BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Feb-13-2017, 04:42:40 AM   #31
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Default Re: SMG Relocation to Engine Bay Side Comparment

Quote:
Any pics of his project?
I'll see if I can get him to post some on the forum. From what I gathered it may only suit RHD cars.
Could be even more effective if a hole in the cabin air intake was cut to give a replenishing cool air supply into the cavity. It is in a state of positive pressure at speed due to the airflow against the windscreen.

Quote:
If you had long enough lines, you could even put it in the trunk, where it would stay really cool! It would be a lot more work to route it, but it would probably work out well, if you routed it like the battery.
You're not wrong however, I wonder if making the lines excessively long would influence shift times.

I've seen some track cars with it on the transmission tunnel. That would be most ideal I'd imagine.
Jump to top AussieE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Feb-13-2017, 05:03:04 AM   #32
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieE46M3 View Post
You're not wrong however, I wonder if making the lines excessively long would influence shift times.

I've seen some track cars with it on the transmission tunnel. That would be most ideal I'd imagine.
Yea I honestly wonder this myself, or if they change much in the bin location.

on the transmission tunnel, interesting. I'd love to see a picture of this. Seems like it would be harder to work on.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-13-2017, 05:42:03 AM   #33
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

The 'bin' would act as a shield between the heat radiating off the engine block. With no local heat supply it makes sense for it to be quite a lot cooler. With an exterior air supply it should do even better again.

I saw it some time ago during a random google search spree. From memory it was it was passenger side footwell on a RHD track car. If I ever see it again I'll share it.

I did just find this though which is similair. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...p?p=1067222409
Jump to top AussieE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-13-2017, 05:59:05 AM   #34
Headlock

Australia

Quote:
Headlock,

A guy in Brisbane has relocated his SMG pump to the cavity on the LHS of the car. Supposedly there's space in there.

Didn't have to extend any electronics, just got HEL braided lines to extend it.

It's the cold side of the engine so it should experience even less heat than OP's.

When my SMG pump warranty runs out I intend to have a go at it myself.
I think on the 03+ models there's a little more space in that area. I know on my 02, there is no way you could get an SMG pump in either side.

I saw a photo of a guy with a track car who had relocated it to the where the passenger seat used to be. I'm thinking down the line i might relocate it somewhere behind the front seats in conjunction with a rear seat delete. Route the hydraulic lines straight through the trans tunnel or something? So far i've never had a serious issue with it so *touch wood* that's a project for another day far away.

edit. i see you found that same photo above lol
Jump to top Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-13-2017, 06:28:17 AM   #35
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Once i get my kit sorted out with vince i am planning to do the gold heat reflective foil in and outside the bin. Just a little extra work but better for the heat.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-13-2017, 05:45:43 PM   #36
m3vos

United States

Quote:
The 'bin' would act as a shield between the heat radiating off the engine block. With no local heat supply it makes sense for it to be quite a lot cooler. With an exterior air supply it should do even better again.

I saw it some time ago during a random google search spree. From memory it was it was passenger side footwell on a RHD track car. If I ever see it again I'll share it.

I did just find this though which is similair. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...p?p=1067222409
Here are two pics from that BMWMazing fellow, he used a IR cam to catch the temps on the engine and in the bin at the same time, seems like a pretty significant difference! I think it would be easy enough to route a fresh air supply line to the bin too...

Jump to top m3vos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-13-2017, 08:05:50 PM   #37
rovert604

Canada

How much airflow does the existing position get when in motion? I just got home and opened the hood and stuck my hand down there and it didn't seem too bad at all.

I was traveling at highway/burbs speed with temps hovering the freezing mark though.
Old Mon, Feb-13-2017, 08:52:10 PM   #38
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Not sure about airflow there but many guys store a spare quart of oil there. I wish I could find where it was, but I remember seeing someone cut a hole into the bin, with ducting running from the front bumper and feeding into the bin, along with the air venting out the fender grill once it passed over the smg pump. Seemed like a cool idea. I am sure wrapping the pump and lining the outer walls in gold foil would help deflect some of that radiant heat as well.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Mon, Sep-10-2018 at 10:03:29 PM.
Old Mon, Feb-13-2017, 09:35:36 PM   #39
VinceSE2
FKA VinceSE

In the garage:

Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Not sure about airflow there but many guys store a spare quite of oil there. I wish I could find where it was, but I remember seeing someone cut a hole into the bin, with ducting running from the front bumper and feeding into the bin, along with the air venting out the fender grill once it passed over the smg pump. Seemed like a cool idea. I am sure wrapping the pump and lining the outer walls in gold foil would help deflect some of that radiant heat as well.

Is this what your referring to?
It'll go out the side gill, just not done in the post.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...p?p=1067393868

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top VinceSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-13-2017, 11:06:49 PM   #40
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceSE2 View Post
Is this what your referring to?
It'll go out the side gill, just not done in the post.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...p?p=1067393868

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I definitely missed that thread! Thanks for sharing!! This is much more comprehensive than the one I saw. Looking forward to this all coming together! It is possible I confused your plan of adding airflow ventilation with Marco Bleiker's relocation (BMWMazing in the youtube video), seeing as I am having difficulty relocating the source.

Here are some other additional links from Marco Bleiker's relocation that he directed me to when I asked him about it in the past:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=813
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=869

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Mon, Feb-13-2017 at 11:19:42 PM.