BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Mar-15-2017, 08:14:32 PM   #41
mrgicm

Croatia

Default Re: S54 Forged engine rebuild advice?

So we have cranked the engine today for the first time and it started up immeadetley! It is running very smooth.

For the first start we have connected the stock airbox with maf so does anyone have any input if the car will run on a CSL airbox for a couple of miles and with csl conversion (without flap) just with Temp sensor and map sensor?

Asking because I need to drive at least 30-50 miles before tuning and alpha N.

Car now has OEM software.
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 01:58:41 PM   #42
Prevailm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m13s View Post
Nice build. Question: after reading through the thread why no love for VAC products ?
(I am new to the forum)

I've heard nothing but terrible reviews. Customer service is awful, lots of bad parts. Not to mention the countless amounts of engines that have blown up with under 10k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Prevailm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 04:28:42 PM   #43
Flow

In the garage:

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
So we have cranked the engine today for the first time and it started up immeadetley! It is running very smooth.

For the first start we have connected the stock airbox with maf so does anyone have any input if the car will run on a CSL airbox for a couple of miles and with csl conversion (without flap) just with Temp sensor and map sensor?

Asking because I need to drive at least 30-50 miles before tuning and alpha N.

Car now has OEM software.
It should run but poorly.
Not sure I would want to drive that far on a brand new engine as air / fuel mixture will be way off. Not something you want for break-in.
Why don't you do a CSL clone ? Add a MAP sensor and some wiring and you could run the OE CSL management.
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 07:19:30 PM   #44
mrgicm

Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
It should run but poorly.
Not sure I would want to drive that far on a brand new engine as air / fuel mixture will be way off. Not something you want for break-in.
Why don't you do a CSL clone ? Add a MAP sensor and some wiring and you could run the OE CSL management.
I have the temperature sensor and connector and pins and I will run an alpha N tune. I just need to do some 50miles before doing the tune just for the engine to sit and take out the mineral oil.

So Its better to leave the stock intake with maf for this 50miles and than install the airbox / air temp sensor and do the wireing?

Also I have to keep it under 3000 rpm on a stock map.
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 11:37:09 PM   #45
digger

United States

its always best to run in the engine on a known good safe tune, you can swap load strategies later once its run in a bit
Old Sun, Apr-02-2017, 09:53:01 AM   #46
mrgicm

Croatia

So I have driven the car for about 300 miles and all I can its awasome, love the way it runs and the way it pulls for now on about 30-40% throttle untill 4-5k rpm as I was told by Schmickler Perofmance to break in the engine like that.

Now a few days to break it in and change the oil and off to Schmickler Performance to get a tune and CSL Airbox installed.
Old Sat, Apr-08-2017, 04:31:07 AM   #47
Jovica

Canada

Your build is inspirational. Can you please post some more photos, videos and a dyno graph?
Jump to top Jovica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-08-2017, 07:14:32 AM   #48
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

Awesome build OP! Btw, I was in Croatia in 2014 in Split. It's beautiful down there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
@jet.m3
Jump to top M3_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-08-2017, 11:30:43 PM   #49
mrgicm

Croatia

Thank you very much guys

So I have done around 400 miles and changed the oil to Castrol TWS and today we have installed the Karbonius air box and wired the IAT sensor using the MAF wires. The car runs awsome and cant wait to have it maped next week.

The car had the K&N intake and I am very suprised how the cars throttle response has IMPROVED while installing the CSL Airbox and still without a tune, much much better than that crappy intake and still on a OEM tune.

Here is a picture with the Karbonius Airbox... The attention to detail is awsome and I cant stop looking at it

Than its time to fit the M4 brakes... Fitment is bolt on with this super high quality adapters a local company made for me.
After doing the break in of the brakes I can say I love how it performs and the initial bite has greatly improved. Will see how it performs on track.

Here is a picture of the custom Alcantara rear seat delete (which is not 100% yet still have some minor adjusments).

Love this Alcantara/carbon interior and how the Alcantara dash makes the cockpit better looking.

Time some new rubber Michelin PSC2 in 265/35/18

So tommorw the car is being loaded on a truck and sent to Schmickler performance for custom mapping on a dyno and then I will pick it up and spend 5 days on the Nurburgring just driving it cant wait
Old Sun, Apr-09-2017, 12:55:50 AM   #50
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Car looks good. What color is it? Steel gray?

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is online now   Reply With Quote