BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Dec-03-2018, 02:59:46 PM   #11
pbonsalb

Default Re: Cheapest Trans Swap

Labor to change synchros is a lot more than buying and converting an smg box. Few work on these trans - I have read of a handful in the US over the years. It’s beyond must DIYers. I think a 50 ton press is needed.

Diffsonline may be ECS’s supplier (Turner is just a shell following its purchase by ECS). Metric Mechanic might do them. Lscman is a member here who occasionally does them. VAC might have a source. Maybe Fall Line. There are few since Getrag does not sell parts.

You could use a ZF320 5 speed. You could adapt to a ZF GS6-53 (adapter plate, clutch, flywheel, linkage all needed).
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Dec-03-2018, 03:06:48 PM   #12
KS Golfer

United States

turner may be associated with ECS now, but they were racing these cars long before ECS was a twinkle in the internets eye.

i've heard this urban legend about it being assembled in a million degree oven and it's impossible to take apart. i have a hard time accepting that as it would be the only instance of that ever happening i'm aware of. who the **** makes a transmission that can't be serviced?
Old Mon, Dec-03-2018, 04:26:27 PM   #13
ddaniel1

In the garage:

United States

Getrag. It is a special transmission. I can rebuild the GM automatic in the regular E46 and most manual transmissions, but not this one. The tools and parts are not available to the public. No urban legend on this one.
Jump to top ddaniel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-03-2018, 04:55:53 PM   #14
rbmwiv

United States

$6700 for a rebuilt transmission. Wow I would just buy a whole car for half that and get everything. We buy a lot of wrecks and part them out. Copart is available to the public now you can download the app and check the auctions and find a car and bid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top rbmwiv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-03-2018, 05:06:10 PM   #15
KS Golfer

United States

expensive for sure, but if it's a known-good unit, that's better than brand new, i kinda get it.

i also understand that nobody has been able to easily source the parts and tools....but i really struggle with accepting that this ****ing unicorn turd of a box is so mega special and made of unobtanium that it can't be serviced. maybe nobody has been interested enough to figure it out, but that it's unpossible makes me do the Jackie Chan

Old Mon, Dec-03-2018, 05:12:37 PM   #16
04yfz

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Golfer View Post
expensive for sure, but if it's a known-good unit, that's better than brand new, i kinda get it.

i also understand that nobody has been able to easily source the parts and tools....but i really struggle with accepting that this ****ing unicorn turd of a box is so mega special and made of unobtanium that it can't be serviced. maybe nobody has been interested enough to figure it out, but that it's unpossible makes me do the Jackie Chan
The problem isnt the tools, the parts simply aren't available.

Last edited by 04yfz; Tue, Dec-04-2018 at 05:05:57 AM.
Jump to top 04yfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-03-2018, 05:17:36 PM   #17
KS Golfer

United States

but if turner is building boxes for retail availability.....the parts are available somewhere.
Old Mon, Dec-03-2018, 06:07:01 PM   #18
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Golfer View Post

I mean Iím skeptical of the claims of it being better than new, and a new transmission can be bought from BMW for about $4800. I donít know why Iíd pay $2k more for an aftermarket rebuild.
Old Mon, Dec-03-2018, 06:08:33 PM   #19
KS Golfer

United States

if new ones are available for $4800 i'd tend to agree for a street car. the REM process for the gears is beneficial in a racing environment....particularly in the SCCA T2 class this was probably originally sold to.
Old Mon, Dec-03-2018, 06:14:00 PM   #20
Andrew 06M3Cab

Canada

Two years ago BMW Canada quoted me almost $17k for a new Getrag, or about $6500 for a rebuilt one. Can't recall if that included labour. In the end the problem wasn't the transmission itself, so thankfully I didn't have to go there.....
Jump to top Andrew 06M3Cab is offline   Reply With Quote