BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Wed, Oct-19-2005, 11:54:09 PM   #11
Bavarian_Bully
Road course bully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvnmspt
On the 03s, you don't have the bolt that goes through the bottom. They use 4 balls and sockets and all you have to do is to pop the bumper reinforcement on to the chassis.

Mine is an '05. Any pictures to help visualize what you're explaining?
Jump to top Bavarian_Bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-20-2005, 01:22:15 AM   #12
m3griff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm333
awesome write up man!!!

22lbs of plastic

thats some weight savings there
I agree that it is an awesome writeup. Now I only need to find out if there is anything else that needs to be disconnected before I yank that bumper off... :nixweiss:

Help - please
Jump to top m3griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-20-2005, 05:56:54 AM   #13
Fly'n DuthhMan
Apex Sniper

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3griff
Fly'n man (or anyone that has knowledge of this)

This a late post, but I have an 02 with the same bumper attachment that you show (BTW - thanks for the DIY). Can you elaborate on what you had to do to remove the bumper - other than the bolts? I have gotten everything loose and removed the two big Torx bolts, but the bumper is still semi-attached on the passenger side. It appears that the windshield washer reservoir is attached to the bumper. It would not come loose (I didn't pull real hard..). Any insights?

Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff, I yanked by washer tank some time ago...so I don't recall how it was attached. There were some other small screws and plastic pop rivets the held it to the fender liners under the front corners of the car. The bumper should pull off straight forwards.

Try this website for some drawings of the bumpers. www.realoem.com
Look for the model, year etc, and then find the bumper cover and related parts pages. They may be in different sections...

If are still having trouble, send me a PM and I'll send you my cell number and I can look at the car with you one the phone and refresh my memory.
Jump to top Fly'n DuthhMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-20-2005, 10:39:08 AM   #14
m3griff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly'n DuthhMan
Jeff, I yanked by washer tank some time ago...so I don't recall how it was attached. There were some other small screws and plastic pop rivets the held it to the fender liners under the front corners of the car. The bumper should pull off straight forwards.

Try this website for some drawings of the bumpers. www.realoem.com
Look for the model, year etc, and then find the bumper cover and related parts pages. They may be in different sections...

If are still having trouble, send me a PM and I'll send you my cell number and I can look at the car with you one the phone and refresh my memory.

Thanks. I'll look at it again this weekend and get back with you if I have trouble....

Jeff
Jump to top m3griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-20-2005, 03:48:40 PM   #15
bvnmspt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian_Bully
Mine is an '05. Any pictures to help visualize what you're explaining?

I don't have any pictures... But the 03+ does have the two long main bolts. There are four ball and socket joints that you just need to pull on to take out the bumper. The 03+ have a carbon fiber bumper and the windshield washer resevoir isn't attached to it. All you need to do is to take the bolts that attached the fender lining and the bottom liner off and then just pull. It's a lot easier to take off than the 01-02.

Jump to top bvnmspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-20-2005, 07:17:57 PM   #16
musali

the 01-02 m3's have a metal reinforcement bar, where as 03 and up have a kevlar bar, the removal of the bumper are different, i didnt know that, i removed my MY02 bumper as if it was 03+, and i did damage my bumper, i have to readjust it but here are a some more key points.

1. there is no 4 ball adn socket joints on the 01-02.
2. ther are four small clips that need to be removed prior to removal from main air dam, its located on the underside of the top portion, ( didnt know that and i ripped part of the bumper when i pulled hard)
3. when puttin the bumper back on, make sure to realign the water resevior(sp?) because that can messup your overall alignment.

my bumper is not totally 100% back to normal, i willt ry to readjust it over the winter while its in storage.

hope that helps,
mustafa

-My Car: 2002 E46 ///M3|Phoenix Yellow on Black|ColdWeather|Premium|Bi-Xenon|Navi
-My Team: Team Advancement
-Mods:Exterior: CF Flossman GTR Hood|CF ACS style Front lip|Auth. Hamann Comp. Side Skirts| CF CSL style rear diffuser| CF CSL style bootlid |CF Kidney Grill| CF side gills| ACS style Roof Spoiler| LED Tailights Retrofit w/Solaris Invisibulbs|CF compartment Lid||Bimmian Eyelids|Keyhole Lock Cover|Painted Front Reflector Cover|CCFL Angel Eyes w/Remote Kit|Custom Painted Headlight Trim|HID Fogs 4500K|CF valve cover|CF brake duct covers
Interior: Schroth Harness's|Aluminum Pedals| UUC RK2 shiftknob| ///M headrest decal|shift/ebrake boot
Performance: K&N 63 CAI|Eisenmann SS midpipes|Gruppe M Titanium Exhaust|
Suspension/Drivetrain:Ground Control Coilovers|OEM front Strutbar|Axxis brake pads|Stoptech F&R SS brake lines|ATE TYP200 brake fluid|UUC EVO3 SSK w/DSSR|CDV removed||TMS adj. RCA|Volks LE37t w/toyo t1r
Jump to top musali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-22-2005, 08:51:23 PM   #17
parbie
giddyM3owner

Default Headlamp cleaner covers

Nice job on your bumper. I recently had my front and rear bumpers removed and repainted. When I got the car back, the covers for the headlamp cleaners were missing. The shop claims that they were not there to begin with, but I know they were. Is there anything in the bumper removal/replacement process that affects these covers? What is involved in my making it right again?
Thanks....PA
Jump to top parbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-02-2007, 10:09:19 PM   #18
Superman07

United States

Does anybody have some new pictures of 03+? I need to realign my bumper, and I'm not to keen on paying a body shop $200+ for the job.

It's really the front left side that has come loose. I'm assuming it's one of the ball joints.
Old Wed, Jul-23-2008, 01:40:31 AM   #19
ninekrpm
TrakJunky

In the garage:

Pakistan

great write-up guys....

any updates on an 05 bumper removal
Old Fri, Jul-25-2008, 05:11:30 AM   #20
bondiforce
Banned

Canada

Nice job!