BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Nov-14-2018, 04:22:03 PM   #31
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

Default Re: Hard to let go of M3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
I would LOVE to have an E39 M5 as an every day M-car. It's probably perfection for that.

I just can't justify the price for a clean one and I'm tired of wrenching on cars.
This. I think it's one of the best looking sedans out there (love the Touring even more), especially in Imola Red.

However, I just don't love it enough to add yet another car to wrench on. 3 M cars is enough. If anything, I'm looking to add a comfy DD (thinking Toyota Tundra but scared of gas mileage) and calling it a day until I get to a point where I can afford to get a 997TT.

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-14-2018, 04:36:29 PM   #32
oceansize
Kwisatz Haderach

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I would LOVE to have an E39 M5 as an every day M-car. It's probably perfection for that.

I just can't justify the price for a clean one and I'm tired of wrenching on cars.
DD has to be reliable otherwise we would all be tired of wrenching. If I get frustrated/tired/mad I drop the tools and walk away instantly. There was a time I couldn't walk away but that was killing me mentally (physically I'm older but fine) as then it became a job. I'm much more chill these days and the M3 is strictly fun. No hurry. No rush. No stress. Stuff gets done when it gets done.
Jump to top oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-02-2018, 10:48:08 PM   #33
nixtfy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Can’t be that hard to let go, considering it’s the one car out of 5 you gave up. Plenty of other e46’s to choose from in the future if you ever want to go back.
Hey guys sorry to chime in soo late. I have been on vacation the past 3 weeks. I really appreciate the feed back.

I like the M3!! Hands down it has the best appearance. Frankly everything that makes my M3 rare ( slicktop manual alpine white cloth) is not why I originally purchased it. I would have preferred a fully optioned LSB or Phoenix Yellow car because I don’t track cars. The M3 at the time was hard to pass up solely based upon all dealer maintenance, Essentially one owner. Clean Arizona car, clean Carfax, but more importantly almost perfect paint with no repaints. Regrettably, I know it will not be easy to find another clean car.

The e39 M5 purchase was an opportunity I could not pass up. A friend from years back called ME about selling it. He was very fair on the price with the friend discount. Humorously his wife told me she could not wait to see it go because of parking issues.
I have 3 coupes and 3 kids and have missed not having a 4 door after selling the e36 M3 4 door. The M5 is the ultimate BMW Sedan. Yet to find a better car on the highway and the torque in every gear is addictive.
87' 325is sold
89' 535i sold
78' 911 SC sold
81' 911 SC ROW sold
02' 525it sold

Last edited by nixtfy; Mon, Dec-03-2018 at 12:17:46 AM.
Jump to top nixtfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-02-2018, 11:31:26 PM   #34
SeanE46

In the garage:

Armenia

Don’t do it! That’s an amazing combo! If you do make sure to give me a heads up though
Jump to top SeanE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-03-2018, 01:11:17 AM   #35
nixtfy

In the garage:

United States

Yes it’s a great color combo. I will miss The cloth anthrazit interior.
87' 325is sold
89' 535i sold
78' 911 SC sold
81' 911 SC ROW sold
02' 525it sold

Last edited by nixtfy; Mon, Dec-03-2018 at 02:28:52 AM.
Jump to top nixtfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-05-2018, 10:18:52 AM   #36
Tachyon

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixtfy View Post
Hey guys sorry to chime in soo late. I have been on vacation the past 3 weeks. I really appreciate the feed back.

I like the M3!! Hands down it has the best appearance. Frankly everything that makes my M3 rare ( slicktop manual alpine white cloth) is not why I originally purchased it. I would have preferred a fully optioned LSB or Phoenix Yellow car because I don’t track cars. The M3 at the time was hard to pass up solely based upon all dealer maintenance, Essentially one owner. Clean Arizona car, clean Carfax, but more importantly almost perfect paint with no repaints. Regrettably, I know it will not be easy to find another clean car.

The e39 M5 purchase was an opportunity I could not pass up. A friend from years back called ME about selling it. He was very fair on the price with the friend discount. Humorously his wife told me she could not wait to see it go because of parking issues.
I have 3 coupes and 3 kids and have missed not having a 4 door after selling the e36 M3 4 door. The M5 is the ultimate BMW Sedan. Yet to find a better car on the highway and the torque in every gear is addictive.
Congratulations on your E39 M5 purchase! I miss mine dearly having sold it earlier this year. Thankfully, it went to another BMW M enthusiast (E30 M3 owner) in Colorado. Thanks for the update and enjoy the M5!
Jump to top Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-05-2018, 01:29:34 PM   #37
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
This. I think it's one of the best looking sedans out there (love the Touring even more), especially in Imola Red.

However, I just don't love it enough to add yet another car to wrench on. 3 M cars is enough. If anything, I'm looking to add a comfy DD (thinking Toyota Tundra but scared of gas mileage) and calling it a day until I get to a point where I can afford to get a 997TT.
Totally. But I've always been a proponent of the mult-car setup (and one of them not being an M-car, mandatory).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansize View Post
DD has to be reliable otherwise we would all be tired of wrenching. If I get frustrated/tired/mad I drop the tools and walk away instantly. There was a time I couldn't walk away but that was killing me mentally (physically I'm older but fine) as then it became a job. I'm much more chill these days and the M3 is strictly fun. No hurry. No rush. No stress. Stuff gets done when it gets done.
Yep, totally agree. I've been living that model for many, many years. There have been times when my M3 would be on jack stands for weeks.

That said, maintenance aside, I think the E39 M5 is probably the best DD M car from a purely driving standpoint. It's got the refinement that no M3/4 can touch, the smooth torquey NA motor, classic good looks and a good overall size. Plus luxurious whilst still very sporty. Plus it's just a freakin' badass BMW muscle car.

At this point I can afford to have my cars professionally maintained but the clean 39M prices are getting ridic. I'm not spending $40k on an old ass Bimmer, haha. Edit, prices don't look that bad actually.

2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/Black Cloth "stripper"
2004 E46 M3 6MT SG/Black

Last edited by EricSMG; Wed, Dec-05-2018 at 01:41:08 PM.
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-05-2018, 01:57:35 PM   #38
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
That said, maintenance aside, I think the E39 M5 is probably the best DD M car from a purely driving standpoint. It's got the refinement that no M3/4 can touch, the smooth torquey NA motor, classic good looks and a good overall size. Plus luxurious whilst still very sporty. Plus it's just a freakin' badass BMW muscle car.
I think it's like also the most reliable M car, which doesn't hurt it's DDablity. It's crazy how many 300-400,000 miles cars are on M5 board, many of which are cruising along on "fix it when it breaks" mind set-- especially since they're not that old yet (similar age to the e46).

... but I prefer it as my wife's DD, as it's too large/heavy/torquey for me to really enjoy.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-05-2018, 02:28:56 PM   #39
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

I'm not sure how you feel about American cars but the Chevy SS may be one to look at. I love how ordinary yet not unattractive the styling is, it's a proper daily sleeper
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-05-2018, 03:05:03 PM   #40
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post
I'm not sure how you feel about American cars but the Chevy SS may be one to look at. I love how ordinary yet not unattractive the styling is, it's a proper daily sleeper
It might be super hard/impossible to get parts for it, which could cramp it as a DD-- barely sold any in america (so won't be much community support); Holden is gone. Certainly the engine won't be an issue, but the rest of the car-- could be a very serious issue as an owner.

The part support for american cars in general is pretty terrible, and the SS will likely be exceptionally bad. e.g. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...blic-1.3746577
(and that link is 2 years old)

The German's are pretty unrivaled when it comes to part support.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Wed, Dec-05-2018 at 03:49:14 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote