BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Apr-08-2018, 04:36:17 PM   #601
suss1173

In the garage:

United States

Default Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread

I am getting ready to reinstall the trans and Iím stuck....

I took things apart 2 weeks ago, and was unexpectedly pulled away from the project. I feel like a idiot for asking this as I know that I should have taken pictures b/f I walked away from the project. But none the less, Iím stuck and naturally in a time crunch, b/c I need the car back together by tomorrow. 🤦

Im hoping someone can guide me as to which port/hole the locking pin, compression spring, and thrust pin go into. Also, is the orientation of the locking pin relevant? In my mind, I felt like they were in the port/ hole the gear position sensor screws into. However, I referred to this exploding diagram from real-OEM, to be certain where stuff goes, and it appears there 3 ports/holes for things to go into..

However on the actual transmission, I only see 2 holes/ports. Am I misinterpreting the diagram on real-OEM, or am I missing something on my trans?

Not sure if itís relevant, but the purpose of pulling the trans wasnít for an SMG swap; my car was always a 3 pedal car. But, my 3 gear synchroís weíre shot, and I was able to pick up a 70k mileage SMG trans for a reasonable price. So I felt the best option was swap my bellhousing onto the SMG trans and hear I am...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top suss1173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Apr-08-2018, 05:12:10 PM   #602
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss1173 View Post

I took things apart 2 weeks ago, and was unexpectedly pulled away from the project. I feel like a idiot for asking this as I know that I should have taken pictures b/f I walked away from the project. But none the less, Iím stuck and naturally in a time crunch, b/c I need the car back together by tomorrow. 🤦

Im hoping someone can guide me as to which port/hole the locking pin, compression spring, and thrust pin go into. Also, is the orientation of the locking pin relevant? In my mind, I felt like they were in the port/ hole the gear position sensor screws into. However, I referred to this exploding diagram from real-OEM, to be certain where stuff goes, and it appears there 3 ports/holes for things to go into..

However on the actual transmission, I only see 2 holes/ports. Am I misinterpreting the diagram on real-OEM, or am I missing something on my trans?

Not sure if itís relevant, but the purpose of pulling the trans wasnít for an SMG swap; my car was always a 3 pedal car. But, my 3 gear synchroís weíre shot, and I was able to pick up a 70k mileage SMG trans for a reasonable price. So I felt the best option was swap my bellhousing onto the SMG trans and hear I am...

Parts 8,9,10 on the diagram go into the hole you tapped for the gear ID sensor in the "new" smg tranny. The lock pin (8) has to have the roller in horizontal position. The pin (10) has to have the "pin" end face outward (it is what will press against the ball on the gear Id sensor (look at the gear ID sensor (11), it will make sense), then you put the spring over it. Then you screw on the gear ID sensor (11) onto it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-08-2018, 05:14:51 PM   #603
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

Your top left red arrow seems to be "done" and is the gear id sensor. Bottom left red arrow is for parts 14,15,16, which you don't have to touch.

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Old Sun, Apr-08-2018, 05:59:06 PM   #604
suss1173

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for the quick and detailed response Megizmo.

Old Sun, Apr-08-2018, 06:50:20 PM   #605
suss1173

In the garage:

United States

Default Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread

Just to clarify when you say the roller on part #8, needs to be horizontal, do you mean the actual wheel/roller would be spinning (rotating) towards the front or the aft of the car/transmission. And the wheel/roller should not be able to rotate/ spin towards the bottom to top of the trans.

I assume part #8 should have some pressure, and needs to be lightly tapped into position.

Sorry for these newbe questions, and I really appreciate the help.

Last edited by suss1173; Sun, Apr-08-2018 at 07:18:24 PM.
Old Sun, Apr-08-2018, 07:31:12 PM   #606
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Just to clarify when you say the roller on part #8, needs to be horizontal, do you mean the actual wheel/roller would be spinning (rotating) towards the front or the aft of the car/transmission. And the wheel/roller should not be able to rotate/ spin towards the bottom to top of the trans.

I assume part #8 should have some pressure, and needs to be lightly tapped into position.

Sorry for these newbe questions, and I really appreciate the help.

Yes on your interpretation of how the roller should be positioned.

You don't really need to tap it in, just push with your finger. Get the tranny into neutral. Push the roller pin in. That will be the farthest the roller will travel into the tranny, because there is a groove on one of the shift arms that makes some space for the roller to sit in. Then shift the tranny into any gear, you should feel the roller push outward toward your finger.

To understand this a bit better, look inside the hole you would be putting the roller into and move the shifter around through the gears, you will see the groove on the inside shift fork move.

Old Sun, Apr-08-2018, 10:49:27 PM   #607
suss1173

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Yes on your interpretation of how the roller should be positioned.

You don't really need to tap it in, just push with your finger. Get the tranny into neutral. Push the roller pin in. That will be the farthest the roller will travel into the tranny, because there is a groove on one of the shift arms that makes some space for the roller to sit in. Then shift the tranny into any gear, you should feel the roller push outward toward your finger.

To understand this a bit better, look inside the hole you would be putting the roller into and move the shifter around through the gears, you will see the groove on the inside shift fork move.

Thanks for the explanation, that helps.

Old Tue, Apr-10-2018, 05:37:38 PM   #608
aa240sx

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

just a comment, but definitely like the use of the harbor freight dolly to hold the tranny - definitely the way to go!

Plan on doing the SMG to manual swap in the coming weeks and will be using this as well.
Jump to top aa240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-11-2018, 04:15:59 PM   #609
suss1173

In the garage:

United States

I have the SMG bellhousing and my old trans. If anyone local to the NY,NJ, CT area wants it, I am open to offers. Possibly it would be easier for someone to be able to convert this SMG bellhousing prior to pulling there trans.
Old Wed, Apr-11-2018, 10:02:59 PM   #610
adrim3

Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGenius46M View Post
Anyone have the address for part 1 for mss54hp cars? 4028 results in a field that is FFFF on manual HP DME tunes from the few I compared which tells me this space is only relevant to pre-04 cars. I was able to adjust part 2, but need part 1 for cruise to work on the car I worked on last night.

Have yet to find any info on here regarding the offset location for part 1 to remove the GPS from the DME, so I'm assuming people with 04+ cars are skipping this step when they realize the offset is incorrect for all models.

If anyone knows the correct offset, program version in question is 2001, I'd greatly appreciate it for future reference for all.

Any idea??

I answer myself. I changed in 4028 to 00. I did not work in 02 or in 01.
Now the cruise control works but without a clutch sensor, this means that when I put the clutch on while the cruise control is being revolutionized +-1500rpm and it is deactivated. It is not instantaneous.
when I brake, it is instantly disconnected.
so if you do not want to spend 60 euros on the clutch sensor as I did I can do this. Someone wants an OEM clutch sensor???

Last edited by adrim3; Sat, Apr-14-2018 at 02:23:24 AM. Reason: Correction
Jump to top adrim3 is offline   Reply With Quote