BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Aug-28-2018, 05:04:35 AM   #1
Race M3
I can put whatever I want here?

United States

Exclamation Need help, hard start when vehicle warm runs flawlessly after. DME faults

Good evening,

I’m hoping some of you may be of help. I have searched before posting this and it’s not you’re typical “wont start on first try” thread for the e46 M3.

Bit of a background;

02 6mt. Vehicle has 186,000 miles on it. I do all the work myself except the recent rod bearing job as I’d rather have a warranty on that job

Recent repairs are as follows...

-replaced vanos exhaust hub with D300 hub
-replaced all vanos seals
-replaced timing chain guides (upper)
-valve adjustment
-cleaned vanos solenoid and replaced filters into valve block
-just had rod bearings replaced (had a shop perform this repair)
-new ebox fan
-new engine temp sensor (coolant temp sender under manifold)
-new TPS’s
-new starter
-cleaned throttle bodies
-new plugs

After vanos job (Car sat for a month or two as I was busy) vehicle ran perfect no fault codes or anything. Pulled hard as hell too. Until one day (about 2 weeks after vanos/timing job) I drove it to work and when I went to go home for the day it wouldn’t start just click nothing. Battery had been disconnected and charged prior to driving the car again (was out of Car during repairs) anyways jump started it and off I went. Until it went into limp mode with traction control, abs and eml light on (no ses light) about a mile later. Battery was at 11v oh well new battery put in car. Fired right up reset adaptations drove around block and all was fine. Had edk codes for throttle position, ebox fan, exhaust temp sensor, can/dme dde engine torque not adjustable (code won’t go away) and shadow for crank position sensor. Cleared and drove fine for a week. All while having a random no start on first try. Then fires up fine second try.

Then kept getting random limp mode. Same faults keept returning and randomly and finally starter died on me. Upon replacing starter replaced throttle position sensors and lines actuator as well as replaced the coolant temp sensor under manifold as well as clean / lube throttle bodies and linkage while I was in there. Also replaced ebox fan. Cleared codes tps faults have not returned, nor has limp mode. Only faults that stuck are the ebox fan, exhaust temp, can/DME dde engine torque not adjustable (not active, but won’t clear) and now I’m still getting the random won’t start on first try. Still getting crank position sensor shadow fault codes. Checked it. Works fine.

Got my rod bearings done about 2 weeks later. (Irrelevant)

Put about 1200 miles on engine after rod bearings for break in. Only issue is the random no start or hard start first time and then runs flawlessly. Been too busy to diag anymore until tonight changed the oil after the 1200 wear in/easy driving on new rod bearings I smell gas in the oil. Pretty strong. Oil looked fine and wasn’t diluted and oil level was perfect before I drained it. Finished oil service and drove another 50 miles. No lights on drives fine just now the hard start is beginning to come more frequently when hot vs cold start (starts every time) so sh!t now I think I have a bad injector that’s leaking off pressure after shut off which would explain the hard initial start when warm and how it stumbles up to idle for a sec when It fires if it does start first time. Removed oil cap and still smell gas More than normal.

Scan Car still have same codes present as before but Not active and scan is as follows;

4F [079] (active) exhaust temperature sensor
8F [143] (active) ebox fan
69 [105] (not active) engine temp implausible
10 [016] (not active) crankshaft position sensor
B6 [182] (not active) over temperature fuel injector driver 1
94 [148] (not active) CAN DME/DDE engine torque not adjustable
BE [190] (active) data filing difference to LKM (never touched it, cluster, or DME no tamper dot and was a 5 mile difference showing between the two that was not present last scan???)

So here is my question? Am I just all over the place or is this just an unfortunate chain of events?

Engine is perfectly timed, passed vanos test flawlessly, Car pulls like hell and will roast tires 1st and 2nd all day. No misfire, or anything. Crank position sensor is good (tested it) oil temp sensor, both coolant temp sensors are good, thermostat and fan clutch good, etc. etc.

Just this dang hard start when hot. And now fuel smell in gas.

Also when I clear codes I get internal failure code for DME. Bit goes away after I cycle the key...

Am I looking at a failed DME/possible intermittent injector driver failure when it gets hot? (Ebox fan will run when cranking but never come one again which I find really odd?) or do I just have a leaking/failing injector here? I’d assume next step is fuel pressure when off/idle/throttle. I know it’s not internals I checked compression/leakdown when I did the overhaul/bearings. No smoke, no oil consumption. Runs like a new engine except this stupid starting condition.

Any input would be appreciated. Harness and grounds are good too from what I can see....

Last edited by Race M3; Tue, Aug-28-2018 at 05:16:54 AM.
Jump to top Race M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Aug-28-2018, 07:24:05 PM   #2
white_335i

United States

Default Re: Need help, hard start when vehicle warm runs flawlessly after.

Can you get your fuel injectors checked to make sure they are not leaking?

I had similar symptoms on my 330i, no codes though and ended up being 2 leaky fuel injectors
Old Tue, Aug-28-2018, 08:57:58 PM   #3
Race M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_335i View Post
Can you get your fuel injectors checked to make sure they are not leaking?

I had similar symptoms on my 330i, no codes though and ended up being 2 leaky fuel injectors
still have yet to check injectors but will pull the rail and put put fuel pressure to them and see what happens. sorry if post was all over the place wrote the whole thing on my phone last night haha.

what worries me is the injector driver overtemp, driver is in the dme. only thing i could think is the ebox fan is not working causing dme to overheat. or injector is sticking/causing too much load on driver. but if that was the case of a stuck open injector id have driveablility issues. it seems to only effect it on startup. going to check the harness and maybe the resistance on injectors this week and see what i find this time.

also on a side note what is everyone's thoughts on the bosch replacement injectors for $50 or so ea on fcp/ecs tuning vs the bmw labeled ones for $250 or so ea. same thing just the logo ground off id imagine? just such a large gap in price that it makes me second guess if its the same thing.
Old Tue, Aug-28-2018, 10:43:36 PM   #4
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Need help, hard start when vehicle warm runs flawlessly after. DME faults

Get them from fcp, if they crap out, free replacement under lifetime warranty.

I'll read your first post later tonight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-29-2018, 02:48:47 AM   #5
Race M3

United States

Default Re: Need help, hard start when vehicle warm runs flawlessly after. DME faults

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Get them from fcp, if they crap out, free replacement under lifetime warranty.

I'll read your first post later tonight.

Awesome, I figure replacing them won’t hurt anyways at this mileage. Just thought the difference between Bosch and Bmw labeled Bosch injectors was astronomical compared to other oe vs oem parts which had me concerned if it was the same part or not lol.
Old Wed, Aug-29-2018, 08:54:20 PM   #6
Race M3

United States

Bump
Old Thu, Aug-30-2018, 05:45:17 AM   #7
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Do you have a way of logging information?

Like obdfusion app with a bluetooth adapter for obd port?

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-30-2018, 05:57:23 AM   #8
L0ADED

United States

I read most of your original post. Is the main issue difficulty restarting the car when the engine is at or near operating temperature? I have seen one instance where this was caused by a failing crank position sensor on a high mileage car.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-30-2018, 07:31:26 PM   #9
Race M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ADED View Post
I read most of your original post. Is the main issue difficulty restarting the car when the engine is at or near operating temperature? I have seen one instance where this was caused by a failing crank position sensor on a high mileage car.
Indeed, but why does my oil smell like gas?

Crank position sensor wouldn’t give me an injector driver fault code which is what’s throwing me off. Been sick this week so haven’t had a chance to probe around much.

Need to get my friends laptop with ista, just using pasoft at the moment...
Old Thu, Aug-30-2018, 07:38:45 PM   #10
L0ADED

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race M3 View Post
Indeed, but why does my oil smell like gas?

Crank position sensor wouldn’t give me an injector driver fault code which is what’s throwing me off. Been sick this week so haven’t had a chance to probe around much.

Need to get my friends laptop with ista, just using pasoft at the moment...
Yeah, good idea to get all the codes to pin point the issue. Did the same for a door lock actuator issue, and ISTA pointed to the relays in the GM5.

The fuel smell in the oil could be the cylinder wall getting washed with fuel during the cranking attempts. Or one injector is stuck open (leaking) when the car is shut off after driving.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote