BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Aug-01-2017, 10:46:27 AM   #11
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Default Re: Koyo radiator experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silaciM3CS View Post
Redline360 has it for $395

Were you having problems before installing the Koyo rad? What was the state of your cooling system before that? When you say "cool as ice", have you actually monitored your temp readings?

I'm not doubting, just looking for more info on this rad.
The reason I ask is that a refreshed OE system should perfectly be fine in 100 degree bumper to bumper traffic.

Koyo should theoretically outperform the OE rad on the track, or in spirited driving in the extreme summer heat. But my thinking is that if it's as good as OE, then why bother. It should actually be better and be more efficient at cooling for me to consider it, and that's the kind of info I'm looking at.
Elie, I think it should be better, but only just. I'm interested in a more potent rad, having the pulleys and the electric fan means my needle will wander a bit to the right of the middle reaching 97 98c at times going uphill with AC. Something I never had before the pulleys. But I'm thinking, a bigger copper custom made rad might be a better option? A friend of mine has a supercharged m3 and has that setup, doesn't have issues as far as I know
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Aug-01-2017, 11:16:25 AM   #12
Move_Over

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by silaciM3CS View Post
Redline360 has it for $395

Were you having problems before installing the Koyo rad? What was the state of your cooling system before that? When you say "cool as ice", have you actually monitored your temp readings?

I'm not doubting, just looking for more info on this rad.
The reason I ask is that a refreshed OE system should perfectly be fine in 100 degree bumper to bumper traffic.

Koyo should theoretically outperform the OE rad on the track, or in spirited driving in the extreme summer heat. But my thinking is that if it's as good as OE, then why bother. It should actually be better and be more efficient at cooling for me to consider it, and that's the kind of info I'm looking at.
Redline wants 37 for shipping making other options cheaper. Race consulting is right at 408 with free ship.

I'm wondering if this is "as good" as oem or what at as well. Not sure i want to spend an extra 200 bucks for a radiator that's "as good" as oem.
Jump to top Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-01-2017, 12:43:57 PM   #13
M3AT

In the garage:

United States

I ended up purchasing the koyo radiator but haven't had the time or ambition to put it in. Too busy trying to figure out how I want to mount the spal fan I got to go with it. But the radiator does look to be really good quality, the welds look good to me. I'm aiming to have it in before my next event at mid ohio in september and can post my findings.
Jump to top M3AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-01-2017, 02:30:52 PM   #14
Move_Over

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AT View Post
I ended up purchasing the koyo radiator but haven't had the time or ambition to put it in. Too busy trying to figure out how I want to mount the spal fan I got to go with it. But the radiator does look to be really good quality, the welds look good to me. I'm aiming to have it in before my next event at mid ohio in september and can post my findings.
How are the inlet and outlet ports? Bret posted up a picture a few years back of the CSF radiator having sort of a "blocked" pipe on the inlet, maybe preventing flow. If you have a chance can you post up a picture of the inlet and outlet?
Jump to top Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-01-2017, 04:45:06 PM   #15
M3AT

In the garage:

United States

It's hard to see in there but I don't remember seeing any blockage like that csf radiator had. I'll snap some pictures when I get home.
Old Tue, Aug-01-2017, 05:28:17 PM   #16
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Btw i also noticed periodically blowing compressed air thru the rad helps a whole lot with temps. You'd be surprized how much sand and debree will blow off it
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-01-2017, 09:19:21 PM   #17
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Default Koyo radiator experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
I'm interested in a more potent rad, having the pulleys and the electric fan means my needle will wander a bit to the right of the middle reaching 97 98c at times going uphill with AC. Something I never had before the pulleys. But I'm thinking, a bigger copper custom made rad might be a better option? A friend of mine has a supercharged m3 and has that setup, doesn't have issues as far as I know

My M3 does the same going up hill under load now with the Electric Fan, didn't do this with the Mechanical Fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AT View Post
Look at LAWlence's fan mounting bracket.

N15 Design E46 M3 Electric Fan Mounts

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri - Sprint Booster V2
UltraGauge - Orion V4's - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - VIS XTS CF Hood - CSL Trunk - Valentine One - Turner 15F/12R Spacers

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; Wed, Aug-02-2017 at 12:22:14 AM.
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-01-2017, 10:17:16 PM   #18
djjvr
OEM+

In the garage:

Denmark

While it's not the Koyo unit, I am running a Turner/Fluidyne with no mech fan and the stock aux fan (pending Mishi fan install to replace the stock aux fan) and I have had no issues with driving the car in high temps. Only issue I had was when it was 105 out and I had the AC on full blast the needle began to creep. Other than that, the needle stays center.

Build Journal
Jump to top djjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-01-2017, 10:33:06 PM   #19
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjvr View Post
While it's not the Koyo unit, I am running a Turner/Fluidyne with no mech fan and the stock aux fan (pending Mishi fan install to replace the stock aux fan) and I have had no issues with driving the car in high temps. Only issue I had was when it was 105 out and I had the AC on full blast the needle began to creep. Other than that, the needle stays center.
I would just leave the AUX Fan as it flows way more air than the Mishi Fan.

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri - Sprint Booster V2
UltraGauge - Orion V4's - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - VIS XTS CF Hood - CSL Trunk - Valentine One - Turner 15F/12R Spacers
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-02-2017, 12:02:53 AM   #20
M3AT

In the garage:

United States

I checked my radiator and the inlet path is totally clear with no blockage.