BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Wed, May-17-2017, 09:38:45 PM   #11
MrCooperS

United States

Default Re: MrCooperS' 2005 Internalogs BMW E46 M3 ZCP - Blue Shell

ENGINE MOD - PAINTED VALVE COVER & EVENTURI INTAKE W/ MACHT SNELL ELBOW

Purchased a painted valve cover from Fazalcon - a user on this forum. The valve cover (along with some other parts) were shipped pretty quickly. The valve cover is painted Interlagos Blue to match the rest of the car. It's actually very well done and looks really great in person.

The install was super simple. 6 nuts and the whole valve cover comes right off. I do suggest remove the strut bar and the cabin filter housing to make things MUCH easier. But I think the engine bay has some good bling to it for not too much money.

As for the Eventuri Intake. I was really considering the CSL intake but, I can't justify the expenses since it also requires the Alpha N Tune. The Eventuri is quite nice since it's all plug and play. It also includes a bumper scoop to funnel additional air into the engine. But, I purchased this intake simply for the induction noise.

First things first, the intake is a quality piece. The MAF housing and the CF weave is of really great quality.

The install is also quite simple. I'm not much of a wrencher, probably a 3/10. I can change my tires, do an oil change and some basic things. This intake install probably took an hour. Maybe 30 minutes if I wasn't wiping and cleaning everything along the way.

Now back to the induction noise. At 3,000 RPM, the noise really comes on and it's bliss. I love shifting it near red line just to hear the noise. It's a nice deep bellow that gets louder and louder. It does make me want the CSL airbox even more...

As for power, I don't now if I notice any gains. Eventuri claims 10 to 15 WHP, but my butt dyno doesn't feel too much of a difference.

I added the Macht Snell elbow (also purchased from Fazalcon at the same time as the valve cover) and with that elbow, I definitely noticed some power loss in the lower RPM bands but again, I can't tell if there are any gains. I notice the loss because it feels like I have to give it a bit more throttle in the lower RPMs.

The intake also fits a bit weirdly with the silicone elbow so I may have to remove it and readjust it.

Otherwise, it's some awesome engine bling, some amazing induction noise. That's good enough for me so power gains (if any) are just a bonus to me.

The one thing I did notice is that during a freakishly warm day in Boston a couple weeks ago (early spring) - the engine kept stalling. The first 30 minutes of driving in the city was fine. But when I parked and idled, the car suddenly start to choke. The RPMs drop and eventually the car stalled. I was able to start it back up again without any problem. I started driving it in the city and every 10 minutes or so, it wanted to stall again. It was about 85 degrees that day, jumping from days of 50 degree weather.

My immediate thought was the Eventuri since that the only thing that changed. I checked for leaks and couldn't find any. I continued to drive it home and it wanted to stall the whole time. I had to give it a bit more gas at stop lights to prevent it from stalling.

I went home and immediately ordered Turner's IAT relocation kit. I assumed it was a heat soak issue with the MAF. I also ordered a bracket and relocated the IAT to the front of the Eventuri intake. The install was inspired from this post: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...7&postcount=44

I liked Turner's relocation kit since it doesn't involve and splicing or soldering. It's also quickly reversible.

The car hasn't exhibited that behavior since and had not stalled again. Although lately the weather has been 50s to 60s. This week, it's high up in the 70s to 80s. But it's not my daily driver so I haven't gotten a chance to reproduce the behavior. Will continue to monitor and hope it's not the Eventuri.

IAT relocation:

Last edited by MrCooperS; Wed, May-17-2017 at 11:49:57 PM.
Jump to top MrCooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-17-2017, 09:49:24 PM   #12
e46lsb

In the garage:

United States

That rust is worse then I envisioned. I don't want to give negativity in your thread. So I won't continue of this. Ultimately the previous seller should of relayed this though.
Old Wed, May-17-2017, 10:44:25 PM   #13
MrCooperS

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46lsb View Post
That rust is worse then I envisioned. I don't want to give negativity in your thread. So I won't continue of this. Ultimately the previous seller should of relayed this though.
Yeah. It's a bit worse than I thought too. I unfortunately did not notice when I picked up the car. The PPI also didn't pick it up. And the seller didn't relay the information to me. I'll chalk it up as tuition cost as a learning experience.

I already have an estimate to get the rust repaired, front and rear bumpers resprayed as well as the CSL trunk lid repaired and installed all at the same time.

Unfortunately, I have not come to a resolution yet with the CSL trunk which is holding up all the exterior repairs I mentioned.

Last edited by MrCooperS; Wed, May-17-2017 at 11:28:53 PM.
Old Wed, May-17-2017, 11:26:23 PM   #14
MrCooperS

United States

Quick photos of the car at my first autocross.

This car handles like a dream. Lots of power under my foot. Super predictable and the handling is exquisite. It's not a very forgiving car if you push it hard, but it rewards smooth driving.

The Michelin PSS tires are great street tires, but are not great at the autocross. After this season, definitely going to downsize to 18" and go with a square set-up. Probably also switch to some sticky RE71s.

Oh and here's another quick mod:

MOD - PAINTED REFLECTORS

This are such a pain in the ass to come by now. Luckily, I found them from a forum member and bought them used. Install was a cinch. I may just have the body shop shave them when I have the front bumper repaired and resprayed. But for now, I like the way it looks, it's much cleaner.

I installed them and met up with a local IB owner over the weekend. Here's a shot of the twins:

I know of one more IB owner in the area. Maybe I can get triplets in one photo soon.
Old Fri, May-19-2017, 06:38:10 PM   #15
usdmej

United States

Nice to see ur setting the car up so well! When I was in the market for a new car it was between this and an R53 as well, what made you sell your 06 jcw?
Old Sat, May-20-2017, 12:41:14 AM   #16
MrCooperS

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdmej View Post
Nice to see ur setting the car up so well! When I was in the market for a new car it was between this and an R53 as well, what made you sell your 06 jcw?
Honestly, it was just time to move on. I've owned two different MINIs for a total length of over 7 years. I really love the MINIs. They are so easy to drive and a lot of fun to drive. But the E46 M3 is where it's at for me. I can't see myself letting go of my M3.

I'd like to see myself in a 981 Cayman GTS one day and I'll probably still keep the E46.

Last edited by MrCooperS; Sun, May-21-2017 at 02:11:24 PM.
Old Mon, May-22-2017, 03:17:49 PM   #17
MrCooperS

United States

Some little things

Replaced the front emblem with a new emblem

And a quick wash before taking it to a local BMW meet-up @ Wile Motor Sports

Old Wed, May-24-2017, 02:25:33 PM   #18
MrCooperS

United States

NEW MOD - SCHROTH QUICKFIT PRO

Installed a 4-point harness on the driver's side. I sat in a couple instructor cars during my autocross event and really liked how the harness keeps you planted so you're not sliding around. I'd imagine this will give you greater control over your car since your input is not distorted by the swaying motion of the car.

Apparently, this model has ant-submarining which is ok for track use. Will have to see what the instructors say next year when I start HPDE events.

As for the install. It was pretty easy. Again - I'm no wrencher. 3/10 maybe. I followed Mad Russian's DIY here:

http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_schroth_rally4.shtml

Took me about an hour? Taking out the rear seats was the biggest pain in the ass. Sliding it out is nearly impossible. You have to bend and flex it a little bit in order to get it out. Also worth nothing that the rear seats should probably come out ever year or so to clean all the gunk in there. I found marbles, cheerios, spilled juice and everything in there. 137,000 miles of crap.
Old Wed, May-24-2017, 03:33:32 PM   #19
FK

United States

I'll probably see your car in the area soon. My car is going to Jake's very shortly for ride height adjustment.
Jump to top FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-24-2017, 05:41:31 PM   #20
MrCooperS

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK View Post
I'll probably see your car in the area soon. My car is going to Jake's very shortly for ride height adjustment.
Awesome. Are you in the BMW CCA group? Do you autocross? What kind of mods? Would love to meet up some time. The Boston scene seems pretty quiet.