BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 07:27:05 AM   #21
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Jared's E46 M3 Sedan Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Nice project! Looking forward to updates. Best of luck Jared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._T-Rex View Post
Nice! Looking forward to updates
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceSE2 View Post
Awesome project!

I'm sure you've seen this already, but I'm very impressed with how neatly this guy solved the front fender challenge. And the whole front for that matter.

https://youtu.be/92uxeXLtndA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I've read through the build thread he made. Amazing craftsmanship. Hopefully I can do this some time in the not too distant future.

It's been a few days since an update, so I'll try and get caught up quick.

The engine, transmission, and front suspension were all pulled as one assembly. After removing accessories from the engine, we got the transmission separated.

Pulled off the pressure plate and inspected the clutch. I don't have photos, but the wear was really uneven. The disc was noticeably thinner towards the edges. The flywheel didn't look too bad. I'll be getting it resurfaced before the new clutch is installed.

We used an engine hoist and some straps to get the engine in the air and bolted to an engine stand. Since the engine has a massive oil leak, I'll be going through everything and replacing every seal I can, plus regular maintenance/common failure points. I've got a new set of WPC treated rod bearings from the group buy, a new timing chain guide, all the Vanos components from Beisan Systems, new cam bolts from Lang Racing, a new CPV o ring, and a valve shim kit. Before I crack the engine open though, the priority is to get the rest of the donor car stripped down and out of the garage.

Rear subframe removal is next. The plan is to keep it all as one assembly and lower it using the transmission jack. (and I just noticed there's a finger in the photo. )

Everything needs to be disconnected, starting with the parking brake cables. I crawled back up in the car and removed the two nuts at the base of the e brake handle. The cables were pulled out from underneath the car and had to be wiggled out through the tunnels just above the driveshaft.

The connector for the rear suspension level sensor was a pain. Trying to pinch and lift the connector off is difficult in the cramped space where it's housed. I spent way too long trying to wrestle it off. I ended up just taking off the mounting nuts and removing the whole assembly and just leaving it plugged into the harness for now. My sedan doesn't have auto leveling headlights, so I won't be needing it anyways.

After all the sensors and cables were removed, we slowly lowered the jack and lifted the assembly off the jack and onto the floor. This thing is super heavy, and like everything else on this car, it's covered in dirt and grime. I'm going to be loading it in a truck and taking it to the wash bay at my work, so some of the weight has to be shed or there's no way I'm going to be able to get it up in the back of the truck. I'm planning on replacing the seals in the differential, so It's got to come out sooner or later anyways. We got the axles unbolted, took out the mounting bolts, lifted up the subframe, and slid the differential out. The calipers came off too. They're in pretty rough shape. Last year I powder coated the calipers for my sedan and they look great. I'm planning on doing the same for these ones. I'm going to have to have a shop do these ones for me though. I don't have the time or space in the garage right now, plus the sandblast media/powder coat gets everywhere and I don't want that right now with all the engine parts I have laying around right now.

After the subframe was removed, I noticed the cracks. It's worse than it looks in the photo. The crack on the right continues on after the bend for a couple more inches. You can grab the stud and wiggle it with your fingers using not much force. Yikes. I've got a subframe reinforcement kit ordered from Turner and I'll be welding it into my sedan to make sure this type of failure doesn't happen.

That's it for now. I've got more photos, but I've really got to get to bed. Thanks for reading!
Jump to top youinreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 02:57:26 PM   #22
BTB

In the garage:

United States

This is gonna be awesome! Poor car though... glad you were able to make use of it
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 03:26:53 PM   #23
KoukiMonster

Pakistan

So cool! In for updates! Great work so far

Jump to top KoukiMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 04:04:25 PM   #24
Sebaflex

Another car saved by M3F! Awesome project man..Good luck!

Jump to top Sebaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-17-2017, 01:24:54 AM   #25
VinceSE2
FKA VinceSE

In the garage:

Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by youinreverse View Post

After the subframe was removed, I noticed the cracks. It's worse than it looks in the photo. The crack on the right continues on after the bend for a couple more inches. You can grab the stud and wiggle it with your fingers using not much force. Yikes. I've got a subframe reinforcement kit ordered from Turner and I'll be welding it into my sedan to make sure this type of failure doesn't happen.

That's it for now. I've got more photos, but I've really got to get to bed. Thanks for reading!

You should get plates, but it's unfortunately a very common misbelief that plates alone is the cure for the cracking and separating floor panels.

Please do yourself a great favor and read this:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=555302

Also notice the failure and fix of the top side of the front mounts. That issue is what's having that stud wiggle around. Obviously a underside plate will not help.

Jump to top VinceSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 01:52:34 AM   #26
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceSE2 View Post
You should get plates, but it's unfortunately a very common misbelief that plates alone is the cure for the cracking and separating floor panels.

Please do yourself a great favor and read this:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=555302

Also notice the failure and fix of the top side of the front mounts. That issue is what's having that stud wiggle around. Obviously a underside plate will not help.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

It's been a while since the last update. Hopefully I can get it all caught up with this post. With the subframe removed, the fuel tank comes next. We started by removing all the lines that were visible from underneath the car.

After the lines underneath were disconected, we climbed up into the car to remove everything from the top. The tops of the fuel pumps were covered in dirt, so a screwdriver and a vacuum were used to get rid of as much of the dirt as possible. I didn't want to run the risk of getting any dirt in the fuel system.

Now time to remove the tank. The arms of the lift were extended to support the tank while the straps were removed.

The tank removal was going smoothly until I realized that we forgot to disconnect a few lines. The fuel rushed to the drivers side and we had to get those last couple lines undone real quick.

With the fuel tank removed, we got a truckload of parts to pressure wash. Sorry, there's no after pictures this time. It was satisfying to get everything clean though.

When we got back my brother got to cleaning the engine off in preparation to tear it down. He got some brushes, mineral spirits, and a pan to set underneath the engine to catch all the runoff.

Action shot!

The oil pan area was so bad that he had to run over it with a scraper before scrubbing it all down.

The harmonic balancer and water pump pulleys were taken off to gain more access. Whoever replaced the water pump last lost a couple of the bolts and used whatever they had laying around. The two non OEM bolts look like they were torqued down a little too tight, and they dug into the pulley a bit. I'll be replacing them for sure.

The headers and engine mount brackets came off next. The headers came off with no problems. No broken studs and it was just a matter of minutes to remove everything. Found one of the mounting brackets in bad shape though. Luckily, they're the same part number as the non M versions, so I'll just be able to use the one in my sedan.

The cleaning did wonders. Looking 100% better already.

While my brother was cleaning the engine, I was working on getting the interior stripped and taking photos so I can get everything listed for sale. What a mess.

I did find some treasures while tearing everything apart, first of which was a citation for reckless driving.

... and $1.41 in change. I'm making my money back already!

Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 06:07:12 AM   #27
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Nice update bud. Time to replace all the gaskets etc on that engine
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 07:09:50 AM   #28
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Nice update bud. Time to replace all the gaskets etc on that engine
That's the plan. I'd hate to put all this work into the project and have an engine that still leaks.
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 04:46:56 PM   #29
PerkM3

United States

I like where this is going.
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 05:18:40 PM   #30
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

Was literally just flipping through the local CL to see how cheap a slicktop 323i could be found. The wagon supply has dried up so I was considering doing this instead. And now here I see this... consider me inspired.
Jump to top Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote