BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Nov-22-2018, 05:17:32 AM   #11
antknee

Philippines

Default Re: OEM ZCP Rims Color, Best Powder Coat Match?

This isn’t my car but i remember seeing this thread of someone else powder coating in Porsche silver. You can see the color is a bit off.

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=473778

When i went to refinish my Alpina wheels i wanted them as close to that oem finish on our zcp wheels. My powdercoater (Espos powdercoating) gave me booklets of diff brands and samples and looking at the samples the Porsche silver by Prismatic looked the closest. Don’t get me wrong i love them on my e30, but you won’t be able to 100% replicate the oem finish by powdercoating.

I’ll try to post pics tomorrow of my Alpinas....it might not be a good comparison since i chose a semi-gloss finish....but it has a metallic finish (not the larger flakes like in other generic silvers)in it like the ZCP wheels although the hue of the silver has a hint of blue in certain lights

Current:
'05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
'90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)

Past:
'88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
'01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
'90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
'89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*
Jump to top antknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Nov-25-2018, 01:02:40 AM   #12
campful

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftapache View Post
Mine was recently done with prismatic BMW silver. darker than the zcp color.

I'd try Pacific Silver or hyper silver if I was to do it again for OEM match. Otherwise I'd go with something metallic red with gloss.Attachment 213004

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Pacific silver looks on point from their pictures that they provided. This might be the color I pull the trigger on.
https://www.campful.co/m3journal
https://www.instagram.com/cb_m3/
Jump to top campful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-25-2018, 01:09:03 AM   #13
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

It'll cost more but paint over powder is probably the best way to match a very specific color. I'm in the same boat with my ACS Type IIIs. I bought a set in rough shape and had them powder coated silver last year, but they are the wrong shade of silver compared to the NOS center caps. Been delaying the inevitable cost to have them re-refinished, but I'll be doing paint this time around.
Old Mon, Nov-26-2018, 03:44:23 AM   #14
Kdubski

In the garage:

United States

Interested to see how the platinum silver looks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Jump to top Kdubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-26-2018, 10:14:36 PM   #15
Kdubski

In the garage:

United States

Just ordered ~20 paint swaths (samples) from Prismatic. The color that I believe is a close match (slick silver) is sold out due to high demand for samples. I'm excited for it to be back in stock.

I will try to find someone in my area with OEM competition wheels for comparison sake. once the swaths come in.
Jump to top Kdubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-26-2018, 10:37:44 PM   #16
Paulo M

United States

Unless the finish is a 100% match, I think you’re doing a disservice to your car (assuming you want the original csl/zcp finish). I’d buy a new set before I settle for a 90% match for these wheels. The wheel and their finish is truly special especially when seen next to a “standard” silver finish. Once I get enough chips on my wheels, which will happen, I’ll be looking for a shop that can truly match the finish.

There’s a shop in Europe that I saw do a perfect match, I believe they do a multi-stage powdercoat/paint. There was a thread on m3cutters about it.
Old Mon, Nov-26-2018, 10:39:53 PM   #17
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
It'll cost more but paint over powder is probably the best way to match a very specific color. I'm in the same boat with my ACS Type IIIs. I bought a set in rough shape and had them powder coated silver last year, but they are the wrong shade of silver compared to the NOS center caps. Been delaying the inevitable cost to have them re-refinished, but I'll be doing paint this time around.

Agreed. Paint over powder, for sure. I just had my ZCP rims refinished, but I went with paint. And since local BMW dealer did it for me, I didn't even ask what color they used - they do so many of them, and it was a perfect match.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-27-2018, 12:20:07 AM   #18
neopolymath

In the garage:

United States

If these wheels are like the M roadster or e39 M5 then they are powdercoated and then painted. I could not observe a difference between my zcp wheel color and my roadster wheels so I would guess it is the same process. If you can find a shop that can do perfect shadowchrome from the above mentioned cars, I guarantee you they will be able to replicate the hypersilver as it has far less variation/difficulty matching. There were a lot of wheel repair places that had perfect matches when I asked other enthusiasts so I bet you could just shoot some emails their way. Prince wheels in the Carolinas comes to mind.
Jump to top neopolymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-27-2018, 12:28:33 AM   #19
ftapache

United States

You can also try this one, it's going to cost more.

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/gal...ision-top-coat

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old Tue, Nov-27-2018, 01:33:44 AM   #20
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopolymath View Post
If these wheels are like the M roadster or e39 M5 then they are powdercoated and then painted. I could not observe a difference between my zcp wheel color and my roadster wheels so I would guess it is the same process. If you can find a shop that can do perfect shadowchrome from the above mentioned cars, I guarantee you they will be able to replicate the hypersilver as it has far less variation/difficulty matching. There were a lot of wheel repair places that had perfect matches when I asked other enthusiasts so I bet you could just shoot some emails their way. Prince wheels in the Carolinas comes to mind.
ZCPs are NOT shadow chrome coated. They are more Hyper Silver, though hypersilvers are different depending on manufacturers.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote