BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Sun, Jul-08-2018, 02:47:06 PM   #11
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: What pulls timing on the S54?

FWIW - I have the same set up you except for having BW exhaust. I only make 331 rwhp. The engine is solid - clean - <1% leak down on all cylinders. I have not reviewed timing though. Since I run in a wt/hp class, I really don't need or want any more power, but am interested to know what you learn. I also run Epic tune.

#67 2019 NASA National TT3 Champion; 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS 2W NR, Hyperco 700F 800R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jul-08-2018, 06:54:19 PM   #12
10speed

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
FWIW - I have the same set up you except for having BW exhaust. I only make 331 rwhp. The engine is solid - clean - <1% leak down on all cylinders. I have not reviewed timing though. Since I run in a wt/hp class, I really don't need or want any more power, but am interested to know what you learn. I also run Epic tune.
Randy did mention the OEM plentum with 4" pipe is a strong combination. I just figured the Evolve airbox was worth something more than it. After he started dialing in the tune he mentioned the car was not reacting properly with the timing he was trying to give it. After 7 dyno runs, the above is what we got. That's why it seems like something just isn't right.

I suppose it's time for a leak down test on this motor.
Old Sun, Jul-08-2018, 07:15:46 PM   #13
ctres

United States

Do you have a way of monitoring knock sensor activity? Also IAT and coolant temps. Most ECUs will pull timing for at least those three things. It's possible that something loose in your exhaust system or elsewhere on the engine is causing vibration that the knock sensors are picking up.

The slight VE increase from an airbox shouldn't make you that much more knock limited that you have to pull out 3 degrees of spark so I suspect something else is going on here. Were any changes made to vanos timing? I've experienced pretty significant changes in knock sensitivity on some engines when changing exhaust cam phasing. I've never calibrated an S54 but if you have logs I'd be willing to take a look and let you know if anything stands out.
Jump to top ctres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-08-2018, 08:05:58 PM   #14
10speed

In the garage:

United States

Would be great to log the knock sensors. I recall someone doing that on the forum here.

IAT and coolant temps were logged in BMWlogger. 80 IAT 2-3 degrees higher than ambient. Coolant temps were around 160f - 170f. Is that perhaps too cool?

I’ll listen around to the engine again under load to see if any noises stand out. The motor has harder BW group n motor mounts but they do seem to cause any extreme vibrations under load.

I don’t believe any changes where made to vanos timing to cause this. Basically made 325 on previous mods, added the airbox and made less power.
Old Sun, Jul-08-2018, 08:44:06 PM   #15
ctres

United States

160 to 170f coolant temp sounds a tad bit low, but I'm not sure if there is anything in the MSS54 controls that would retard spark before reaching full operating temperature. Typically some ECU controls will begin retarding spark as coolant temps climb above a calibrated operating range and the engine becomes more knock sensitive but that doesn't sound like it's the case here.

80f IAT doesn't sound like anything crazy, unless the previous dyno run was done on a much colder day.

So you are saying that the tune didn't change at all when you switched to the new airbox? Do you have wideband O2 readings? You were previously running alpha-n with the stock airbox, and then you switched to a carbon airbox and did not change the tune at all and you are seeing lower power numbers?
Old Mon, Jul-09-2018, 04:06:09 AM   #16
jozy

Hong Kong

is it possible to disable or desensitise the knock sensors just to test whether timing is getting pulled because of them?
Jump to top jozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-09-2018, 04:14:23 AM   #17
10speed

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctres View Post
160 to 170f coolant temp sounds a tad bit low, but I'm not sure if there is anything in the MSS54 controls that would retard spark before reaching full operating temperature. Typically some ECU controls will begin retarding spark as coolant temps climb above a calibrated operating range and the engine becomes more knock sensitive but that doesn't sound like it's the case here.

80f IAT doesn't sound like anything crazy, unless the previous dyno run was done on a much colder day.

So you are saying that the tune didn't change at all when you switched to the new airbox? Do you have wideband O2 readings? You were previously running alpha-n with the stock airbox, and then you switched to a carbon airbox and did not change the tune at all and you are seeing lower power numbers?
My best numbers 325/245 was done a few years ago, 55 degrees ambient.
Current numbers 321/248 were made at about 75 degrees ambient on the same dyno. Both times, the car was remote tuned on the dyno by Epic. To answer your question, I added the airbox and had it remote dyno tuned on the smae dyno. No wideband O2 readings. Just AFR from a sniffer in the exhaust pipe.
Old Mon, Jul-09-2018, 01:19:33 PM   #18
ctres

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozy View Post
is it possible to disable or desensitise the knock sensors just to test whether timing is getting pulled because of them?
So you are suggesting disabling knock sensors and adding spark and just letting it knock? How are you going to determine if it's knocking, and if so, what the knock intensity is? I'm accustomed to calibrating fully instrumented engines with in cylinder pressure transducers, so the minimal amount of data we have in this situation already makes it difficult to determine what's going on, and removing a critical sensor sounds like a pretty bad idea.
Old Mon, Jul-09-2018, 01:22:15 PM   #19
ctres

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10speed View Post
My best numbers 325/245 was done a few years ago, 55 degrees ambient.
Current numbers 321/248 were made at about 75 degrees ambient on the same dyno. Both times, the car was remote tuned on the dyno by Epic. To answer your question, I added the airbox and had it remote dyno tuned on the smae dyno. No wideband O2 readings. Just AFR from a sniffer in the exhaust pipe.
55 vs 75 degrees will make a slight difference in knock sensitivity, but in my experience it isn't enough to make a change of 3 deg of timing.
Old Mon, Jul-09-2018, 04:55:43 PM   #20
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

I'd be curious what the car does if you use higher octane fuel. If the car suddenly starts hitting targets, it probably means you *are* riding the knock sensor..
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote