BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Tue, Oct-08-2013, 03:56:38 AM   #21
Namniek

United States

Default Re: CSL SMG Engine Parameters (DME)

Subscribed. Thanks for sharing!
Jump to top Namniek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Oct-08-2013, 06:12:07 AM   #22
JAVI'S M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontgen View Post
Thanks to SliM3 for making the necessary tweaks to my tune over the weekend! I previously had the CSL SMG software and have put several thousand miles on it with an unmodified DME.

I've driven about 250 miles with both the CSL software & the DME settings listed in the OP. So far I really like it. My observations:

- Shift speed is quicker across the board. S4 feels like S5 used to.
- Rev-matching on downshifts is much, much better. It seems to more accurately choose the target rpm and get it there quickly. This seems to add the throttle "blips" that we all love.
- 1-2 shift is a little jerky, but aside from that, it seems to have smoothed things out considerably. Maybe it's all in my head, but these settings seem better "matched" to the CSL SMG software. If that's the case, I guess that's not at all surprising since BMW designed them to work as a pair.

Thanks again!
What tool did you use to reflash the DME? I am having a hard time doing this. Am I suppose to combine the bin file and the flash file SliM3 gave me? If you happen to have a step by step that would be awesome! Btw I am using the bimmersoftware tool.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Jump to top JAVI'S M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-08-2013, 12:33:56 PM   #23
SliM3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI'S M3 View Post
What tool did you use to reflash the DME? I am having a hard time doing this. Am I suppose to combine the bin file and the flash file SliM3 gave me? If you happen to have a step by step that would be awesome! Btw I am using the bimmersoftware tool.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Gotcha taken care of man Let me know if you have any more issues, but it's pretty straight forward using BMWFlash.

Quote:
Thanks to SliM3 for making the necessary tweaks to my tune over the weekend! I previously had the CSL SMG software and have put several thousand miles on it with an unmodified DME.

I've driven about 250 miles with both the CSL software & the DME settings listed in the OP. So far I really like it. My observations:

- Rev-matching on downshifts is much, much better. It seems to more accurately choose the target rpm and get it there quickly. This seems to add the throttle "blips" that we all love.
- 1-2 shift is a little jerky, but aside from that, it seems to have smoothed things out considerably. Maybe it's all in my head, but these settings seem better "matched" to the CSL SMG software. If that's the case, I guess that's not at all surprising since BMW designed them to work as a pair.

Thanks again!
Darrell, glad you're liking it

I actually had my driver demand (DD) torque map set pretty high, so my clutch engagement was pretty aggressive when I shift without letting-off on the gas; hence my comparison of 'S3' to 'S5'. I think it was a bit much for the stock clutch set-up, but would definitely be a nice fit for an upgraded unit so I opted to go back to stock settings for the time being.

///M3 '06 Carbon Black

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

- Checksum corrections for modified DME partial & full bin files

- CSL SMG Engine Parameters (DME) by Slim

- Fuel adaptations explained

- Checksum Verification
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-08-2013, 02:21:32 PM   #24
Rontgen

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliM3 View Post
Darrell, glad you're liking it

I actually had my driver demand (DD) torque map set pretty high, so my clutch engagement was pretty aggressive when I shift without letting-off on the gas; hence my comparison of 'S3' to 'S5'. I think it was a bit much for the stock clutch set-up, but would definitely be a nice fit for an upgraded unit so I opted to go back to stock settings for the time being.
Actually, that's a much better way to describe it than just "jerky." The 1-2 shift itself is fine, it's the clutch engagement after the shift that's a little abrupt. It doesn't really bother me, but my wife noticed it over the weekend.. lol

The 3-2 downshift is a little slower than the others, unless you have your foot in the throttle pretty hard. Again, I'm nit-picking - this is a great mod. Having never driven a real CSL, I can't say how close or far it is from the real thing, but it's definitely a change. I'll see if I can take some video today....

Now, if we can just get the CSL software to default to manuel mode, it would be perfect! I'm still at a loss as to why BMW would program the CSL that way in the first place. If anything, I'd expect the regular M3 to default to Auto and the CSL to default to Manual - not the other way around. Again, not a big deal, but rather an annoyance...

Thanks again Brian! We appreciate all the hard work!

2001 M5
Jet Black / Black
Jump to top Rontgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-08-2013, 05:40:15 PM   #25
JAVI'S M3

In the garage:

United States

SliM3, I got it working and I love it. I never had so much fun driving to work...lol. 1-2 is aggressive which I like, down shifts are improved drastically, especially 3-2. I will go on the freeway later and get all the gears working
Old Wed, Oct-09-2013, 05:38:05 AM   #26
paffy

Czech_Republic

You should also copy over the KL_SMG_KUPP_* parameters (clutch related stuff). It makes a difference.
Jump to top paffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-09-2013, 05:55:41 AM   #27
JAVI'S M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by paffy View Post
You should also copy over the KL_SMG_KUPP_* parameters (clutch related stuff). It makes a difference.
You have my attention, tell me more :-)

Sent from my 5s
Old Wed, Oct-09-2013, 07:36:41 AM   #28
Samsonite79

In the garage:

China

Subscribed, and PM'ed for help, thanks for the help, and keep up the great work!
Jump to top Samsonite79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-09-2013, 11:33:51 AM   #29
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Great Work Guys. Looking forward to more reviews.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-09-2013, 07:50:53 PM   #30
macming

Canada

Thanks to SliM3 for changing my DME file on short notice. I uploaded the tune this morning, and I have to say WOW. The clutch engagement is a "little more" aggressive when starting from stop, but nothing that a little gas pedal articulation can’t resolve.
Overall, the gear box shifts faster throughout every mode, and the downshifts rev-matches much more aggressively. But I think the winner here is that how SMOOTH the gearbox feels now when the car is driven slowly. When I approached a stop light this morning, I didn’t even notice the 3 -> 2 shift or 2 -> 1.
This mod is truly amazing when matched with CSL tranny software. If anyone has the ability to flash their car, this is one of the top mods I’ve done to the car. Next to my suspension mod!

With this mod, I can say that I really LOVE the SMG box now.

Quote:

Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliM3 View Post
In conjunction with Obioban's thread New (awesome) DIY programmable option: CSL launch control and shifting (SMG), which includes terraphantm's DIY pdf, I wanted to share the other half of this awesome mod for all us SMG folks.

Just a little background for those that aren't too savvy with SMG functionality, the above SW re-flash is designed to take advantage of the more aggressive and faster CSL SMG controller shift logic.

Since gear shifts are a timed synchronous event between both DME and SMG controller, to really take advantage of true CSL shifting we need to address the engine controlled portion of the event. What we end up with is around 18 maps that need to be snatched from the CSL engine SW, overwriting your current maps.

First are the up-shift recognition maps that establish values based on driver demand torque (you pressing the gas) & engine speed for both Comfort and Sport modes. There's one each for regulated speed control, gear change, and full turn-on (torque ramp) for a total of six.

The next set of maps are for downshifting, with their values based on deceleration rate (fps) and engine speed. Total of six as well.

The next, more important set of maps, control the actual timing of engine speed regulation and torque ramp-up based on the recognition maps above. These also work in conjunction with the faster SMG controller logic to really shorten that timed synchronous shift event. To put it in perspective, shift logic '3' on this set-up feels more like shift logic '5' on normal ///M's.

Of note, eng. speed regulation is the same between normal ///M's and the CSL, however the torque ramp-up time is considerably shortened, nearly cut in half in some areas.
CSL

Normal Ramp-up

These maps took a bit of figuring out but they are the ever-so-popular rev-match parameters. They serve as an applied percentage to target engine speed based on deceleration rate (fps) and current rpm. As you can see the normal maps top out around 60% applied engine speed, while the CSL tops out @ 100% applied engine speed. Also, the target engine speed threshold is referenced via a 3x0 function map with 400, 500 & 1000 rpm values.

CSL
Note: My Sport map is modified but normally both these maps are identical.

Normal ///M

Driving Impressions:

I will try and get a video up this weekend, but for the most part the shift event is brutally fast and aggressive in logic '5' & '6'. It requires a bit of throttle finesse in the lower gears 1>2 and 2>3, but an engine screaming shift from 3rd to 4th feels incredible. There's no delay nor loss of torque so the car just pulls and pulls. Guys with SC's or turbo's will love this, and might even gain an edge on a head-up race between a comparable 6MT. My feeling is that, if you were ever unimpressed with the SMG's shift performance, this will quickly change your perspective.

I can assist anyone who might be interested in rolling with this upgrade, just shoot me a PM.

Last edited by macming; Wed, Oct-09-2013 at 07:53:57 PM.
Jump to top macming is offline   Reply With Quote