BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Nov-10-2018, 03:02:36 AM   #11
m3e46_1970

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: DSC + Tire Pressure Lights

Still struggling with getting INPA, connector and the M3 to communicate with each other. I'm confident that the software was installed correctly. Getting IFH-0009 and many posts talked about the ODB pin 7 and 8. Will look at that next. But I wanted to keep this thread going until I am confident that the problem is solved.

Today I removed and cleaned the two rear speed sensors. They were a little dirty but I don't think either is bad. I cleaned and re-installed them. I also checked all the fuses--all the fuses in the glove compartment (including the six or seven labelled DSC and ABS) and the pack of fuses under the hood right on the other side of the of the driver side firewall. All fuses are good. I then removed the connector on the DSC unit (DSC3-ES) on the firewall on the passenger side. As far as I can tell, all the contact looked good--no corrosion. Haven't found anything that make me think "that is it".
Jump to top m3e46_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Nov-10-2018, 03:53:55 AM   #12
M3AZ
///M3AZ

In the garage:

United States

If your connector has a switch it should be set to K-Line, othwerwise it won’t connect.
Jump to top M3AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-16-2018, 08:27:17 PM   #13
m3e46_1970

In the garage:

United States

Smile Re: DSC + Tire Pressure Lights

My connector does not come with a switch. I did see those before ordering mine and though those must have been older style because the new ones are probably smart enough to switch internally. I took the connector apart, pin 7 & 8 was not shorted/bridged. So I installed a switch to bridge them (and to un-bridge them if needed). After that, everything worked as expected.

Connect with INPA and it show 3 errors with the DSC modules (yaw sensor, speed sensor and steering angle sensor, all the stuff that I have replaced). I should have done a screen capture before deleting them but I didn't (kicking myself). I did remember that the dates on them were older.

However, the good news is that after what I did in my last post, the lights and problem have not returned. It was a couple of days later before I was able to connect INPA. I have been driving the vehicle to/from work, ~32 miles each way, this entire week (OK, 5 days) and the problem had not re-appeared. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Fri, Nov-16-2018, 08:58:08 PM   #14
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

Im having an issue that is similar to yours.

My TPMS light is solid red. Ive tried to reset it, and it will come back a few miles down the road. On occasion my traction control light would flicker when slowly accelerating in 2nd, but the TSC light would never stay on.

Using INPA I get an error when trying to connect to DSC, but Im certain I have always had issues getting to that module, even before the red TPMS light. Im not sure if its my version of INPA or not.

What would cause the solid red TPMS light when all tires are inflated to the same PSI, Ive reset and re-taught the TPMS system?

NOT NARDO
Active Autowerke Stage 2.5-AA Headers-Supersprint-Meisterschaft-Vorsteiner-Brembo-AC Schnitzer-BBS-CSL
6MT swapped-RTD shifter-Amber Gang
Jump to top Turb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-17-2018, 12:07:14 PM   #15
m3e46_1970

In the garage:

United States

When my TPMS light come ON, it has always been amber in color. I will have to check to see if it can come ON any other color. That could be my only color.

I do have TMPS light ON in my Nissian 350Z. I am told the The TPM sensor is only good for about 7 years before the internal battery die. Just haven't gotten around to replacing them since I rarely drive the Z, maybe 3 times a year. I should sell that thing so I can save on insurance. ;-)
Old Sat, Nov-17-2018, 12:48:25 PM   #16
UFoh

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3e46_1970 View Post
Still struggling with getting INPA, connector and the M3 to communicate with each other. I'm confident that the software was installed correctly. Getting IFH-0009 and many posts talked about the ODB pin 7 and 8. Will look at that next. But I wanted to keep this thread going until I am confident that the problem is solved.

Today I removed and cleaned the two rear speed sensors. They were a little dirty but I don't think either is bad. I cleaned and re-installed them. I also checked all the fuses--all the fuses in the glove compartment (including the six or seven labelled DSC and ABS) and the pack of fuses under the hood right on the other side of the of the driver side firewall. All fuses are good. I then removed the connector on the DSC unit (DSC3-ES) on the firewall on the passenger side. As far as I can tell, all the contact looked good--no corrosion. Haven't found anything that make me think "that is it".

Is the latency timer on 1 with the USB device? Also in my experience INPA is looking for a specific COM port, so in my case I had to actually plug in the cable into COM 1 to make INPA happy. I think you can(maybe??) re-assign the port number.

shoot me a PM maybe i can help you out with teamviewer or something
Jump to top UFoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-17-2018, 02:00:35 PM   #17
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3e46_1970 View Post
When my TPMS light come ON, it has always been amber in color. I will have to check to see if it can come ON any other color. That could be my only color.
Mine came on red when I actually had a leak.
Old Mon, Nov-19-2018, 09:48:51 PM   #18
TosM3

United States

did you try dsc pressure sensor?
Jump to top TosM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-21-2018, 06:08:47 PM   #19
Andrew 06M3Cab

Canada

To OP - if you are having trouble using INPA, you can upgrade it to ISTA, which is much more user friendly, and in English. Just look for the thread on Bimmerforum that takes to you a Russian site where you can get the Rheingold standalone. It is the easiest and most recent version I know of. You can run a full diagnostic on the car, without going into each module separately, it explains the issue, and gives wiring diagrams etc.

PM me if you have any issues.

Also, no intention to hijack this thread but I have a similar issue, but limited to the DSC light (no brake light comes on). Driving along with no wheel slippage (even not accelerating, at cruising speeds) and DSC engages, the light flashes intermittently. Take my foot off the gas and it is okay again for a bit. Then it reoccurs. Only once did my dash light up like a Christmas tree.

Turning the traction control system off eliminates the problem. But - since it's about to start snowing, I don't want to drive around in the winter without traction control.

I have tried to diagnose with INPA and ISTA+. But there are no codes (even in shadow) that could possibly relate to the problem. My first thought is one of the wheel speed sensors is going bad. But which one? Or maybe it's an ABS reluctor ring? I don't want just to throw money at it with new parts... Any insight on where to start/diagnose would be very helpful.
Jump to top Andrew 06M3Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-21-2018, 06:33:47 PM   #20
neopolymath

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew 06M3Cab View Post
To OP - if you are having trouble using INPA, you can upgrade it to ISTA, which is much more user friendly, and in English. Just look for the thread on Bimmerforum that takes to you a Russian site where you can get the Rheingold standalone. It is the easiest and most recent version I know of. You can run a full diagnostic on the car, without going into each module separately, it explains the issue, and gives wiring diagrams etc.

PM me if you have any issues.

Also, no intention to hijack this thread but I have a similar issue, but limited to the DSC light (no brake light comes on). Driving along with no wheel slippage (even not accelerating, at cruising speeds) and DSC engages, the light flashes intermittently. Take my foot off the gas and it is okay again for a bit. Then it reoccurs. Only once did my dash light up like a Christmas tree.

Turning the traction control system off eliminates the problem. But - since it's about to start snowing, I don't want to drive around in the winter without traction control.

I have tried to diagnose with INPA and ISTA+. But there are no codes (even in shadow) that could possibly relate to the problem. My first thought is one of the wheel speed sensors is going bad. But which one? Or maybe it's an ABS reluctor ring? I don't want just to throw money at it with new parts... Any insight on where to start/diagnose would be very helpful.
The first thing I do in this situation is clean the wheel speed sensors. It costs nothing beyond the time to remove the wheels and some parts cleaner. On my M Roadster, I was also able to diagnose a similar issue via INPA by viewing the section showing wheel speed sensor data in real time. I had one fail intermittently, but noticed abnormalities on the monitor while my friend drove the car. This can be confirmed by swapping the sensors from side to side to see if it follows.
Jump to top neopolymath is offline   Reply With Quote