BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Dec-04-2018, 02:11:01 AM   #1
sixthspeed

United States

Default Transmission/Linkage Rattle Noise @ Clutch In Low RPM (Post SMG-6MT Conversion)

So I've done a lot of research on what this could be but I think my problem may be unique.

After my SMG to 6MT conversion, I sometimes hear this loud rattle noise coming from my transmission/bellhousing area when clutching in/releasing gas at low RPM at low speeds. I've read tons about the M-clunk, and even heard some say that there is a normal rattle from the dual mass flywheel, but the more I hear this noise, the more I feel it just can't be normal due to the sheer loudness of it. The noise also shows up sometimes during the actual shifting into 2nd or 3rd gear.

I can try to "drive around" it by clutching in/releasing gas slowly, similar to how you can avoid the differential M-clunk. It also seems to get louder after the transmission is warmed up. I've uploaded a video of the noise, linked below.

My initial thought is that maybe I missed something in the conversion process. Hoping someone maybe has encountered this before, is hearing the same noise, or someone with more experience working on this transmission has an idea of what it might be. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jump to top sixthspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Dec-04-2018, 03:13:41 AM   #2
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Default Re: Transmission/Linkage Rattle Noise @ Clutch In Low RPM (Post SMG-6MT Conversion)

Get a clutch stop or pull the trans sounds like the pivot arm is hitting the flywheel.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-04-2018, 04:03:30 AM   #3
kokgo20

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Transmission/Linkage Rattle Noise @ Clutch In Low RPM (Post SMG-6MT Conversion)

Does it happen if the car is idling in neutral?

Build thread
05/2004 SMG PY/BLK - 600 TCKline - CPI Headers & resonated Sec1- Stoptech BBK 6 pod front & 4 pod rear with steel lines - 75mm Studs conversion - PF RTABs & FCABs - AKG subframe bushings - Multi color AEs - FR-X 3.0 Projectors - Smoked Side markers - Euro bumper - V1 with hard wire & Stealth one - M Track Mod - ZCP steering rack - Dual LI - CSL Style diffuser - SCZA Exhaust - E9x Door handle LED retrofit - SCZA CSL bootlid - VEI systems custom air vent A/F & boost gauge - VEI custom air vent Water temp & oil pressure guage- Active Prima plus + FS tune - Mishimoto Radiator & Oil cooler - H&R front Sway - UUC camber arms - keyless & push to start system - clear bra - interiors red stitching contrast - Apex PS7s - 16" Spal fan
Jump to top kokgo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-04-2018, 07:54:18 AM   #4
heinzboehmer

United States

My factory 6MT car makes this sound as well. I've heard that it's just an inherent characteristic of the dual mass flywheel. I've found that if you push the clutch in more slowly/delicately at slow speeds the sound doesn't occur.

Sidenote: A very similar sound can be heard when turning the car off in neutral with the clutch out. No sound with clutch in though. Again, this is supposed to be due to the flywheel design.
Jump to top heinzboehmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-04-2018, 08:12:35 AM   #5
Bullbar

In the garage:

Australia

Not quite as loud but mine does it too. When you turn it off with the clutch out sound like the throw out bearing is stuffed but it's not. I really notice it when I have a little load like parking in first gear and push the clutch in it rattles. From what I can gather its pretty normal although I don't notice it between gear changes like your car. Mine was greatly improved when I fitted a clutch stop as Crooked Commie suggested.
Jump to top Bullbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-05-2018, 12:14:25 AM   #6
sixthspeed

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokgo20 View Post
Does it happen if the car is idling in neutral?
Does not happen if just idling.

Yeah I've heard that it could be the nature of the flywheel. I do also hear it when shutting off the car with the clutch out.

A little relieving knowing that, after sharing my video, others have comparable noises. It does seem like an awfully odd noise that's considered "normal". I appreciate all the replies and inputs. I will try a clutch stop to see if it gets any better.
Old Wed, Dec-05-2018, 01:53:24 AM   #7
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

My car's done that since I've bought it. Eventually your habits adjust to avoid it.
Old Wed, Dec-05-2018, 03:41:11 AM   #8
SlickmisterN
Surrounded By Grapes

Greece

My 2002 SMG->6spd conversion done by Performance Technic displays this phenomenon as well so did my 99 M3 coupe.

example: if I'm traveling low speed maybe 5-10mp in a parking lot lets say, and some ped. jumps out in front of me or a car starts backing out - ill have to clutch in quick and ill get the ch-ch-ch-ch. Happens in 1st and 2nd maybe 3rd too.

Only thing I've found to eliminate the chatter is to clutch in slower.
Jump to top SlickmisterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-10-2018, 09:49:36 PM   #9
sixthspeed

United States

Thanks for the reassurances. I did find it easier to control the noise after adjusting my clutch stop.