BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Nov-27-2018, 08:01:22 PM   #31
stogybear

Armenia

Default Re: OEM ZCP Rims Color, Best Powder Coat Match?

I've never seen ZCPs match after powder coat. The hyper silver paint process is black base coat -> silver dusted on in a vacuum -> clear coat. Lechler 66009 is the closest silver to hyper silver but it's unavailable in the states.

I'm personally planning on using the Audi L1H7 paint as it's a really bright silver and looks the closest to ZCP imo.

Attached the pdf of Lechler.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sparklingdata-2.pdf (62.4 KB, 2 views)

2005 AW M3 - 6MT - Bay Area

Last edited by stogybear; Tue, Nov-27-2018 at 08:05:45 PM.
Jump to top stogybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Nov-27-2018, 11:12:06 PM   #32
Kdubski

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogybear View Post
I've never seen ZCPs match after powder coat. The hyper silver paint process is black base coat -> silver dusted on in a vacuum -> clear coat. Lechler 66009 is the closest silver to hyper silver but it's unavailable in the states.

I'm personally planning on using the Audi L1H7 paint as it's a really bright silver and looks the closest to ZCP imo.

Attached the pdf of Lechler.

Thanks for providing the paint code. I have family in europe that I may bother to get me a can of this junk.
Jump to top Kdubski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-27-2018, 11:57:51 PM   #33
stogybear

Armenia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdubski View Post
Thanks for providing the paint code. I have family in europe that I may bother to get me a can of this junk.
Can I get some too? haha

2005 AW M3 - 6MT - Bay Area
Jump to top stogybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-28-2018, 05:06:05 PM   #34
campful

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdubski View Post
Just ordered ~20 paint swaths (samples) from Prismatic. The color that I believe is a close match (slick silver) is sold out due to high demand for samples. I'm excited for it to be back in stock.

I will try to find someone in my area with OEM competition wheels for comparison sake. once the swaths come in.
Slick silver also looks decent. On the waiting list for it to come back in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Unless the finish is a 100% match, I think you’re doing a disservice to your car (assuming you want the original csl/zcp finish). I’d buy a new set before I settle for a 90% match for these wheels. The wheel and their finish is truly special especially when seen next to a “standard” silver finish. Once I get enough chips on my wheels, which will happen, I’ll be looking for a shop that can truly match the finish.

There’s a shop in Europe that I saw do a perfect match, I believe they do a multi-stage powdercoat/paint. There was a thread on m3cutters about it.
These are my secondary set of wheels. Would love to buy a brand new set but it just doesn't make sense. Not going for 100% match, just something that's close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
My only issue with this color is that sometimes it looks on point, but then in other pictures it looks WAYYY to dark. Perhaps there were variations in the powder coating process.
https://www.campful.co/m3journal
https://www.instagram.com/cb_m3/
Jump to top campful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-28-2018, 06:05:33 PM   #35
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by campful View Post

These are my secondary set of wheels. Would love to buy a brand new set but it just doesn't make sense. Not going for 100% match, just something that's close.

My only issue with this color is that sometimes it looks on point, but then in other pictures it looks WAYYY to dark. Perhaps there were variations in the powder coating process.
My logic is, I can sell my current set for decent price and just add $ to buy new set. Instead of using the $ for powdercoat, Iíll just add that to the $ I got from my old set.
Old Wed, Nov-28-2018, 09:35:50 PM   #36
RedOctober330

United States

Anyone ever do these in black? My new M3 is red over black and Iím tempted to as they need a refinish.
Jump to top RedOctober330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-28-2018, 09:39:08 PM   #37
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober330 View Post
Anyone ever do these in black? My new M3 is red over black and I’m tempted to as they need a refinish.
The problem is they end up looking cheap, like csl reps. You lose the amazing finish as well as the lines.

I have seen a csl that painted their wheels black, the stance and beautiful bbk behind the spokes made it work. So I guess it depends on your overall mods on how good it’ll look in black imo.

Here’s a great example
http://www.speedhunters.com/2009/09/...mw_e46_m3_csl/
Old Wed, Nov-28-2018, 09:41:20 PM   #38
RedOctober330

United States

Quote:
The problem is they end up looking cheap, like csl reps. You lose the amazing finish as well as the lines.

I have seen a csl that painted their wheels black, the stance and beautiful bbk behind the spokes made it work. So I guess it depends on your overall mods on how good itíll look in black imo.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2009/09/...mw_e46_m3_csl/

Interesting. The car is 100% and will most likely stay that way, although it will get some track mods. Prob coil overs.
Jump to top RedOctober330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-28-2018, 10:38:46 PM   #39
campful

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
My logic is, I can sell my current set for decent price and just add $ to buy new set. Instead of using the $ for powdercoat, Iíll just add that to the $ I got from my old set.
This is a option. Mine are already powdercoated so I doubt I could get that much for them. The path of least resistance is for me to try to refinish the set I already have. Appreciate your viewpoint on it though! It for sure is the best option if I wanted a 100% match/original paint.
https://www.campful.co/m3journal
https://www.instagram.com/cb_m3/
Jump to top campful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-28-2018, 11:03:16 PM   #40
Braymond141

United States

Porsche Silver is probably the closest match you're going to find that will actually come out silver. It is CRITICAL that the coater blasts the wheels with a 300grit+ glass prior to application. If the bare metal looks dull and gray, your power will look dull and gray (I do not care what your guy tells you, the base metal color absolutely will change the look of the powder). They must have some luster to them.

I would advise you not to use clear vision clear. It cracks after a few years. I would avoid powder based clears altogether.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote