BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Sat, Aug-06-2016, 04:28:55 PM   #31
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: S54 Vanos Info Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduki View Post
This is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing!!
Welcome...

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri - Sprint Booster V2
UltraGauge - Orion V4's - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - VIS XTS CF Hood - CSL Trunk - Valentine One - Turner 15F/12R Spacers
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Aug-13-2016, 11:50:58 PM   #32
twlsfm

In the garage:

United States

I finally did this and the car is running great! This thread is great!

One note I would like to add. I ran into one thing that could have been really bad.

Something I noticed when doing all of this was that my crank pin was not all the way inserted when I thought it was!!!! It seemed like it was in but wasn't. What i had to do was as i was rotating the crank put pressure on the crank pin. You will then feel a very nice interaction of the crank pin and crank itself at TDC.

If you are not sure, see how far the pin sticks out when you KNOW its not in the right spot.

I made a vanos success story thread.. to many bad ones.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...post1067477776
Jump to top twlsfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-14-2016, 04:09:03 PM   #33
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by twlsfm View Post
I finally did this and the car is running great! This thread is great!

One note I would like to add. I ran into one thing that could have been really bad.

Something I noticed when doing all of this was that my crank pin was not all the way inserted when I thought it was!!!! It seemed like it was in but wasn't. What i had to do was as i was rotating the crank put pressure on the crank pin. You will then feel a very nice interaction of the crank pin and crank itself at TDC.

If you are not sure, see how far the pin sticks out when you KNOW its not in the right spot.

I made a vanos success story thread.. to many bad ones.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...post1067477776
Awesome

That's a good point as I experienced this as well. I used a mirror to look down and see exactly where the mark was on the flywheel then insert the tool. I will add this info above.

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri - Sprint Booster V2
UltraGauge - Orion V4's - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - VIS XTS CF Hood - CSL Trunk - Valentine One - Turner 15F/12R Spacers
Old Sun, Aug-14-2016, 08:24:42 PM   #34
DanFromTucson

United States

I'm going through my VANOS rebuild and rattle repair this weekend. I ran into 2 problems that make me think something might be wrong.

First, it was really hard to get my exhaust sprocket back on after I replaced the upper timing chain guide. There just wasn't much slack in the chain. I finally did get it on using a clamp.

Then I went to reinstall the tensioner. I can't get the tensioner deep enough into the hole to get the threads to engage. Even pushing with all my might to get the tensioner to collapse, I can't get it in far enough to start the threads.

Did something go wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.
Jump to top DanFromTucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-14-2016, 09:00:20 PM   #35
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Are you sure the chain didn't move while you had the exhaust sprocket off? Did you clamp it on the intake sprocket like in the photo above?
Is the crankshaft Pin still in place?

Try cleaning the tensioner with brake cleaner, it might just be really stiff.

Old Sun, Aug-14-2016, 10:43:18 PM   #36
DanFromTucson

United States

Edit

Rajaie from Beisan Systems helped. I had the upper timing chain guide slid under the lower timing chain guide. That was the problem.

While I was reinstalling the tensioner bolt though (10 MM hex), I *snapped* the bolt. I was using a torque wrench set to 30 NM, so I have no idea how I did that.

Now I have to figure out if there is a way to remove the broken portion of the bolt, or if I have to have my car towed somewhere. I feel terrible. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. There is only about 1 MM of the broken bolt sticking out of the head, so I can't get vice grips on it.
Old Sun, Aug-14-2016, 11:25:22 PM   #37
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Rajaie is so awesome, helping out on a Sunday! Glad to hear you figured out what was wrong. Sorry to hear about breaking the bolt. What's funny is I almost snapped the same one!

Can you take some pictures and post them? Maybe we can get a better idea of what you are dealing with and come up with some ideas to get that sucker out.

Old Mon, Aug-15-2016, 02:34:40 PM   #38
DanFromTucson

United States

Here's a picture. The broken bolt is circled. The clearance isn't great. This is on a Z4M coupe, so there is less clearance in front of the engine. I don't know if I could get a drill in there to try a left-hand bit and extractor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broken_Bolt.jpg (406.7 KB, 82 views)
Old Mon, Aug-15-2016, 03:09:23 PM   #39
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Default S54 Vanos Info Thread

Ya that is pretty tight. I don't think you could get a right angle drill in there either. I first thought you broke the head of the bolt off. I have some Craftsman bolt extractors that work great in situations like this but I'm not sure if there is enough of the bolt sticking out.

Here is a kit for $18- http://www.sears.com/craftsman-bolt-...000P?rrec=true

#2 Remover fits Hex sizes 5/16 in. and 8mm
#4 Remover fits Hex size 10mm
#8 Remover fits Hex size 13mm
#12 Remover fits Hex size 11/16 in.
#13 Remover fits Hex sizes 3/4 in. and 19mm

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; Mon, Aug-15-2016 at 03:25:40 PM.
Old Mon, Jan-23-2017, 08:20:44 PM   #40
Thenakedflyer

United Kingdom

Hello guys.. I'm doing a whole engine rebuild and at stage of doing the timing check on the vanos. I followed the beisan systems procedure both shafts and crank locked and after tightening everything, then, doing a full rotation and then checking the timing again, the inlet camshaft was in a retarded position by about ten degrees or so so had to slacken the hub bolts again and turn the shaft back to the correct position and retighten the hub bolts.. This was after the whole vanos unit had been fully mounted. Am I right in saying that after a few full cycles or rotations of the assembly and back to tdc cylinder one the splined shafts should be fully towards the front of the car and against the vanos unit and oil pump disc ie against the piston stops and the camshafts still be in time with the bridge and locking pins dropping in?
Jump to top Thenakedflyer is offline   Reply With Quote