BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Thu, Aug-18-2016, 03:15:51 PM   #271
grke36m3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 631
Reputation: 0 grke36m3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Philly

United States




Default Re: Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed!

What's the correct pad sensors for the kit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Jump to top grke36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Aug-18-2016, 04:33:59 PM   #272
p0lar
Naturally Agitated
 
p0lar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,554
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 p0lar will become famous soon enough

United States




Default Re: Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grke36m3 View Post
What's the correct pad sensors for the kit?
Pad wear 'sensors' are not complicated, it's simply a binary open/closed loop without respect to any digital or analog signal validation. If the loop is closed, the pad wear levels are considered good. If the loop is open (the wire has been 'cut' by the rotor wearing the pads, the pads should be changed.

There are about 3, maybe 4, common Porsche pad sensor inserts. For the pads used in the Boxster calipers, you can source the pad sensors from a 2002 Boxster (any model, any axle) and then splice them onto E46 M3 sensors at the caliper end. I've been meaning for years to do a write-up on this and simply haven't had the time, but it's not a complex affair if you have a soldering iron (with solder), heat gun (or lighter), and some shrink wrap. Simply pull the jacket of the sensor back on the E46 cable and lightly clamp it. Place the 996 pad wear sensor where the first insert matches the E46 pad insert and cut both in a 'staggered' fashion such that once you have soldered them, the joints are not aligned in a twinaxial fashion. Place shrink wrap over the longer end of both wires, strip, solder, shrink and unclamp to pull the outer jacket back over the wrapped joints. I'll provide a better tutorial soon with photos, I promise.

Alternately, if you do NOT want to run pad wear sensors, you can simply tuck the E46 M3 sensor out of the way with wire ties or clip it close to the plug and solder the two wires together with no wires dangling below.
Jump to top p0lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-19-2016, 12:30:52 AM   #273
M3 dude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 402
Reputation: 0 M3 dude is on a distinguished road

Australia




Default Re: Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed!

does performance get adversely affected if you install only the front porsche calipers? leaving the standard m3 rears?

or does this mod require both axles done to keep the same bias?
Jump to top M3 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-19-2016, 12:42:50 AM   #274
stogybear
Registered User
 
stogybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 386
Reputation: 0 stogybear is on a distinguished road
Location: San Francisco

Armenia




Default Re: Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0lar View Post
I'm working on a different caliper that will be turn-key with the E92 front rotors. They absolutely require modification to the front shield to even mount, however.

I'm absurdly busy with domestic home renovations, so there's no time frame on delivery quite yet.
Ooh looking forward to that.
__________________

2005 AW M3 - 6MT - Bay Area
Jump to top stogybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-19-2016, 05:11:42 AM   #275
robgill
I'd rather be at the track.
 
robgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 772
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 robgill is on a distinguished road
Location: NYC

United States




Default Re: Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 dude View Post
does performance get adversely affected if you install only the front porsche calipers? leaving the standard m3 rears?

or does this mod require both axles done to keep the same bias?
I ran just the fronts for one track day and it was fine.
__________________

My '02 E46M Build Thread
Jump to top robgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-19-2016, 03:23:22 PM   #276
nasieg
Registered User
 
nasieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,853
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 nasieg is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 dude View Post
does performance get adversely affected if you install only the front porsche calipers? leaving the standard m3 rears?

or does this mod require both axles done to keep the same bias?
p0lar is the expert on brake bias. I don't know how it affects the bias, when you just do the fronts, but my guess is you will have more front bias, which in theory is safe, but not ideal, as you are giving up some available stopping power in the rear. Meaning the fronts will lock up before the rears get close to their full potential....in theory. In praxis it is probably negligible.

I know (from p0lars chart) that the complete 996 kit adds a slight percentage of rear bias, compared to stock. It's not much. Not something you need to worry about. At the track I have had the ABS kick in many times in the front, while the rears weren't there yet, so it is a none issue. My feeling is acutely that it is a plus to add a little more brake bias in the rear, from the stock config, because car manufacturers generally design/set up cars with more front brake bias to begin with. The reason is that they want to make absolutely sure the general public does not have rear brakes lock ups and spin outs. That being said, in theory, it means that the stock rear brakes leave some stopping power on the table.

For example. I made a custom BBK on my last track car and had installed a brake bias valve. Once I got comfortable with it I started to play with the settings a bit. The car came originally with a rear brake bias valve, which reduced the rear brake bias. It was amazing how much more rear brake bias I was able to dial in, before it became a problem (rears locking up before the fronts) . I think the factory valve was 68% reduction, but when I had the adjustable valve installed I was able to go to almost full open, or about 95%. That goes to show you how safe the factory bias is.

Anyway, I'm not a seasoned expert on all of this. The above is just my opinion, based on my own experience and some common sense.
Personally I would do both front and rears, but you are definitely safe just doing the fronts.
__________________



My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Sportline CS8's, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk
Jump to top nasieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-20-2016, 03:27:36 AM   #277
M3 dude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 402
Reputation: 0 M3 dude is on a distinguished road

Australia




Default Re: Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasieg View Post
p0lar is the expert on brake bias. I don't know how it affects the bias, when you just do the fronts, but my guess is you will have more front bias, which in theory is safe, but not ideal, as you are giving up some available stopping power in the rear. Meaning the fronts will lock up before the rears get close to their full potential....in theory. In praxis it is probably negligible.

I know (from p0lars chart) that the complete 996 kit adds a slight percentage of rear bias, compared to stock. It's not much. Not something you need to worry about. At the track I have had the ABS kick in many times in the front, while the rears weren't there yet, so it is a none issue. My feeling is acutely that it is a plus to add a little more brake bias in the rear, from the stock config, because car manufacturers generally design/set up cars with more front brake bias to begin with. The reason is that they want to make absolutely sure the general public does not have rear brakes lock ups and spin outs. That being said, in theory, it means that the stock rear brakes leave some stopping power on the table.

For example. I made a custom BBK on my last track car and had installed a brake bias valve. Once I got comfortable with it I started to play with the settings a bit. The car came originally with a rear brake bias valve, which reduced the rear brake bias. It was amazing how much more rear brake bias I was able to dial in, before it became a problem (rears locking up before the fronts) . I think the factory valve was 68% reduction, but when I had the adjustable valve installed I was able to go to almost full open, or about 95%. That goes to show you how safe the factory bias is.

Anyway, I'm not a seasoned expert on all of this. The above is just my opinion, based on my own experience and some common sense.
Personally I would do both front and rears, but you are definitely safe just doing the fronts.
good feedback, thanks!
Jump to top M3 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-23-2016, 03:18:00 PM   #278
HassanEido
Registered User
 
HassanEido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,416
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 HassanEido is on a distinguished road

Lebanon




Default Re: Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed!

Guys can someone please show me how brake bias was caluculated for this kit? And how it would change of the fronts were used only?
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-26-2016, 01:00:20 AM   #279
grke36m3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 631
Reputation: 0 grke36m3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Philly

United States




Default Re: Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed!

Anyone try stop tech sport pads?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Jump to top grke36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-26-2016, 01:59:34 AM   #280
maruscmn
Registered User
 
maruscmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 586
Reputation: 0 maruscmn is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grke36m3 View Post
Anyone try stop tech sport pads?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Yes. Got rid of them.

Running Porterfield R4-S and am very impressed with them.
Jump to top maruscmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed! in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)