BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Tue, Feb-25-2014, 03:40:56 AM   #11
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Converting an MSS54HP into an MSS54HP CSL (H-bridge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemyridiculous View Post
Another question. Do you have to have the H Bridge if you're not going to have a CSL intake with the flapper?
If you don't care for the flapper, the H-bridge is unnecessary. Just delete the codes
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Feb-25-2014, 03:42:32 AM   #12
bemyridiculous
it hurts my brain parts

In the garage:

United States

Sweet, easy enough! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bemyridiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-25-2014, 09:33:00 PM   #13
lupo4mot

United States

So when i understand it right, the conversion of the dump is the follow.

1. i must have a full readout from my car by desoldering or BDM to have no Problem with vin and ews matching --> non CSL MSS54HP

2. i made the conversions of the Bootsector, change byte .......................etc..

3. then i copy the data and programm sections over my dump that i convert from the .0da and .0pa from CSL

4. flash it back and it runs ???

Or is this Boot sectorconversion for the CSL Dump ???
Jump to top lupo4mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-26-2014, 02:27:39 AM   #14
NickG
BMW turbos with the factory ECU

United States

For those of you that don't mind getting dirty and taking some risk, here's a way to get the CSL program without reflashing the boot sector (ie, no BDM required unless you f- this up). If you don't understand what I'm about to describe, then this mod isn't for you. Wait for somebody else to do it and wrap it into a pretty package for the masses.

This mod isn't perfect, but if you want the CSL DME functionality without using a BDM, there is no other choice at the moment. The side effect of this mod is that follows there is a chance that future flashes of the DME can cause the DME to lock-up due to a mismatch in program/calibration format

If you're fine with the above, then let's move on........

The whole premise of these changes is to (obviously) allow the non-CSL boot loader to accept the CSL program. This is done by changing the CSL program and calibration project string from 2500 to 2300 (from MSS54HP CSL to MSS54HP non-CSL). Since the locations that the non-CSL boot loader references do not match up with the CSL calibration, the CSL calibration is modified to make the non-CSL bootloader happy. THEN, the CSL program is modified to work with this newly modified CSL calibration. Clear as mud, right?

First, you'll have to prepare your CSL calibration file. Make the following changes:

0xBFBD = 0x33 (changes project to MSS54HP non-CSL)
0xBFCD = 0x33 (changes project to MSS54HP non-CSL)
0xBFDD = 0x33 (changes project to MSS54HP non-CSL)
0xE002 = 0x01 (makes master bootloader happy)
and then correct the checksum. Now your CSL calibration file is ready.

Next, get your new CSL program file ready. Attached is a modified CSL master program file. It is a .rar file. Download it and change the extension from .pdf to .rar. Uncompress it and you'll have the .bin file. Combine this modified master file along with a stock, unmodified CSL slave program file.

For those interested, the modified master program has the following changes:
- project changed from MSS54HP CSL to MSS54HP non-CSL
- reference to word at 0x8E002 changed to reference to byte at 0x8E003 (this frees up the byte at 0x8E002, which the bootloader looks at)
- checksum corrected

Now all you have to do is flash in the new, modified Program first, then follow it with the modified calibration.

Note: these steps essentially create a newly defined MSS54HP non-CSL program and calibration. Since the program number is a CSL number, but the project number is a non-CSL number, I don't know how factory diagnostic tools will handle the mismatch. Thus, if recovery via flashing is required, factory tools may not work. Brute force recovery methods may be required. You've been warned, so tread carefully.

Also of note, I have not tried this file. I have no need for this modification (as I don't really see any benefit). Thus, this is untested. Again, do this at your own risk.

Have fun!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7837340_CSL_master_forNonCSL.pdf (80.2 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by NickG; Wed, Feb-26-2014 at 05:55:52 PM. Reason: simplified the process
Jump to top NickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-26-2014, 05:51:36 PM   #15
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for the post nick. I'll test this out on my own dme first since I can recover easily via BDM. If it works, I suppose I can upload patches for the winkfp 0pa and 0da files

If I remember correctly, aren't those bytes just compared to 0 (TST)? Meaning if the slave is happy with 01, it should be happy with 7B too, right?
Old Wed, Feb-26-2014, 05:55:00 PM   #16
NickG
BMW turbos with the factory ECU

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Thanks for the post nick. I'll test this out on my own dme first since I can recover easily via BDM. If it works, I suppose I can upload patches for the winkfp 0pa and 0da files

If I remember correctly, aren't those bytes just compared to 0 (TST)? Meaning if the slave is happy with 01, it should be happy with 7B too, right?
Excellent point, and good catch. I'll edit my post accordingly.
Old Tue, Mar-25-2014, 12:57:05 AM   #17
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Finally got around to testing this and it appears to work fine. I didn't try actually driving with it, but the DME boots and is responsive. Flashing an unmodified CSL data file doesn't brick it, but the DME refuses to run until you flash back a modified file. Flashing an unmodified program will brick it, but WinKFP tries its hardest to prevent you from doing that.

So I'd say this is pretty safe. Asides for using up the number of flashes, you shouldn't have an increased chance of bricking. Of course it goes without saying that neither I or any of the M3forum staff are responsible for anything that happens to your DME. Flash this at your own risk

Thanks for the info NickG

Attached is an archive (rename .pdf to .rar) with a pre-modified 0PA and 0DA file for WinKFP. Flash them via Expert mode.

N.B. The tune is an otherwise unmodified CSL file. You will still have to read out the dump and modify it for your specific equipment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CSLonNonCSL.pdf (351.9 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by terraphantm; Tue, Mar-25-2014 at 06:04:30 AM.
Old Tue, Mar-25-2014, 07:44:47 AM   #18
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Quote:
Finally got around to testing this and it appears to work fine. I didn't try actually driving with it, but the DME boots and is responsive. Flashing an unmodified CSL data file doesn't brick it, but the DME refuses to run until you flash back a modified file. Flashing an unmodified program will brick it, but WinKFP tries its hardest to prevent you from doing that.

So I'd say this is pretty safe. Asides for using up the number of flashes, you shouldn't have an increased chance of bricking. Of course it goes without saying that neither I or any of the M3forum staff are responsible for anything that happens to your DME. Flash this at your own risk

Thanks for the info NickG

Attached is an archive (rename .pdf to .rar) with a pre-modified 0PA and 0DA file for WinKFP. Flash them via Expert mode.

N.B. The tune is an otherwise unmodified CSL file. You will still have to read out the dump and modify it for your specific equipment
Thanks for posting this up. PDF not working for some reason.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-25-2014, 07:46:32 AM   #19
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

the file is actually a .rar file -- you have to rename it. The forum doesn't allow files named ".rar" to be attached (you'd think us mods would be allowed to attach anything... I digress)

Last edited by terraphantm; Tue, Mar-25-2014 at 07:50:13 AM.
Old Tue, Mar-25-2014, 07:50:20 AM   #20
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Quote:
the file is actually a .rar file -- you have to rename it. The forum doesn't allow files named ".rar" to be attached (you'd think us mods would be allowed to attach anything, but I digress)
Cool. Thank you.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote