BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 03:41:52 PM   #301
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Obioban's 332iT Daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredMV View Post
Hey Ian, how's your daily holding up?
Awesome

Just rolled over 182,000 miles yesterday. Did an inspection 2 (filters/fluids/plugs/valve adjustment) at 180,000 miles.

I've actually done a couple projects I haven't documented on here yet-- roof rack delete and black headliner/pillars.

I also have a big winter for it planned:
-head gasket (not leaking, but at some it'll be needed and I'm already removing the headers, which is half the job done)
-euro headers
-euro catted section 1
-head decked, valve guides and seals replaced (again no issue, but with the head off it seems silly not to at what will be 19X,XXX miles on it)
-entire cooling system
-egt relocated
-euro tune
-new pulleys/belts/tensioners
-clean the idle control valve and starter terminals (no issues there currently, but I'm a believer in doing that while the intake manifold is off
-I may replace the PITA TPS while I'm in there, and throw the existing good one in the spare tire well for road side repairs

-and at some point I still have upgraded projectors I need to install in it and new headlight lenses. I'll probably do that while the head is away, since the car will be offline either way.

It's a lot of stuff at once, but it's a lot of shared labor, so it should go pretty quickly. WhileYoureInThereitis bit me big time.

Parts are piling up in my garage

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Thu, Oct-12-2017 at 03:45:26 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 03:51:42 PM   #302
sooch

United States

I'm very tempted to join you in the 5 series Beater category.... There's 5-6 in my area at sub 2k in decent shape. The initial price wouldn't be too bad, just worried about upkeep on some neglected cars...
Jump to top sooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 03:54:24 PM   #303
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

I'm also working on overhauling the way the rear brakes work. Stock, the running lights are stupidly (dangerously) dim.

Sooooo, my plan is...
-put two stage bults in the inner and outer brake lights, and the fog lights. Code them all to come on dimly as running lights (tippling the running light quantity)
-standard braking will now be the inside and outside brake lights (used to be just the inside), bright, plus the 3rd brake light
-Brake force display stage 2 (hard braking) will add the rear fog lights (both left and right) at full bright
-Brake force display stage 3 (ABS braking) will keep the above, but strobe the 3rd brake light and outside brake lights

In the process I should be gaining headlight aiming control via the dial and rear fog lights on demand (for when it's foggy), as I bought a euro LCM faceplate.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 03:55:28 PM   #304
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooch View Post
I'm very tempted to join you in the 5 series Beater category.... There's 5-6 in my area at sub 2k in decent shape. The initial price wouldn't be too bad, just worried about upkeep on some neglected cars...
I actually think I'm going to sell mine. It's just a bit too beat for me to be able to enjoy it.

... I do want another, in better shape.

Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 03:58:00 PM   #305
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I actually think I'm going to sell mine. It's just a bit too beat for me to be able to enjoy it.

... I do want another, in better shape.
*cough* M5 touring conversion *cough*

Jared's Daily/Track '02 M3 Convertible: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=545658
Jump to top JaredMV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 04:04:06 PM   #306
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredMV View Post
*cough* M5 touring conversion *cough*
I don't think it works as well. The e39 touring has MUCH different suspension geometry than the sedan (including airbags), and is just never precise.

If I were to swap an e39 touring, I'd put a V12 in it. The e39 is a KICKASS comfortable cruiser, and the V12 would enhance that.

... but recently I've been obsessing about doing a 2002 with an F20C with iVTEC retrofit

Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 08:44:03 PM   #307
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
If I were to swap an e39 touring, I'd put a V12 in it. The e39 is a KICKASS comfortable cruiser, and the V12 would enhance that.
Whoa.

That's one of those "how have I never heard of or thought of it before" ideas that is just kind of perfect...

Then again, once you're out of M engine/suspension territory, it's hard to make the argument for an E39 touring with V12 over just an E38 750iL as a comfy cruiser.
Jump to top Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 08:49:21 PM   #308
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Whoa.

That's one of those "how have I never heard of or thought of it before" ideas that is just kind of perfect...

Then again, once you're out of M engine/suspension territory, it's hard to make the argument for an E39 touring with V12 over just an E38 750iL as a comfy cruiser.
Yeah-- the e38 750iL is on my short list of future cars

Old Sun, Nov-19-2017, 01:59:56 AM   #309
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

I've done a couple of projects that I haven't gotten around to taking pictures of or posting about-- namely roof rack delete, huge brake light output upgrades, and black headliner/pillars. Hopefully I will soon.

Until then, I installed this today. Belongs to a friend of mine, but I'm "storing" it for him for a couple of weeks in the wagon. Previously I've only had Sparco seats in track cars, never a Recaro or in a street car. This thing is definitely on a higher tier.

Recaro Profi SPG XL with a Brey Krause R-9222 seat mount on a BMW e46 power slider.

Initial impressions:
-getting in and out of the car sucks
-once seated, it's remarkably better (and comfortable)
-the stock 3 point belt receiver with the pre tensioner isn't great in either of the two ways you can run it (over the seat or through the hole). One way it digs into you, the other way it's too high for good contact. If I was going to run this long term, I'd likely use a rear seat belt receiver up front to get it better positioned, though it would be a shame to lose the pretensioner in the process.
-the headrest feels too far back (likely for helmet clearance) and a bit too little padding to be safe without a helmet
-the seating position is completely wonderful. This must be what it's like to be a normal person height. I can fit an entire fist above my head, and this car has a sunroof! I also don't have the steering wheel in the highest position. Traditionally I have to recline the seat a bit to fit in the car with a helmet on-- sub optimal.

All told, gives me lots of things to consider for this winter's seat project in my M3 coupe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0119.jpg (766.9 KB, 438 views)

Old Sun, Nov-19-2017, 05:03:37 PM   #310
cncmastr
M-Texture Alcantara

In the garage:

United States

This is really cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collection of my DIY Guides here
Personal Blog