BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Tue, Nov-13-2018, 07:18:15 PM   #21
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 36,599
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: Hard to let go of M3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopolymath View Post
What are the big, model-specific issues e39 M5s have similar to our vanos/rod bearings/subframe trifecta?

I just remember briefly reading about people worrying about rust, electrical gremlins, and that (seemingly) controversial carbon buildup.

I only briefly considered buying one years ago, but did not because I could not find one that was taken care of and around 100-120k for a decent price. I really liked the one I drove but it appears all of them are 150k for 18k type cars and I just can't get down with that.
There really aren't any-- it's a very reliable car. Perhaps the most reliable M car? (likely because of the way low HP/L, non real M engine).
-Replace the timing chain tensioner every ~100,000 miles. If you don't do this, you'll need to replace the guides later (PITA). The M5 doesn't run hot like the 540i, so its guides are fine if you keep the tensioner fresh(ish)
-the carbon buildup "issue" can be addressed by removing the secondary air pump and coding off the errors. This lets you pass emissions and forever fixes the issue
-if you really drive like a dick, add a gusset to the front diff mount.
-if you rev to redline frequently, at some point you'll have to do rod bearings. But... there's no real real to rev to redline, as power falls off after 6500rpm. Drive it the fastest way possible (not to redline), and the bearings go a long, long time (nearly 200,000 miles on mine, original, driven hard)
-if you're inept at stick, the clutch will suffer. If you're not, it lasts a long time (mine's original at nearly 200,000 miles).

Cooling system is one of BMW's most reliable efforts. ~150,000 mile replacement interval.

Like every car, replace all the bushings/bearings/ball joints every ~100,000 miles to keep it feeling new car tight.

Electronics are pretty much the same parts as the e46-- many are interchangeable with the e46. Reliable. They do get unhappy if your battery is weak. Replace (or charge) the battery, functionality restored.

It's a really, really good car. It's comfortable, easy, plenty fast, effortless, reliable, and solid. It's just not a driving experience like the e46M is.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Tue, Nov-13-2018 at 07:35:25 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Nov-13-2018, 07:21:07 PM   #22
ameerskhan96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Age: 22
Posts: 2
Reputation: 0 ameerskhan96 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Hard to let go of M3..

Hopefully after I finish my E46 m3 I'll get a e39 m5. Might not be as nimble as an E46 but probably the most badass NA v8 bmw produced imho

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Jump to top ameerskhan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-13-2018, 07:27:12 PM   #23
EricSMG
40 something
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,902
Reputation: 0 EricSMG is on a distinguished road
Location: San Diego

United States




Default Re: Hard to let go of M3..

I would LOVE to have an E39 M5 as an every day M-car. It's probably perfection for that.

I just can't justify the price for a clean one and I'm tired of wrenching on cars.
__________________


'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-13-2018, 08:24:49 PM   #24
neopolymath
Registered User
 
neopolymath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 90
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 neopolymath is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Hard to let go of M3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
There really aren't any-- it's a very reliable car. Perhaps the most reliable M car? (likely because of the way low HP/L, non real M engine).
-Replace the timing chain tensioner every ~100,000 miles. If you don't do this, you'll need to replace the guides later (PITA). The M5 doesn't run hot like the 540i, so its guides are fine if you keep the tensioner fresh(ish)
-the carbon buildup "issue" can be addressed by removing the secondary air pump and coding off the errors. This lets you pass emissions and forever fixes the issue
-if you really drive like a dick, add a gusset to the front diff mount.
-if you rev to redline frequently, at some point you'll have to do rod bearings. But... there's no real real to rev to redline, as power falls off after 6500rpm. Drive it the fastest way possible (not to redline), and the bearings go a long, long time (nearly 200,000 miles on mine, original, driven hard)
-if you're inept at stick, the clutch will suffer. If you're not, it lasts a long time (mine's original at nearly 200,000 miles).

Cooling system is one of BMW's most reliable efforts. ~150,000 mile replacement interval.

Like every car, replace all the bushings/bearings/ball joints every ~100,000 miles to keep it feeling new car tight.

Electronics are pretty much the same parts as the e46-- many are interchangeable with the e46. Reliable. They do get unhappy if your battery is weak. Replace (or charge) the battery, functionality restored.

It's a really, really good car. It's comfortable, easy, plenty fast, effortless, reliable, and solid. It's just not a driving experience like the e46M is.
Thanks for your input. I would honestly prefer that vehicle in a lot of ways. We will see how stubborn I am regarding car seats in a 2 door.
Jump to top neopolymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-13-2018, 10:36:40 PM   #25
Rich.7
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 58
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Rich.7 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Hard to let go of M3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Canít be that hard to let go, considering itís the one car out of 5 you gave up. Plenty of other e46ís to choose from in the future if you ever want to go back.
It's getting harder to find clean no history examples under 100k miles. Values are also going up with dealers that favor selling M3s very quickly buying up good examples.
Jump to top Rich.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-14-2018, 12:05:57 AM   #26
Smoove1
Registered User
 
Smoove1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 33
Posts: 64
Reputation: 0 Smoove1 is on a distinguished road
Location: Corona

United States




Default Re: Hard to let go of M3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
M3 M3 M3 M3 M3 M3 M3 M3 M3.

Not a second of hesitation. I'd sell all the other cars and the house before the M3, particularly in its current state

M5 is a really good "normal" car. The M3 is a 90s exotic in a practical body, with easy serviceability. That comes with some civility compromises, but I don't mind any of them in the slightest.

... That said, the M5 is my go to when driving people around, especially if they're older
I own both as well. I would keep my M5 over the M3 if I had to choose. It's a better all around car that can still be fun around a race track. Yeah, it'll eat the brakes, tires, and bushings but it'll still do most of the stuff or be completely sideways trying to do the stuff. The M3 (my M3) became a terrible car to drive everyday once I started modding it. I've been stealing the wife's Range Rover to tow it to the track. Maybe I'm just getting old. I've been strongly considering selling my M3 since it's only used for track days. It serves no other purpose and my one year old has no where to sit due to my "super cool" roll bar.
__________________


My Build Thread
Jump to top Smoove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-14-2018, 12:08:38 AM   #27
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 36,599
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: Hard to let go of M3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoove1 View Post
I own both as well. I would keep my M5 over the M3 if I had to choose. It's a better all around car that can still be fun around a race track. Yeah, it'll eat the brakes, tires, and bushings but it'll still do most of the stuff or be completely sideways trying to do the stuff. The M3 (my M3) became a terrible car to drive everyday once I started modding it. I've been stealing the wife's Range Rover to tow it to the track. Maybe I'm just getting old. I've been strongly considering selling my M3 since it's only used for track days. It serves no other purpose and my one year old has no where to sit due to my "super cool" roll bar.
I donít know if itís fair to hold your modding decisions against the car :P
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-14-2018, 12:22:03 AM   #28
e46Dawg
Registered User
 
e46Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,138
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 e46Dawg is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Hard to let go of M3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjunkie11 View Post
If he's posting a thread like this he'll regret it. Usually when you ask for advice you're second guessing yourself and looking for someone to say you're making the right decision. If he really didn't care and wouldn't regret it he would have just sold it.
Unless he started the same "Hard to let go of" threads on a Porsche, Mazda or Honda forum, this is probably the easiest for him to let go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.7 View Post
It's getting harder to find clean no history examples under 100k miles. Values are also going up with dealers that favor selling M3s very quickly buying up good examples.
I have this car. 2004, Silver Grey with black leather, 93k miles, manual, no nav or parking sensors, clean history, pretty much stock (unless aftermarket was an actual improvement) and a binder of records. What's it worth? Feel like it's been maybe very high teens or low $20's for five years now. Haven't noticed any significant increase.
Jump to top e46Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-14-2018, 12:27:45 AM   #29
Smoove1
Registered User
 
Smoove1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 33
Posts: 64
Reputation: 0 Smoove1 is on a distinguished road
Location: Corona

United States




Default Re: Hard to let go of M3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I donít know if itís fair to hold your modding decisions against the car :P
Yeah, I ruined it for street use. Fast track cars make terrible street cars and it goes around a track pretty good so...
__________________


My Build Thread
Jump to top Smoove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-14-2018, 12:47:25 AM   #30
DJ///M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Reputation: 0 DJ///M3 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Hard to let go of M3..

OP: E46 M3 AW/black cloth 6MT slicktop is a nice combo. Like others I own both e46 M3 and e39 M5 (Royal Red w/Caramel). If I had to choose it would be my M5. When get bored with my M3, & M5 I drive my X5M. From a practical approach the e39 M5 makes senses for your family. However your e46 M3 warrants careful consideration for potential upside in value down the road.

It's a tough decision. Both platforms are very good for their intended purpose. Do what is best for you and your family.
Jump to top DJ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Hard to let go of M3.. in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)