epic Motorsports tune, TMS Power Pulleys, ECS catch can, Supersprint V1 stepped headers & section 1, SGT scza section 3.
Drivetrain: Clutch Masters FX725, Clutch Masters Hydraulic TB, AKG stage II shifter, RE trans mounts, Motorsport 4.10 R&P, Revshift 80A diff bushings, mason clutch pedal.
Suspension/Brakes: Bilstein PSS9's, RE RSM's, UUC sway bars, PFC direct drive rotors, PFC 08's, Nitto NT05's, Motorsport Hardware 75mm stud kit.
Coming soon: Cobra Nogaro seats, Supersprint dual 2.5" section 2, RTD V2 mini shifter, BW Street/Track rear camber arms, Turner monoball RTAB's.

IG: Zach_e46M
Jump to top . is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-06-2018, 06:34:34 PM   #30
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by . View Post
I think another common misconception or commonly debated point is that there's no safe way to secure the shoulder straps of a harness other than to a cage (welded in cage for that matter to not bolt in). At least I've heard that a few times. How do you respond to that or does Schroth have a blip on that subject as well? Thanks for providing those that was super insightful.
I don't have the PDF at work, but can post up the relevant slides when I got home. But, they don't specify what it needs to mount to. What they do specify is...
-Mount point strength requirements
-hardware that is sufficiently strong those points
-belt mounting angle (vertical)
-belt containment (head rest posts or harness guides holes in the seat)
-belt inward angle and left/right mount point containment.
-unobstructed

In their quick start guide, they mention both harness bars and cages, so I don't think they're cage only. Beyond that, some of their promotional material has harnesses running to the rear deck on 911s (neither to a roll bar or cage). That said, I do think there's a lot of sketchy harness bar designs out there, so I'd be selective in which one you get if going that route.

So long as the harnesses are securely attached, unobstructed, and at proper angles, they will work as designed. They don't know what they're attached to!

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Thu, Dec-06-2018 at 06:44:03 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote