BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Place to discuss sights and sounds.

Old Tue, Sep-05-2006, 05:58:08 PM   #21
tom @ eas
M3Forum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by earboy82
Tom,

I agree that there will be some inevitable noise, although the noise that is present in my car seems like an awful lot to what should be considered normal. Granted the noise gets louder as the radio gets louder but I definately feel it should not be as bad as it is.

Anyway, if you have anymore suggestions please let me know, I would really like to try and get rid of the noise.

Thanks,
Ulises
Ulises,

The module could possibly be defective, contact me directly and let's swap it out to see if that cures the issue. I'll have a module tested on our bench and my own BMW to verify.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Jump to top tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Sep-17-2006, 05:47:33 AM   #22
BMWM3Rules

United States

Try disconnecting the Ipod and then reconnecting it. Sometimes I get this noise and this takes care of it. Also make sure you set the EQ on the Ipod - to OFF.

2001 Audi S4, 6spd Sport,Premium,Cold Weather, Bose, Stasis Tracksport 600/700 coilovers, Euro code HIDs, Phatbox, Nav Plus, OZ Superleggera 18x8, 3M Clear Bra.

2004 M3 Silver/Black - SOLD
Jump to top BMWM3Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-17-2006, 05:58:59 AM   #23
BMWM3Rules

United States

Tom,

I got the updated DICE unit and don't have the "Speed Dial"/display problem. Thanks for your help with that!

My main issue is that everytime I turn the car off and turn it back on it starts on Playlist1. I've got like 50 playlists and endup listening to the first few only because I don't drive long enough to cycle through the playlists - plus I don't want to cycle to Playlist30 and then stop to get coffee and start back at Playlist1. Once I get back into the car and want to go to Playlist31 - I have to cycle through from Playlist1 instead of being at Playlist30 before I turned the car off. This is REALLY ANNOYING! The DICE people should make the Ipod stay at the last play list when the car is turned off. If the Ipod can hold 20gigs of music - that's like 2000 songs to cycle through.

I wished I would have bought a PhatBox instead

2001 Audi S4, 6spd Sport,Premium,Cold Weather, Bose, Stasis Tracksport 600/700 coilovers, Euro code HIDs, Phatbox, Nav Plus, OZ Superleggera 18x8, 3M Clear Bra.

Old Sun, Sep-17-2006, 06:02:40 AM   #24
tom @ eas
M3Forum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3Rules
Tom,

I got the updated DICE unit and don't have the "Speed Dial"/display problem. Thanks for your help with that!

My main issue is that everytime I turn the car off and turn it back on it starts on Playlist1. I've got like 50 playlists and endup listening to the first few only because I don't drive long enough to cycle through the playlists - plus I don't want to cycle to Playlist30 and then stop to get coffee and start back at Playlist1. Once I get back into the car and want to go to Playlist31 - I have to cycle through from Playlist1 instead of being at Playlist30 before I turned the car off. This is REALLY ANNOYING! The DICE people should make the Ipod stay at the last play list when the car is turned off. If the Ipod can hold 20gigs of music - that's like 2000 songs to cycle through.

I wished I would have bought a PhatBox instead
What about selecting Playlist 31 via the iPod before driving off? This is only 3 clicks.

Old Sun, Sep-17-2006, 06:08:13 AM   #25
BMWM3Rules

United States

My Ipod is in the trunk where the CD changer is. I would have to open the trunk and do this everytime I get into my car. I thought the whole idea of this is to be able to control the Ipod from the car's radio controls.

Old Sun, Sep-17-2006, 06:13:50 AM   #26
tom @ eas
M3Forum Sponsor

Quote:
My Ipod is in the trunk where the CD changer is. I would have to open the trunk and do this everytime I get into my car. I thought the whole idea of this is to be able to control the Ipod from the car's radio controls.
The iPod is never recommended to be left in the trunk for a number of reasons - number one being heat, this will destroy an iPod instantly.

The DICE offers plenty of steering wheel control, but the iPod is unlocked to alow the best search tool - the iPod itself. I would either recommend bringing the iPod into the cabin area with you, or renaming the playlist to be towards the top of the list.

Old Sun, Sep-17-2006, 06:29:14 AM   #27
BMWM3Rules

United States

Hey Tom,

So you're telling me that resetting the Playlist to Playlist1 everytime you start the car is by design? If so please tell me the advantage of that - they have 80gig Ipods now - try cycling through all those MP3's starting at the first song everytime you turn the car on.

And you're saying the trunk gets hotter than the rest of the car? Why? In the summer with the sun shining through the windows (I also have a black interior) you would think the cabin gets the hottest. Also I live in Minnesota so it not blazing hot here like it is down south. By the way, I've had the ipod in the trunk of the car since July and it hasn't "destroyed the Ipod instantly".

My main purpose with the Ipod is to use it like a cd-changer of the past to listen to music with the controls being the car radio to have the oem look and not to have to plug in the ipod and mount it in the cabin everytime I get in the car - or otherwise I have to worry about people breaking in to steal it. Even a cd-changer will leave off at the last disc you were at so you can just skip to the next disc - makes sense doesn't it?

I don't mean to debate you in particular Tom. You've been a great help but I think this DICE unit can be improved. I can't wait until they do. Please keep us informed of any updates.

Paul

Last edited by BMWM3Rules; Sun, Sep-17-2006 at 06:31:30 AM.
Old Sun, Sep-17-2006, 06:44:02 AM   #28
tom @ eas
M3Forum Sponsor

Quote:
Hey Tom,

So you're telling me that resetting the Playlist to Playlist1 everytime you start the car is by design? If so please tell me the advantage of that - they have 80gig Ipods now - try cycling through all those MP3's starting at the first song everytime you turn the car on.

Not necissarily, the DICE will power itself down after 15 minutes to prevent battery drainage. I use a 40G iPod daily and can get to most of my songs within seconds, but I have the iPod stored in the eurotray within reach. When a passenger is with me, I can hand him/her the iPod rather than having someone messing with ny NAV controls.

BTW - The 80G iPods (and 2nd Generation nano) has an enhanced search filter that is 100% compatible with the DICE.
Quote:
And you're saying the trunk gets hotter than the rest of the car? Why? In the summer with the sun shining through the windows (I also have a black interior) you would think the cabin gets the hottest. Also I live in Minnesota so it not blazing hot here like it is down south. By the way, I've had the ipod in the trunk of the car since July and it hasn't "destroyed the Ipod instantly".
I never said the trunk is hotter than the rest of the vehicle, but at least in the cabin area you can roll down the windows or turn on the A/C. If an iPod is stored in the trunk, it never has a chance to cool down.

Here's a snippet from Apple's support page:

Your iPod works best from 32 to 95F. You should store it in environments of -4 to 113. Thats 0 to 35C and -20 to 45 for the metrically inclined. Keeping your iPod as near room temperature as possible (22C) is ideal.

Quote:
My main purpose with the Ipod is to use it like a cd-changer of the past to listen to music with the controls being the car radio to have the oem look and not to have to plug in the ipod and mount it in the cabin everytime I get in the car - or otherwise I have to worry about people breaking in to steal it. Even a cd-changer will leave off at the last disc you were at so you can just skip to the next disc - makes sense doesn't it?

I don't mean to debate you in particular Tom. You've been a great help but I think this DICE unit can be improved. I can't wait until they do. Please keep us informed of any updates.

Paul
There's no debate here - just a simple Q&A session.

The iPod can be stored in the glovebox, sunglass holder or the eurotray and still keep the interior looking completely stock and the iPod hidden from view.

While the CD Changer is basic enough to handle the abuse in the trunk, the iPod simply isn't with the delicate LCD screen and battery. Some users will probably never have problems - but it's a risk I'm not willing to take.

As always, feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions - I'm here to help.

Old Sun, Sep-17-2006, 06:51:43 AM   #29
BMWM3Rules

United States

Well, I might consider the glovebox install for now. Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks Tom

Old Sun, Sep-17-2006, 06:55:01 AM   #30
tom @ eas
M3Forum Sponsor

Quote:
Well, I might consider the glovebox install for now. Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks Tom
Glad to help - here's one of our guides on how to route the cable to the glovebox: http://www.europeanautosource.com/su...mod_id=2&id=35