BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Thu, Feb-23-2017, 06:40:56 AM   #31
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Jared's E46 M3 Sedan Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
I like where this is going.
Thank you! Your S62 project is amazing. You've done some excellent work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Was literally just flipping through the local CL to see how cheap a slicktop 323i could be found. The wagon supply has dried up so I was considering doing this instead. And now here I see this... consider me inspired.
Thanks! If I didn't have the sedan, it would have been super tempting to go with a touring for the swap.
Jump to top youinreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Feb-23-2017, 07:16:06 AM   #32
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

One more update for now.

The calipers on this car were in really bad shape cosmetically, so my plan was to powder coat them. I'd normally do it myself, but I didn't have the space to do it with the engine tear down going on soon, and I'd hate to hold up the whole build on calipers. My friend is going to get them done for me for a really reasonable price, so I've got to get them torn down. First thing to be removed are the clips. They just pull up and they'll pop right out. The brackets are the next to go. They just pull out from the caliper. The pin bushings need to come out next. I'll be replacing these, so I didn't have to be too careful. To get them out I got a screwdriver and wedged it outside the bushing and twisted it around to get the lip of the bushing out of its seat before pushing it out.

[/url]

The brake lines were cracking, so I cut the lines to get the calipers off earlier. The hose just needs to be removed with a 14mm wrench so I can get the piston out.

[/url]

With the line removed, to try and prevent a mess, I compressed the piston to get any remaining fluid out. To get the piston out of the caliper you just need an air hose and a block of wood to keep the piston from flying out and doing any damage to you or the caliper. I had a piece of styrofoam from the dash nearby so I just used that instead. Put the air nozzle in the brake line hole and give it a gentle little spritz of air. As you can see from the photo, I didn't quite get all the brake fluid out, and it got everywhere, so learn from my mistakes.

The bleed nipples were removed next and then everything was soaked and scrubbed in mineral spirits to clean everything out and then brake clean was sprayed on everything for a final clean before the powder coating.

Things were going well until we pulled apart the second front caliper. The piston seal wasn't fully seated and the piston is in bad shape with rust and corrosion all the way around. I checked on realoem and it doesn't look like the pistons have a part number. I found a seller on Ebay that sells the pistons separately, but I'll have to have it shipped here from Europe. I'll have to get one ordered and hope it doesn't take too long to get here.

[/url]

From here the next step is to get the donor stripped down and out of the garage and get all the unneeded parts listed for sale. The plan was to have it done by the end of this week, but it's also the busiest week of the year for me at work, so I won't be around much this weekend. Hopefully I can get it done quickly and get started on the engine rebuild.
Old Fri, Mar-03-2017, 06:30:41 AM   #33
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

It's been a while, with not much progress sadly. Here's what's been going on for the past few days though.

I've been getting things torn down on the body. Doors, trunk, and rear bumper.

Out of curiosity after seeing the cracked rear subframe mount underneath, we decided to cut the panels from inside the car to see the other side.

Not good. The front right and rear left mounts were cracked. Rear left was the worst of the bunch. After seeing this and reading up on subframe reinforcement, I've got a VinceBar on order for the sedan along with the Turner Motorsports plates to weld in underneath. I'm kind of nervous to peel back the layers and see what's waiting underneath in the sedan. Hopefully it's not this bad.

While we've got the grinder out, we can cut out a couple other things to hopefully be used in the future.

These were a pretty big pain to cut out, but it got done.

After a few paperwork hangups with the auction yard, I finally got the title today, so I should be taking a trip to a scrap yard soon.
Old Fri, Mar-03-2017, 07:34:08 AM   #34
Evtron

In the garage:

United States

Very nice! This looks like a fun project.

E36 M3 Sedan Journal
Jump to top Evtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-06-2017, 06:30:26 AM   #35
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evtron View Post
Very nice! This looks like a fun project.
Thanks! It's been very rewarding so far.

I'm all finished stripping the chassis, so it's finally time to crack the engine open. Removed the ignition coils and bolts/grommets to get started.

Last time I took the valve cover off on my M52TU the gasket was so brittle that it shattered into about 20 pieces that went everywhere. This one was was a much better experience.

It looks pretty clean in there.

We decided to start with the Vanos system. I bought everything that Beisan had for this engine. The advantage of starting with the Vanos stuff is that I can get the old parts returned and get the core charges refunded. I need more parts money back in my wallet!

Started by removing the Vanos assembly. It was really stuck to the engine block. It took a hammer and a putty knife to get it broken loose.

I was ecstatic to find that the exhaust hub did not have a broken tab, which after reading through this forum, I was sure that it would have. The engine has 165k miles on it, and none of the Vanos components look like they had ever been changed. This should breath a lot of new life into this engine.

I'm not going to post a lot of photos of the Vanos components, because it's been pretty well documented by others.

Changed the pump disc for the redrilled disc.

Changed all the o rings in the assembly and replaced all the o rings on the sealing plate, which were all badly cracked.

The filter was caked with oil buildup on the screens. This is what it looks like after cleaning it with some brake clean. It was way worse before. Underneath all the grime there was a hole one of the screens, and the others were breaking apart as well. I'll be changing this for sure. The o rings for this are included in one of the Beisan kits. I knew I had them earlier, but we could not find them anywhere. Turns out they were in a paper towel with the old seals that got thrown in the trash, and because nothing is ever easy, they ended up being at the very bottom of the garbage can. whereas all the old seals stayed at the top We found them after about 20 minutes of digging through oily shop towels. Lesson learned

We got everything except the anti rattle kit done. It was getting late, and it's a bigger job than the rest, so we'll get it started tomorrow.
Old Mon, Mar-06-2017, 07:03:00 AM   #36
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Excellent progress.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-07-2017, 06:32:35 AM   #37
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

Finished up the Vanos for now. Got the anti rattle parts installed. Also got the upper chain guide replaced while I was in there. From what I've read, the tensioner is a common failure point and BMW hadn't updated the faulty design. Looks like the new one is a little more sturdy though. Hopefully this one lasts longer than the last.

Another fun event for the day... The check engine light turned on in my sedan for the first time since I've owned it. It's got a misfire on a few cylinders, but goes away after the car is warmed up. Probably a vacuum leak. Looks like it's time to rip this engine out and replace it with something else.

Old Wed, Mar-08-2017, 03:53:52 AM   #38
MrCooperS

United States

I can't believe how neglected the donor car is. Literally every single thing on the car is neglected. Good progress. Can't wait to see more!
Jump to top MrCooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-09-2017, 06:21:53 AM   #39
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

It's finally time to get the donor car out of the garage. It was a huge pain. The driveway into the garage has a bit of a turn, plus there was a car in the way that didn't have an engine/transmission and had brakes that were frozen up. We got it done, but it took a ton of time.

We started by setting up the jack stands and dropping the car onto them.

The plan was to back the trailer into the garage and drop the car directly onto it. We did this by setting the lift arms inside the car though the windows to get enough clearance for the trailer underneath.

We got the trailer in this far before getting stuck. We had to unhook the trailer and wheel it underneath the car, and then get the truck backed up to it and hooked back up.

Even the neighbors came outside to see what was going on.

There wasn't much wiggle room on either side of the trailer getting it out of the garage and driveway, but we got it squeaked out, and it's all strapped down on the trailer and ready to be dropped of at the metal recycler tomorrow.

Old Thu, Mar-09-2017, 10:13:58 AM   #40
Nurburgring_M3_

In the garage:

United States

can't wait for the next updates!
Jump to top Nurburgring_M3_ is offline   Reply With Quote