BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Dec-03-2018, 04:35:28 PM   #21
nextelbuddy1

United States

Default Re: Leather Swap on Front/Passenger Seats

just curious... if all you are doing is swapping the leathers from power seats to your manual seat bases..

whats wrong with just removing the seat leather/foam assemblies from the power seat frame? and then reinstalling the complete cinnamon leather/foam assemblies onto your manual base frames?

it should be a direct swap...

in the case you are trying swap the passenger side seat foam to the driver side then that means you are going to have to remove the passenger seat side leather from the seat foam to get to the SRS occupancy sensor to swap it over to the new passenger side seat foam/leather assemblies.

you can use needle nose pliers to expand each hog ring open so that you can save them and reuse them but you still need hog ring pliers to pinch them closed again. I use long 90 degree angle ones sometimes to help.

I bought a set of pliers and a bag of hog rings on amazon so i just use snps and cut all the rings out and use new ones. saves your fingers and some time.

ive done 3 sets of heated seat retrofits and have had to all of this numerous times. i hate it each time'its a slow grind process :/'

if you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask on here. happy to lend any advice that could cause less frustrations lol.

good luck
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Dec-04-2018, 08:12:05 PM   #22
conniem3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextelbuddy1 View Post
just curious... if all you are doing is swapping the leathers from power seats to your manual seat bases..

whats wrong with just removing the seat leather/foam assemblies from the power seat frame? and then reinstalling the complete cinnamon leather/foam assemblies onto your manual base frames?

it should be a direct swap...

in the case you are trying swap the passenger side seat foam to the driver side then that means you are going to have to remove the passenger seat side leather from the seat foam to get to the SRS occupancy sensor to swap it over to the new passenger side seat foam/leather assemblies.

you can use needle nose pliers to expand each hog ring open so that you can save them and reuse them but you still need hog ring pliers to pinch them closed again. I use long 90 degree angle ones sometimes to help.

I bought a set of pliers and a bag of hog rings on amazon so i just use snps and cut all the rings out and use new ones. saves your fingers and some time.

ive done 3 sets of heated seat retrofits and have had to all of this numerous times. i hate it each time'its a slow grind process :/'

if you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask on here. happy to lend any advice that could cause less frustrations lol.

good luck

I realize I didn't word it right haha, when I say "leather only" I technically mean "leather and foam" lol. My bad. I'm doing a direct swap from driver>driver, passenger>passenger. I ordered my pliers + rings on amazon too, just waiting for it to come in now.

Thanks for all the help bud! Probably will be hitting you up each time I feel like rage quitting haha

2001 BMW IR E46 M3 6MT + Buildjournal B-Spec Tune
Build Thread / Album
IG: connie.m3
Jump to top conniem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-09-2018, 12:16:35 AM   #23
conniem3

United States

Took me so long to realize how easy it was to remove this lever...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Build Thread / Album

Last edited by conniem3; Sun, Dec-09-2018 at 12:23:43 AM.
Old Tue, Dec-11-2018, 06:57:27 AM   #24
conniem3

United States

One out of 4 seats complete. This black one used to be on a manual base.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Build Thread / Album
Old Tue, Dec-11-2018, 02:32:25 PM   #25
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Seems like passenger side has tilt forward holes on both sides of the seat, whereas the driver seat only has it on the outside. I'd assume this means the passenger side has holes in the leather on both sides whereas the driver only has a hole on one side... which would make them unswappable?

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-11-2018, 03:38:58 PM   #26
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

I'm pretty sure when I looked it up the part numbers were the same for both the seat back leathers as well as the seat bottom leathers for both passenger and driver.
Jump to top dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote