BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Dec-01-2015, 11:33:52 PM   #11
hemi8
M Power

United States

Default Re: Warped Valve Cover?

Sorry, thinking of my 330i.

Mike
2004 SMG M3, carbon black metallic w/cinnamon interior, OEM Euro Headers, Frank Smith engine & CSL SMG tuned, 300rwhp. Original SMG pump died @ 198k. Original clutch died @ 190k. Original rear diff. died @ 200k, driveshaft and axles shot @202k
Jump to top hemi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Dec-02-2015, 12:50:42 AM   #12
mleveroni

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi8 View Post
Not far fetched at all, plastic valve covers do warp, especially as the miles add up. If I R&R'd the valve cover gasket myself or someone I trust that knows how to do it, 3 times with the factory gasket and it leaks after every install.....its warped.

Mike
You are thinking about the plastic dress up piece over the valve cover.

I am not a mechanic but the only natural way that a piece of metal to be bent that far out is that your engine has exploded and F'd up the valve cover. Since the car still functions I would call BS and ask them to show you. I would look for marks in the valve cover where they possibly tried prying it up and bent it. 1/8" is a considerable amount.

2002 M3 Carbon Black 6MT
ARP Headstuds|ARP Rod Bolts|Beisan Vanos|Topspeed Exhaust|AR20's|Ebay Headers|Turner Subframe Plates|ZCP Rims|Custom Rear Strut Bar|AKG Bushings|ST XTA Coilovers|Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch/Aluminum Flywheel|RK Tune
Jump to top mleveroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-02-2015, 04:26:06 PM   #13
Lysis

In the garage:

South Africa

If I'm not mistaken the OEM valve cover gasket is Victor Reinz, so I doubt it would be the quality of the gasket at fault here.
Jump to top Lysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-02-2015, 05:12:11 PM   #14
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

thats a load of bull, that thing doesn't warp, its a botched install thats all
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-03-2015, 03:00:29 PM   #15
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi8 View Post
Not far fetched at all, plastic valve covers do warp, especially as the miles add up. If I R&R'd the valve cover gasket myself or someone I trust that knows how to do it, 3 times with the factory gasket and it leaks after every install.....its warped.

Mike

plastic valve covers leak? please tell us more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu, Dec-03-2015, 03:08:38 PM   #16
zerotosixty
Search Nazi

In the garage:

United States

Plastic valve cover AND minimum fasteners? We should ALL have a oil leaking problem then...

ZeroToSixty's car journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why m3 View Post
Not everybody Is into tracking because you guys other to each of their own
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyM3 View Post
Again, just like several of you have proved and myself: it's going to be nothing but a $hitshow until our science is to the height to which we can prove something's there and the time it gets there.

Until then, we must prevent these mistaken pregnancies in the first place
Jump to top zerotosixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-04-2015, 12:02:33 AM   #17
Lola's Dad

I have the same story going on. Leaking after valve job, first gasket installed wrong and indy replaced no charge. Second one now leaking and they are telling me there is a warp in the valve cover. I don't see how its possible, and I plan on just having them replace the gasket again.

Any tips I should give them - things to look for? The comment about the little pegs on the gasket is helpful. Not many M3s where I live, so the shop is not familiar with them, although they are better than the other BMW shop in town that said the valves weren't adjustable. But I digress. Any tips?
Jump to top Lola's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-04-2015, 12:58:36 AM   #18
Lola's Dad

My shop said they measured a warp on the exhaust side of 25 thousandths, and they think that is enough to cause the leak. The problem is that it didn't leak before the valve adjustment.

Does anyone know if that measurement is significant?

They also said they tested the vacuum/pressure in the engine with it running and it measured 0.

I'm going to swing by in the morning and have them show me how they measured the warp.
Jump to top Lola's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-05-2015, 08:06:45 PM   #19
PSUEng

United States

Ok so last weekend I pulled off the plastic cover and got back there to take a look. Sure enough leaking at the passenger side corner. From what I can see, I don't see any warping in the cover--the edge is visibly parallel to the head. I also see "Victor Reinz" on the half moon portion of the gasket.

So, I ordered a full OE gasket set from Tischer....still waiting. I will pull off the cover, stick a straight edge on it and check it. If OK, I'll re-assemble--correctly--withe OE gasket. In the meantime...

I call the shop.

"hey remember when you said the cover was warped, you can see it lifted up 1/8"? Well, I took the top cover off and did a visual inspection on the rear and don't see it---can you explain how you saw that?

He couldn't remember--but said you really need to take the cover off, put a straight edge on it and check it to be sure. So I'm thinking, no way you guys did that level of disassembly on it, put it back together, to tell me it's warped. I told them I have had no leaking VCG problem until YOU did the valve adjustment job. Pretty much got told oh well.

I think something's going on. I'll report back once I tear into it....
Jump to top PSUEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-06-2015, 11:18:48 PM   #20
cold m3
___///M3___

United States

hope you figure this all out soon. If the VC is actually warped I would grab a cheap one on ebay ($80)

Photos of My ///M3
Jump to top cold m3 is offline   Reply With Quote