BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

View Poll Results: Your choice?
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C 6 15.00%
2006 Lotus Exige S 5 12.50%
2011 Lotus Evora S 5 12.50%
2014 Porsche Boxster S 7 17.50%
2014 Porsche Cayman S 17 42.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 05:04:50 PM   #11
FastYugo

United States

Default Re: $45K Question: Fun car edition

since internet monies, evora
Jump to top FastYugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 05:19:46 PM   #12
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

The Evora is actually pretty reliable car:
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=213&t=1613519
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 05:21:07 PM   #13
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

I prefer the styling of the Boxster to the Cayman, which looks like a cockroach.
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 05:41:49 PM   #14
EKaru

United States

some random sales stats:

Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 05:42:09 PM   #15
Cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaru View Post
I prefer the styling of the Boxster to the Cayman, which looks like a cockroach.
i forget the numbers 981 etc., but the 2009-2013 or so looks a lot better than the 2013+ It has just gotten too busy, and I agree it's worse on the Cayman.

that being said, they have kept the weight down and added more power even to the base models. As you well know, the performance of the S models is downright ridiculous now.
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 05:49:21 PM   #16
racingbmwm3
Illegal domestic alien

In the garage:

United States

define fun please.

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX
gone:'01 325i, '02 X5 4.6is, '87 325, 94 325i, 93 525it, 84 318i (373k miles), 71 2002
Jump to top racingbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 06:00:07 PM   #17
EKaru

United States

The 981.1 Cayman S had a somewhat disappointing showing in Motor Trend's best driver's car comparison:

Quote:
5th Place: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
The Conundrum

It’s a well-worn gripe in automotive circles: The Cayman needs more power. It’s a fine day when you can say “only” 325 horsepower isn’t enough, but that’s where the world has taken us. Being the second-least powerful car here isn’t what really sank this former Best Driver’s Car champ, though it did come up. What really did the Cayman in was, as the Germans would put it, a lack of emotionalism.

In updating the Cayman for 2014, Porsche seems to have lost a bit of its personality. Said Lieberman: “Needs a bit more character. There’s almost something clinical, perhaps sterile, in the way it drives. It’s not engaging enough; it’s not flawed enough. It’s too well-thought-out. I’d like a sharper edge.”

No fear. No lift. No hesitation. Just enjoyment. Everything about this car is balanced perfectly. — Carlos Lago

Jurnecka agreed. “I can’t help but feel let down by the Cayman. I was expecting greatness, but I came away feeling flat. It’s a tremendously capable car, perfect in so many ways, but it just doesn’t grab me the way the old one did.”

Then again, those same editors also had glowing praise for the Cayman. Lieberman: “Great handler. Excellent brakes. Very well behaved. Good damping. Doesn’t squirm around. Allows mortals to go flat every once in a while.” Said Jurnecka, “If I had to choose a car to run an unfamiliar road with at speed, it would be the Cayman S. I’d also pick it for a 24-hour endurance race just because it’s so easy to drive quickly.”

Randy, for his part, was far less conflicted. “You know, this version of the Cayman is a little looser on entry than the last version, and I actually like it. It is a rotator. You get into the corner with the Porsche, ease off the brake, and the tail moves out just a little bit, rotating the car and pointing the nose at the apex. Extremely enjoyable experience driving the Cayman S. That car might be the definition of good handling. I feel like I can do almost exactly what I want. The Cayman is an excellent car at the limit. It can be driven there and live there happily.” Happily enough to post a 0.4-second-quicker lap time, at 1:41.26, than the last-gen’s hardcore Cayman R.

He did have one complaint, though. “The Cayman is sensitive to being on-power causing some understeer. You can’t go to too much power too soon. Under power, the front gets a little light, but I think it’s a little more than I remember in the last generation. With a lot of power in the right corner, you can actually free the car up and get less understeer because of slight wheelspin or wheel slide and a bit of rotation.”

Such was the conundrum of the Cayman. It was nearly perfect and seemed to do everything right, but still fell just short. It wasn’t for lack of trying. Most of what the Cayman did thrilled us, but we couldn’t help wanting for just a little more. Not because we were feeling greedy, but because the car was so good, it could handle more. It’s like that star player who has the talent to embarrass everyone else on the field, but always seems to be stuck in a rut where he’s trying hard and performing well, but the trophy-winning moves just aren’t coming out. You know the Cayman can do just a little better and be truly brilliant, but for some reason, it’s just not quite there.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2013-...t-drivers-car/

Last edited by EKaru; Thu, Jan-18-2018 at 06:04:53 PM.
Jump to top EKaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 06:12:05 PM   #18
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Voted Boxster. As a fun car I've started to appreciate being able to let the top down, and I like that it can come in manual.

If it was available in MT, I could be swayed by a 4C Spider.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 06:49:06 PM   #19
ashram
Asheram

United States

Alfa, so I can drive around pretending I'm in a 8c
Jump to top ashram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 06:57:02 PM   #20
EKaru

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashram View Post
Alfa, so I can drive around pretending I'm in a 8c
The 4C is a much better car to drive than the wooden 8C as per the auto journalists.