BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Sep-12-2017, 09:19:48 PM   #1
vwrado

In the garage:

United States

Default Vanos splined shaft installation

When installing the vanos splined shaft into the hub, on Beisan it said "Rotate hub counter clockwise while pressing vanos onto hub.
Splined shaft will insert into hub at first alignment of splines."

I notice that when I insert the splined shaft before installing it on the vanos is that there is only 1 tooth that allow the splined shaft to travel all the way in the hub while the rest wouldn't allow it to be pushed all the way in. Does that mean that is the only tooth it should be installed in? Or it wouldn't really matter?
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Sep-12-2017, 09:39:00 PM   #2
mdavidm3

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Vanos splined shaft installation

Doesn't really matter but there is also a "sweet tooth"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKG||SGT Headers||Tilton Twin Disk Clutch||RTD||Mishimoto||Bimmerworld Race Exhaust||Kirk Rollbar||Schroth||Sparco||Momo||Ground Control||Eibach||JRZ RSpro (rear coilover)||PFC Z31 BBK||Enkei NT03||Maxxis RC-1

Trackspec Autosports
MMI Vehicle Systems
Ravenol
IG: MD__M3
Jump to top mdavidm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-12-2017, 10:13:12 PM   #3
vwrado

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavidm3 View Post
Doesn't really matter but there is also a "sweet tooth"

The sweet tooth, that would be the one where the splined shaft can be pushed all the way in?

Are there any advantage of installing it in the sweet tooth?

I can't seem to get the timing right for the life of me. Using the cam timing tool and locking the crank, it seems the only other place I can mess up on is the vanos or am I missing something here?

Last edited by vwrado; Tue, Sep-12-2017 at 10:21:27 PM.
Jump to top vwrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-12-2017, 10:49:27 PM   #4
Tp///M3
Got ///M?

Laos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwrado View Post
The sweet tooth, that would be the one where the splined shaft can be pushed all the way in?

Are there any advantage of installing it in the sweet tooth?

I can't seem to get the timing right for the life of me. Using the cam timing tool and locking the crank, it seems the only other place I can mess up on is the vanos or am I missing something here?
Check out this thread but do not mix with Beisan procedure. Use one or the other.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...t=vanos+timing

04 CarbonBlack/ImolaRed
Jump to top Tp///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-12-2017, 11:34:37 PM   #5
kokgo20

In the garage:

United States

Reach out to Dave, he is a master in this and probably can help you out.
You should be able to time the cams before installing the splined shaft, the sweet tooth is the one that you can get the shaft to sit all the way in as you mentioned, retime again, torque the gear bolts, retime again, ETC.

Build thread
05/2004 SMG PY/BLK - 600 TCKline - CPI Headers & resonated Sec1- Stoptech BBK 6 pod front & 4 pod rear with steel lines - 75mm Studs conversion - PF RTABs & FCABs - AKG subframe bushings - Multi color AEs - FR-X 3.0 Projectors - Smoked Side markers - Euro bumper - V1 with hard wire & Stealth one - M Track Mod - ZCP steering rack - BMW MS 4.10 - Dual LI - CSL Style diffuser - SCZA Exhaust - E9x Door handle LED retrofit - SCZA CSL bootlid - VEI systems custom A/F & boost gauge - Active Prima plus + FS tune - Mishimoto Radiator & Oil cooler - H&R front Sway - UUC camber arms - keyless & push to start system - clear bra - interiors red stitching contrast -
Jump to top kokgo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-12-2017, 11:35:10 PM   #6
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Take a look at the S54 Vanos Thread in my SIG.

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri - Sprint Booster V2
UltraGauge - Orion V4's - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - VIS XTS CF Hood - CSL Trunk - Valentine One - Turner 15F/12R Spacers
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 12:45:36 AM   #7
02_LSB

United States

There is no trick to it. Insert into the first available spline. No such thing as sweet tooth. Follow raj's procedure and you'll be ok

I ran into the same issue while doing this job, but, in the end I followed raj's procedure without issues.

Scroll to post Number 9:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=532100

Last edited by 02_LSB; Wed, Sep-13-2017 at 03:31:42 AM.
Jump to top 02_LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 02:10:39 AM   #8
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

I use this one. Don't tell Raj.

The cam you're inserting splined shaft has to be in time (bridge tool in place). Once you get it in just push in far enough to where teeth are barely showing than torque and move to the next cam. If you push it any farther or less it will not pass vans test. Raj's method solves the exact amount of insertion by position of pistons on the back side but make torquing more complicated. No one that I know that follow's his procedure exactly have had any issues but I think the video is simpler and I have used it 4-5 times on my cars with no issue.

#67 2014, 2015, 2016 NASA TX TT3 Runner-up,

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, 288/280 Cat Cams, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 02:18:45 AM   #9
02_LSB

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I use this one. Don't tell Raj.

The cam you're inserting splined shaft has to be in time (bridge tool in place). Once you get it in just push in far enough to where teeth are barely showing than torque and move to the next cam. If you push it any farther or less it will not pass vans test. Raj's method solves the exact amount of insertion by position of pistons on the back side but make torquing more complicated. No one that I know that follow's his procedure exactly have had any issues but I think the video is simpler and I have used it 4-5 times on my cars with no issue.

BMW S54 VANOS DIY - E46 M3, Z4 - YouTube

I'm just curious - What is the purpose of making cam marks on a variable valve timing engine?

I was under the impression that
timing is set down a few mm, so the even with marks, you're not putting splines back into the initial position.

Last edited by 02_LSB; Wed, Sep-13-2017 at 03:17:05 AM.
Jump to top 02_LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 02:29:28 AM   #10
legacyej25

United States

[/QUOTE]

I used this one along with the video ThunderMoose posted and it worked well.