BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

View Poll Results: Coilover Setups
Solo-Werks/Godspeed 1 1.37%
Megan/Ksport 1 1.37%
Bilstein b12 3 4.11%
ISC N1 2 2.74%
BC BR Series 6 8.22%
Vogtland 1 1.37%
Koni + Springs 11 15.07%
ST XA 4 5.48%
Status Gruppe SS/SRS/RS-ENR 4 5.48%
H&R Coilovers 2 2.74%
Fortune Auto (Broadway) 500/510/Dreadnought 3 4.11%
Eibach ProStreet 3 4.11%
KW V2/V3/Clubsport 11 15.07%
Ground Control 13 17.81%
Bilstein B16 PSS9/10 8 10.96%
Ohlins R/T 9 12.33%
TCK SA/DA 17 23.29%
AST 4100 Series 4 5.48%
MCS 1/2-way 8 10.96%
Bilstein Clubsport 2 2.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sat, Apr-29-2017, 11:50:11 PM   #1
mrfuzzybagels
(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

In the garage:

United States

Default Definitive Coilover Guide w/ Poll

In a effort to simplify the never ending search for coilovers/suspension setups I wanted to compile a list of the various options currently on the market, along with a poll for people who've run various setups to give their approval. Though named the "definitive" guide this is done so mainly to make obvious what the contents of the thread will be. I am by no means a suspension expert and so rely on the community as a whole to provide their insight into various setups or correct any mistakes. I am only putting all the info in one place for ease of access, for myself as much as anyone.

DISCLAIMER (READ): This is not a coilover ranking, it is a guide. All coilover threads involve members stating "I have run XXX and I would recommend them". Quite often topic starters already have an idea of what they want to run and are looking for people who approve. The poll contained here is so that people can at a glance see whether something they are interested in is recommended by another member. It is NOT a comparative ranking of all the coilovers listed. For example, BC coilovers are a popular entry level setup and as such may end up with more votes than something like the Bilstein Clubsports, that does not mean they are better or even anywhere near the same quality. Each poll option is not to be weighted against the others, but is to stand alone. This guide is simply a jumping off point for people searching for the right coilover for them, with listings, prices, links, and recommendations/reviews of what is currently available. It is up to the individual to do their due diligence and research further into any particular setup by searching this or other threads for reviews/warnings and by asking questions.

How Voting Works
If you've run a listed setup AND you approve of it, vote for it. Simple. If you do not approve, don't vote. If you haven't run a setup, dont vote. You can vote for as many setups as you've run. Because polls are limited to 20 options, certain similar setups are lumped in together while other top/god tier setups are left out comepletely. Where necessary be sure to post about the specific setup you are vouching for. Poll options can't be changed, but if there is anything significant left out it can be added to the end of the list so people can at least be aware of it. Remember you are not only free to but encouraged to provide your own insight or review whether positive or negative of anything listed or not listed.

List Info
Listed below will be most of the currently available setups. Some specific ones will be left out as they can get a tad redundant, for example Fortune Auto/Broadway Static 500, or Ground Control Street/School/Track/Race etc. In these cases notes will be made regarding the variations if they all fall within a certain price range. Too much variation and they get their own listing, TCK SA vs DA for example. Listing may changed depending on community feedback, but the poll options themselves will not. Price listings will use the following key:

~$XXX denotes a certain variance in available prices, you may find the particular setup for a significant percentage more or less depending on where you look

Starting from means there are various options available that will change the price significatnly, for example camber plates and swift springs etc

$XXX-XXX means there are several variation within a narrow enough price range, for example GC having 3 setups within a 1800-2000 or so. -For a few high end setups sold as dampers this will mean the cost range expected to build a functional kit. See notes for those setups.

$xxx means the price can be fairly reliably found, give or take a small amount

* asterisk denotes coilovers suggested/requested by the community that are viable for the main group but are not included in the poll. Are considered vouched for and "worthy" by the simple fact they are only here at the recommendation of the community.

Various notes and other info can be added at request, but for now I am starting off simple. It is also important to note that I am leaving out extreme high end setups like Moton and top tier AST etc, as anyone who is in the market for those kinds of setups probably will be doing much more research than this guide can provide. I also will be listing extreme low end and poorly reviewed setups not because I approve, but because someone always inevitably asks about them. I encourage you to speak against using any setup you have a bad experience with. These particular setups will be noted as "low quality" as a warning, until someone vouches for them. Low quality notes basically mean "not reviewed", or coilovers that no one in the community is known to have run regardless of actual quality. It basically means "run at your own risk". If someone vouches for or admits to running these particular setups without some catastrophic failure the "low quality" warning can be removed.

The List: assorted by approximate price low-high, click names for links

Solo-Werks S1
$550
Notes:low quality

Godspeed
$800-900

Bilstein b12 kit
~$875
Notes:not actual coilovers but a spring/shock package, comes with eibach springs

Megan Euro Street
$899
Notes:there is a lower and higher tier setup that are -/+ a few hundred $ and are generally no better quality than these, so are lumped in together

Status Gruppe SS
Starting at $899

Ksport Control Pro
~$945

ISC N1
$984

BC BR Series
~$995

Vogtland Coilovers

~$999

Koni Yellow + Springs (sold serparetely)
~$1000 (~$800shocks/~$200springs)
Notes:not an actual coilover but a spring/shock setup, springs sold separately and several to choose from with Eibach/H&R/Vogtland being the most popular. Springs not listed in poll to keep from cluttering.

ST XA
~$1050

Status Gruppe SRS
Starting at $1199

*MCA Blue Series
~$1200usd +international shipping ($200-250)
Notes: An Australian made coilover, Blue Series is the entry level setup. Read a forum member review of MCA Red here.
No international online store exists (yet) but you can purchase directly from MCA contacting them directly on their website or messaging via their Facebook page .

H&R Coilovers
~$1200-1400
Notes:two different variants, both considered low quality

Fortune Auto 500 (Broadway Static 500s)
Starting at ~$1375
Notes: Fortune and Broadway are the same company but Brodway versions are built to cater more towards very low setups, with high available spring rates, super low springs, and valved to handle the lower setups. Both versions can be found on the same linked site.
Fortune 500:

Broadway 500s

Eibach ProStreet
~$1450
Notes:fairly new and so you can find lots of good deals on them

*MCA X Series
~$1550usd +international shipping ($200-250)
Notes: An Australian made coilvoer, X Series is the Street/Track level setup with a few submodels catering to either comfort or performance. Read a forum member review of MCA Red here.
No international online store exists (yet) but you can purchase directly from MCA contacting them directly on their website or messaging via their Facebook page .

KW V2
$1590
Notes: new lower pricing on KW these days

Ground Control
$1700-2100
Notes: GC has several variations avaible within a narrow price range, as well as a street version at lower price and double adjustable track version at high price. All versions are considered good quality and so only a single version is listed for reference. All other can be found on linked site.

Bilstein B16 PSS9/10
~$1800

Fortune Auto 510 Series
$2050

*MCA Red Series
~$2185 +international shipping ($200-250)
Notes: An Australian made coilvoer, Red Series is the performence/track oriented setup with custom valving. Read a forum member review of MCA Red here.

KW V3
~$2200
Notes: new pricing

Ohlins R/T
$2375

TCK SA
Starting at $2400

Status Gruppe RS-ENR
Starting at $2499

AST 4100 Series
$2549
Notes: 5100 available for similar price, has inverted shaft (4100 vs 5100 difference needs clarification from someone who's run them plz)

MCS 1-way
$2725-3450
Notes: MCS are sold as dampers only and come with spring perches, top nuts and adjusters. Springs, camber plates and rear height adjusters sold separately. Springs recommended on linked site start at $75.

*Nitron NTR R1
Starting at $3100
Notes: A high end built to order coilover. R3 version also available for $$$.

*JRZ RS1
$3150-4150
Notes: RS1's are the entry level JRZ option and can be a bit confusing. You can buy the dampers only (no springs etc) for $2500 but in order to make them work you will at the very least need fixed springs and adapter sleeves. This effectively makes the functional base price about $3150. There is a complete JRZ spring package that includes JRZ springs, camber plates, ride height adjusters and adapter sleeves that brings the price to ~$4150. Depending on where you buy, a more modest swift spring package may be available that offers a lower tier (still very high quality) spring package priced somewhere between the base and JRZ spring options.

KW Clubsport
~$3229

TCK DA
Starting at $3280

MCS 2-way
$3425-4125
Notes: MCS are sold as dampers only and come with spring perches, top nuts and adjusters. Springs, camber plates and rear height adjusters sold separately. Springs recommended on linked site start at $75.

Fortune Auto Dreadnought
$3799

Bilstein Clubsport
$4100

__________________________________________________ ____________

Discontinued - Coilovers no longer in production but worthy of attention, listed in no particular order

JIC Magic
Notes: A rare but well reviewed coilover. No longer in production, but may come up for sale from time to time? Website still exists so maybe we'll see them again one day.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Top Tier/God Tier - aka track specific (mostly) setups. Coilovers here are super high end and mainly used for serious track builds. Not listed among the main group as people looking for this caliber coilover probably arent gonna be using this kind of guide. Voting for this tier would be redundant anyway as they are by their very nature extremely high quality. Sharing just so people know they exist. Setups tend to be highly customizeable with several variants and many options. Prices are approximate as they can vary widely depending on options. Listed in no particular order.

AST 5200/5300
~$4500-6000
Notes: AST's 2 and 3 way adjustable coilovers.

Moton 2-way Sport
~$5000+
Notes: Also comes in 3 and 4-way for costs unknown (lists as "call for price").

MCS 3-way
~$5900

JRZ RS 2/Pro
~$4600-6500
Notes:Both RS2 and RS Pro are double adjustable but RS Pro has an external reservoir. Sold as complete kits w/ JRZ springs and camber plates.

JRZ Motorsport Line
~$6600-12000+
Notes: JRZ's professional racing line. Available in 2-way, 3-way, and 4-way. Price varies wildly with kit and options.

Let me know if there's anything you want added that I missed.

Last edited by mrfuzzybagels; Tue, May-02-2017 at 02:29:58 AM.
Jump to top mrfuzzybagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Apr-30-2017, 12:03:52 AM   #2
idntknow2005

United States

Default Re: Definitive Coilover Guide w/ Poll

Where are the Jic magic?
Old Sun, Apr-30-2017, 12:23:07 AM   #3
aznbo187
XIII

In the garage:

United States

Nice guide! I gotta update mine now -_-
Old Sun, Apr-30-2017, 12:33:24 AM   #4
mrfuzzybagels
(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbo187 View Post
Nice guide! I gotta update mine now -_-
Is there another guide? Only found general guides when I searched. Link?
Old Sun, Apr-30-2017, 12:55:55 AM   #5
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Great thread/list. I appreciate that you included shock/spring combos.

I've run 6 of these setups and voted for 5.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-30-2017, 03:14:18 AM   #6
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by idntknow2005 View Post
Where are the Jic magic?
I was going to mention this! Great coilovers (front and rear too)!! I suspect it may be because they are rare, most are unfamiliar, I think you are the only one I currently know running a set on this board, and the fact that they are no longer produced, so only available on the used market or if they can be found, as old 'new' stock sitting in someone's inventory.

I've got a set of KW V3 that I will be sending in for a rebuild. Once they are rebuilt and I spend some time on them, I will report back.

Mods: Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Supersprint LW Race Muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, .
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-30-2017, 03:21:59 AM   #7
aznbo187
XIII

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfuzzybagels View Post
Is there another guide? Only found general guides when I searched. Link?
Lol, was referring to my exhaust thread.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=484858
Old Sun, Apr-30-2017, 03:35:13 AM   #8
speeeding

United States

I have the Nitron R1. Top tier coilovers. They're built to order, and the rears are a coilover conversion setup. $3375.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U526866_web.jpg (127.2 KB, 32 views)
Jump to top speeeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-30-2017, 03:46:28 AM   #9
mrfuzzybagels
(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbo187 View Post
Lol, was referring to my exhaust thread.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=484858
Ah. Yes that guide I know lol. I think I saw an updated 2017 version posted recently. By someone else I assume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
I was going to mention this! Great coilovers (front and rear too)!! I suspect it may be because they are rare, most are unfamiliar, I think you are the only one I currently know running a set on this board, and the fact that they are no longer produced, so only available on the used market or if they can be found, as old 'new' stock sitting in someone's inventory.
Yeah I've definitely never heard of those before lol. I looked em up and the website still exists so I suppose I could add a "discontinued" section, but I am hesitant to add anything that isn't actually available to keep things from getting too cluttered. Maybe tho. They definitely look nice.
Old Sun, Apr-30-2017, 03:55:54 AM   #10
mrfuzzybagels
(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeeding View Post
I have the Nitron R1. Top tier coilovers. They're built to order, and the rears are a coilover conversion setup. $3375.
added!