BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, May-23-2014, 07:48:34 PM   #21
moshjack

United States

Default Re: Noise for few seconds at first startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaTree View Post
Just following up on an earlier question. Everyone knows there are lots of moving parts in the cylinder head of S54 engines, all of which need oil to them. To some extent, after sitting idle for any period of time, the oil will drain away from the head and its parts, likely resulting in a clattering sound when the engine is restarted. My engine has about 76K miles, all of the VANOS related stuff just replaced, valve clearances within spec, and all of the other usual suspects ( as far as I know ) are in top working order. Even so, on cold startup, I'll hear that short burst of clattering that sounds like it's coming from the cylinder head, and it goes away completely after 2 - 3 seconds. My question continues to involve that CPV on the side of the block, and I'm trying to learn the exact function of that valve. I've found two different names for the valve, which in itself is a bit curious: seems to be known as both a constant pressure valve and a pressure relief valve. My real question is this: does anyone really know the function of that valve?
Thanks for reading a long post for a short question, and any help is appreciated!
Steve
Steve, I can tell you that the CPV is nothing more than a spring operated check valve and an oring. Mine was leaking externally, I replaced the valve with a brand new one and use the upgraded Viton Oring. From what I read it maintains a certain amount of oil in the head at idle or high RPM, depending on current oil pressure. After see this simple valve in my hand I don't see how it could really fail internally. Only the o-ring that leaks outside the block...

No change, same noise on startup after replacing mine.
Jump to top moshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, May-23-2014, 11:14:54 PM   #22
BubbaTree
BubbaTree

United States

Thanks for an honest appraisal of the situation, moshjack. As long as the valve in my car doesn't leak, I'm leaving it alone!
Steve
Jump to top BubbaTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-26-2014, 02:45:05 AM   #23
moshjack

United States

I realize now that I do hear a slight noise after the engine is started that lasts until I apply the throttle.

Now I don't remember if the upper timing chain guide looked ok....

My question: To replace the upper guide, do I have to fully remove the VANOS and time the engine AGAIN, or is there enough room with the vanos slid back on the mounting bolts?
Does the Exhaust hub and gear have to be fully removed like Beisan's site states in order to get the guide out? If so I would obviously have to remove the VANOS and re-time everything. His writeup shows the replacement being down while the VANOS is already out and other work is being done.

If I have to pull everything apart just to inspect it, I will simply replace it no matter what I see at this point.
Old Mon, May-26-2014, 04:34:11 AM   #24
Hacksaw
What broke now?

In the garage:

United States

Unfortunately you will have to pull the vanos.

Keep in mind that the upper guide will appear to be just fine if you examine it from the top.
It is not until you have the vanos ,exhaust cam sprocket and the timing chain tensioner removed that you might see signs of the guide being broken.

On our cars it has nothing to do with the wear surface on the chain side as one would think compared to other vehicles. It has everything to do with the bottom of the guide wearing on the 20% cf nylon and the abrasion/harmonics that tend to gnaw the thing down to a nub. We are starting to see anything from failures prior to 50k on up. It's a variable that has not quite been nailed down as far as when you can count on a replacement.

Just know there is a good replacement option in the works to relieve a lot of this drama for us all.

Good luck on getting that last annoyance gone.
Imola Red|Blk Cloth|6MT|FS CSL Custom TUNE -MSS54HP|CSL Replica Airbox|Euro Headers|BimmerWorld 3.5" race front Y and resonator|Hacksaw's custom 3.5" SS exhaust system w/Magnaflow and 4 tipped goodness|SGT RS-ENR Coilover Kit|Evo Sport Performance Pulley Set|CDV Delete|UUC USS & DSSR|Sparco Roadster Seats|StopTech ST-40 BBKs on all 4|Beisan Systems vanos rebuild w/original stock exhaust hub|Kirk 4 point roll bar|CF CSL Rep Trunk|GC Race F/R Sway Bars|TR Motorsports MT-1|Avin Avant 2|Seibon CF GTR Hood

Last edited by Hacksaw; Mon, May-26-2014 at 04:37:23 AM.
Jump to top Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-30-2014, 03:43:07 PM   #25
moshjack

United States

Default Re: SOLVED: Noise for few seconds at first startup

***Solution Found= Broken timing chain guide, was snapped in two pieces. The chain tensioner was basically doing almost nothing with this piece broken. This explains the oil-pressure dependent noise like a loose timing chain/tensioner.
The broken piece was sitting on top of the guide, only a very small section was "missing"- into the oil pan. ***
Old Sun, Jul-29-2018, 09:48:27 AM   #26
zaharias

Greece

Question Re: Noise for few seconds at first startup

Bump!!

Here is mine

This is a video of my 3/2005 M3 E46 Coupe 6MT with ~144.000kms.
I had a Beisan vanos refresh with everything except the oil pump disc @137.000kms.
Timing chain guide also changed as Beisan suggests and also recently replaced timing chain tensioner.

It's the sound that you hear at 0:11 and only on cold start!

Any thoughts what could it be?
Jump to top zaharias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-30-2018, 05:54:37 AM   #27
whips333

In the garage:

United States

Sub'd
Jump to top whips333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-18-2018, 07:11:50 AM   #28
zaharias

Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
Bump!!

BMW E46 M3 start up sound/noise - YouTube

Here is mine

This is a video of my 3/2005 M3 E46 Coupe 6MT with ~144.000kms.
I had a Beisan vanos refresh with everything except the oil pump disc @137.000kms.
Timing chain guide also changed as Beisan suggests and also recently replaced timing chain tensioner.

It's the sound that you hear at 0:11 and only on cold start!

Any thoughts what could it be?

???????????????
Jump to top zaharias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-18-2018, 08:40:17 AM   #29
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
???????????????
Definitely sounds like a chain rattle

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
368.4 whp 289.1 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-18-2018, 12:57:46 PM   #30
Cmamainer

In the garage:

United States

Exactly the same noise I get on cold startup, I've refreshed the vanos w/Beisan parts including the chain guide and the noise is still there, I've ordered an accumulator which should be in on Tues. and will post the results.(BTW upon inspecting the vanos before the Beisan upgrades their was nothing loose or broken including the upper chain guide, it was in excellent condition.)

Last edited by Cmamainer; Sat, Aug-18-2018 at 01:09:31 PM.
Jump to top Cmamainer is offline   Reply With Quote