BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Apr-17-2018, 03:31:02 AM   #1
03FLBimmerm3

In the garage:

United States

Default Idle Hunting, SES light w/ Misfire codes..but car runs fine with SES on

So, after a nice refresh on M, I started encountering a consistent idle hunting that would sometimes stall the car after starting her in the morning. It would hunt for about 15 secs then stabilize. While driving and stopping at a light, however, the car would almost stall when in neutral...even worse if I had the A/C on. It would then cycle and the car would fire up and run as normal.

While driving, the SES light popped up. I got home and read the codes with ISTA:

AE: Fuel-System diagnosis, cyl. 1-3
AF: Fuel-System diagnosis, cyl. 4-6
CE: Misfiring, cyl 2 without cylinder cutout
CF: Misfiring, cyl 3 without cylinder cutout
D0: Misfiring, cyl 4 without cylinder cutout
D1: Misfiring, cyl 5 without cylinder cutout
D5 : Misfiring, several cylinders without cylinder cutout

My air/fuel ratios must be all jacked up...

Now the interesting part is the car fires up with no idle hunt and drives great with the SES light on...when I clear the codes, old problems come back and SES returns with similar codes after a good amount of driving.

I cleaned the ICV/TB/MAF sensor, replaced fuel filter, o2 sensors are all new..inspected for leaks and couldn't find any. I've reset adaptations and the car seemed to run good in the short term then I feel like the long term readings kicked back in..

Any ideas what could be causing these codes? I've read that putting the o2 sensors in the wrong place could cause this..I recently had new headers (NO CATS) installed on the car so I'm thinking maybe this? I'm going to get a new custom dyno tune soon as my current tune is probably really outdated..not sure the tune will fix this issue or not..no idea

I've attached some pics for reference. I ran my o2 sensor readings while driving around and they were moving between .1 and .9 so I think that means there working properly..I also took a look at the RU measurement screen and it said uneven running..? No idea what this means

Any ideas/feedback?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (174.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpeg image2.jpeg (354.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpeg image3.jpeg (165.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by 03FLBimmerm3; Tue, Apr-17-2018 at 03:38:10 AM.
Jump to top 03FLBimmerm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-17-2018, 03:48:10 AM   #2
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Idle Hunting, SES light w/ Misfire codes..but car runs fine with SES on

Incorrect O2 location... already answered your own question
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-17-2018, 04:08:08 AM   #3
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Idle Hunting, SES light w/ Misfire codes..but car runs fine with SES on

A lot of O2-related issues lately on the forum. Everyone must be getting the cars out of hybernation with last minute tune-ups.

O2 wires and connectors, even though they might be marked under the beauty cover with permanent markers or whiteout or whatever, could be marked incorrectly, and in a lot of cases are marked incorrectly from prior time they were changed. Unless changing one sensor at a time and plugging everything in where it came from, easy to mess up.

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, Rogue RSM with reinforcement, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-17-2018, 04:45:27 AM   #4
03FLBimmerm3

In the garage:

United States

So the codes for sure point to incorrect o2 sensor positions? If so, my day will be made.. I will remove each one, read the location and make sure they are in the right spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue, Apr-17-2018, 03:34:10 PM   #5
03FLBimmerm3

In the garage:

United States

Here's my dilemma, I have CPI Stepped headers..the o2 sensors slots are literally right next to each other on each bank..would this really make a difference? I'm going to throw my stock intake back on with a different MAF for kicks n giggles.
Old Tue, Apr-17-2018, 03:37:33 PM   #6
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03FLBimmerm3 View Post
Here's my dilemma, I have CPI Stepped headers..the o2 sensors slots are literally right next to each other on each bank..would this really make a difference? I'm going to throw my stock intake back on with a different MAF for kicks n giggles.
We're talking about O2's on the wrong bank.....
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-18-2018, 03:14:56 AM   #7
03FLBimmerm3

In the garage:

United States

Ok, so I tested all my sensors, pulled them out to see what bank/sensor they were reading. I then examined where they were on my headers. Bank 1 sensor 1/2 are in the correct place. However, for Bank 2, sensor 1/2 need to be flipped. I can't get to them underneath the car as my header is the way. Would this be causing the issue? The bank 2 sensor 1/2 bungs are literally right next to each other...
Old Thu, Apr-19-2018, 05:08:50 PM   #8
03FLBimmerm3

In the garage:

United States

Bump..so I swapped the sensors on Bank 2 so everything is in the correct position. Reset my adaptations and idle hunt is gone along with no SES light...then after amost 2 days of drive, the SES light came back on with these two codes..no idle hunting anymore

AE: Fuel-System diagnosis, cyl. 1-3
AF: Fuel-System diagnosis, cyl. 4-6

I took a look at my STFT / LTFT:

STFT 1: -.20
STFT 2: -.21
LTFT 1: 1.16
LTFT 2: 1.16

EDIT: After clearing the SES, putting my stock intake back in and about 5 days of driving... my fuel trims have adapted and the SES hasn't come back on..

STFT 1: -.02
STFT 2: -.02
LTFT 1: 1.04
LTFT 2: 1.03

Last edited by 03FLBimmerm3; Mon, Apr-23-2018 at 09:10:11 PM.