BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Sep-14-2017, 12:51:29 AM   #1
TheMidnightNarw

Canada

Default Question about VANOS issue

Hey

I read this thread and I just wanted to make sure that if you ever get VANOS issue with the car, it's my understanding it'l only require a expensive but not disastrous fix? Like, it won't destroy or wreck the engine like the rod/main bearing issue on the E92 M3s?
Jump to top TheMidnightNarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Sep-14-2017, 12:58:30 AM   #2
Tp///M3
Got ///M?

Laos

Default Re: Question about VANOS issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarw View Post
Hey

I read this thread and I just wanted to make sure that if you ever get VANOS issue with the car, it's my understanding it'l only require a expensive but not disastrous fix? Like, it won't destroy or wreck the engine like the rod/main bearing issue on the E92 M3s?
Well, if any part of the broken hub tabs gets down and wedges on the timing chain, you will have catastrophic engine failure. This is the reason why most of us performed VANOS lock-down using Beisan kits.

04 CarbonBlack/ImolaRed
Jump to top Tp///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-14-2017, 01:54:48 AM   #3
TheMidnightNarw

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tp///M3 View Post
Well, if any part of the broken hub tabs gets down and wedges on the timing chain, you will have catastrophic engine failure. This is the reason why most of us performed VANOS lock-down using Beisan kits.
Shoot. Man, wanting to own an M3 isn't easy huh. It's always been my dream. The E46 being 15K cheaper than the E92s, hopefully it's the right choice.

Is the job easily DIYable? If you compare it to rod bearings for example.
Old Thu, Sep-14-2017, 02:28:22 AM   #4
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Shoot. Man, wanting to own an M3 isn't easy huh. It's always been my dream. The E46 being 15K cheaper than the E92s, hopefully it's the right choice.

Is the job easily DIYable? If you compare it to rod bearings for example.
It is with patience and tools.. stuff like this is why e46's work *great* as a second car
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-14-2017, 02:30:46 AM   #5
TheMidnightNarw

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
It is with patience and tools.. stuff like this is why e46's work *great* as a second car
Yeah I know the reliability isn't optimal compared to E92.

But I don't need a DD car in the sense use it to go to work. Only to drive for fun and do the rest.
Old Thu, Sep-14-2017, 02:44:29 AM   #6
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Yeah I know the reliability isn't optimal compared to E92.

But I don't need a DD car in the sense use it to go to work. Only to drive for fun and do the rest.
Well there you go - if you have the opportunity to just make sure you have the tools listed in the Beisan procedures, crack the engine open, take your time, and have the car down for a weekend or two, I say go for it.
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-14-2017, 02:48:39 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarw

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Well there you go - if you have the opportunity to just make sure you have the tools listed in the Beisan procedures, crack the engine open, take your time, and have the car down for a weekend or two, I say go for it.
Yeah that's the thing I'm a bit worried about internal engine work to F up something but I'm sure following the DIY it should be fine.

The only other thigh I want to figure out before is the damn subframe/RCAP issue. There doesn't seem to be a clear solution as of yet? At first I thought those reinforcement plates did the trick but apparently not in another post that seems very thorough? I don't want to discredit the person since I'm new on these forums but is true?
Old Sat, Sep-16-2017, 12:34:28 AM   #8
qualicas

In the garage:

Canada

Where are you located? I have a 2002 M3 for sale. Vanos has been done last year. Bearings are good as well. No sunroof either. Now as to subframe mounts. There are many ways to repair. If your car isn't rusty and you do not have cracks in the mounts you have a number of options. If it is already cracked, then you pretty much have to weld up the cracks so then you might as well weld on plates as well. When I did mine on my other M3, I used epoxy and stainless rivets and made my own plates. I also extended the mounts right through into the trunk and back seat area. I then made special brackets and riveted them on as well. I usually go for over kill then I drive like an old man because......well, I am!
There are many threads on this subject. Many ways people have repaired, fixed and generally redesigned the whole area. Pick one you are comfortable with and do that one. Good luck.
Jump to top qualicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-16-2017, 02:19:34 AM   #9
TheMidnightNarw

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualicas View Post
Where are you located? I have a 2002 M3 for sale. Vanos has been done last year. Bearings are good as well. No sunroof either. Now as to subframe mounts. There are many ways to repair. If your car isn't rusty and you do not have cracks in the mounts you have a number of options. If it is already cracked, then you pretty much have to weld up the cracks so then you might as well weld on plates as well. When I did mine on my other M3, I used epoxy and stainless rivets and made my own plates. I also extended the mounts right through into the trunk and back seat area. I then made special brackets and riveted them on as well. I usually go for over kill then I drive like an old man because......well, I am!
There are many threads on this subject. Many ways people have repaired, fixed and generally redesigned the whole area. Pick one you are comfortable with and do that one. Good luck.
I'm in Gatineau/Ottawa, I see you're in Calgary, that pretty far haha.

Yeah well, I guess I'll go with VinceBar thing since he sells kits and all that. I'm currently catting with him by email to get more information on the process.

And there isn't any issues with the rod bearings right, because when there was that service announcement, the new rod bearings put in place we fine huh?
Old Mon, Sep-18-2017, 04:05:23 PM   #10
qualicas

In the garage:

Canada

Re: rod bearings, treat them as a wear item. Take an oil sample at oil change and have it analyzed. If test results are good you are fine. If not you will need to change them. If you wait and spin a bearing then it means a complete rebuild, which I di or buying a used engine which most people do.
Jump to top qualicas is offline   Reply With Quote