BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Dec-02-2018, 07:01:30 AM   #31
rovert604

Canada

Default Rasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
Also adding resonators does not close them back up lol. A resonator is a straight thru perforated pipe wrapped with steel wool and a can around it. If anything it increases flow rather than decrease it, while doing away with bad resonanating frequencies, hence the name.

Hereís a picture to support this claim...inside of my AR20:

Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Dec-02-2018, 07:56:08 AM   #32
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Rasp

As far as I'm concerned, when talking exhaust sound for this car, you have to qualify it with either stock size piping, most important at the headers moving back, roughly 2"-2.25"-2.36" or SS/custom 2.5" all the way or most of the way.

Most of you wouldn't understand as vast majority have stock size piping for all or most of their sections, but it's a game changer.

Slap an ss race on a stock m3 and it sounds horrible *except maybe above 6k

But a full SS system with race (hell, any muffler almost) is amazing.

I want my car loud and nasty, a cacophony of all that is right about motorsports. I want a religious experience lol. Don't want to tame it down. But you go right ahead...

∑Evolve-R Alpha N ∑ Evolve CSL CF Airbox ∑ Eventuri Scoop ∑ Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm ∑ SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC ∑ OE sect 2 60mm ∑ SS Sport 60mm
∑Besian ∑ RE pullies/fan delete ∑ WPC rod bearings ∑ GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs ∑ TMS Camber & Subframe plates ∑ SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
∑RE Trans Mounts ∑ AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a ∑ SDW RTAB ∑ Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush ∑ OE CSL trunk ∑ APEX 75mm Studs
∑Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" ∑ MPSS 245/275 ∑ Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE "D738" FF ∑ CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
∑Pioneer DEH-80PRS ∑ Eclipse PA5422 ∑ CDT HD-6 + WS-100i ∑ CDT EX-530 ∑ 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 ∑ PPI 1600.4 ∑ CDT HD-6 + HD-100 ∑ CDT EX-530 ∑ DVC 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-02-2018, 08:06:47 AM   #33
bostonbruck

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Yep, exactly. I was just trying to keep it simplified as I have a tendency to write a lot, but you are spot on. Those mufflers were never designed or intended to be ran on an otherwise stock exhaust. Take the Supersprint Lightweight Race Muffler. Incredible performing and sounding muffler when ran with the full Supersprint exhaust system -- Which is how it was designed. However, if you JUST buy that muffler and install it on your stock exhaust, not only will the performance not match how it was designed, but it will sound like crap. My RE El Diablo sounded fantastic on its own...add in headers and it got any better. In the case of Supersprint, their Street and Sport would be equivalent to this depending on volume preferences.
I am running all stock with supersprint race muffler. I do think it sounds better than stock however it is raspy. Not a huge change either, just louder. Canít wait to get headers! Probably will go with supersprint v1.

2002 Jet black 6MT Coupe Beisan Vanos, Gloss black grills, F10 M5 knob, Supersprint Race Muffler, Powerflx rtabs, maintenance
Jump to top bostonbruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-02-2018, 08:34:39 AM   #34
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

OP, like what I said, Hassan is spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, when talking exhaust sound for this car, you have to qualify it with either stock size piping, most important at the headers moving back, roughly 2"-2.25"-2.36" or SS/custom 2.5" all the way or most of the way.

Most of you wouldn't understand as vast majority have stock size piping for all or most of their sections, but it's a game changer.

Slap an ss race on a stock m3 and it sounds horrible *except maybe above 6k

But a full SS system with race (hell, any muffler almost) is amazing.

I want my car loud and nasty, a cacophony of all that is right about motorsports. I want a religious experience lol. Don't want to tame it down. But you go right ahead...
200% this. You and me both, brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbruck View Post
I am running all stock with supersprint race muffler. I do think it sounds better than stock however it is raspy. Not a huge change either, just louder. Canít wait to get headers! Probably will go with supersprint v1.
Do it right the first time with the SS V1s and never look back. If you think it sounds good now, just wait until you hear those headers/section 1 with that muffler. The power is fantastic too.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-02-2018, 01:23:59 PM   #35
KS Golfer

United States

that full supersprint exhaust you guys are all swooning over, it's over $6k new from ECS. you can't tell me that's not insane. the intake is $3k by the time you're done with everything. Cams are another $1500.

Yes, it makes a f-ton of power for a NA 6 for sure, so now you've got to control it. Good brakes and suspension is another $5k. So to do this car "right" without even considering the VANOS lockdown ($1k), and subframe reinforcement ($2k), or other relatively basic required maintenance if you want to modify the car RIGHT but also own it for the long haul. I think you need to expect to at least double the purchase price of the car at current market rates.

then there's the CSL boot and roof ($2k ea), seats ($2k), and bodywork/repaint ($5-$8k probably).

there are ways to pick up used stuff, and DIY to save some cash, but i don't think you can in any way consider it a "cheap" car to own and modify properly. with that said....i plan on doing all of the above without hesitation as it's not a car I'm going to sell.
Old Sun, Dec-02-2018, 02:32:48 PM   #36
matty088

What is VANOS lock down? Thatís another question. My car has 70k. Am I suppose to have the vanos dialed in?

I appreciate you guys taking me through this stuff. Please know I am researching stuff away from this thread. Searching etc.

My issue with the exhaust is that I need to keep the cats. What are u guys thinking aboit stattus gruppe cats? If i sprang for the steppes sst headers will those cats hold it back ?
Jump to top matty088 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-02-2018, 02:47:28 PM   #37
KS Golfer

United States

VANOS; http://www.beisansystems.com/

i'm not sure where to get the OE CSL sect 1 that has cats in it, but you can basically cut your exhaust system cost in half with CSL headers and sect 1. or you can just hack up your existing sect 1 and weld in some cats.
Old Sun, Dec-02-2018, 07:13:23 PM   #38
matty088

Debateable. Resonators can cause turbulence. But itís small so nothing to debear
Jump to top matty088 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-02-2018, 07:42:57 PM   #39
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
Debateable. Resonators can cause turbulence. But itís small so nothing to debear
No sir. They actually cause better flow, as the the gases don't drag on the sides of the perforated pipe as much since they would be gliding on air half of the time. That turbulence also is the exact reason why it outflows the straight pipe since it breaks off vertices that would form along the sides of the inner tube and create drag.

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
368.4 whp 289.1 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-02-2018, 08:09:31 PM   #40
rovert604

Canada

Like golf ball dimples!!