BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Feb-05-2010, 01:35:15 PM   #1
xxaarraa

United States

Default Clicking noise from front left (already searched)

After driving on the hard shoulder for about half hour on my way home, I noticed a new clicking noise from the front left when going over bumps. I searched extensively and found numerous threads about the infamous "clunk" resulting from worn sway bar links. I think my problem may be a little different, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The car: 2005 M3 Coupe. Bone stock. 31,000 miles.

The actual noise: I would describe it as a "click" or "clak". Not really a thump or clunk. Also, it sounds almost like its coming from inside the steering column or gauge cluster. Here are some similar sounds I would use to describe it:
  1. Another close sound is the sound of a seat belt clip makes if you try to click it with your hand.
  2. Kinda sounds like a lose wiring harness banging against something
  3. Maybe an interior trim piece such as a handle or something that is loose

Scenario when it happens: When going over bumps at slow speeds. I am 75% sure its only when the front wheels go over bumps unevenly or independently. When going over bumps together, there doesn't seem to be a sound.

What I have tried/eliminated: Here are some things I have eliminated:
  • Rear deck rattle. Did the tennis ball trick
  • Rear battery cover rattle. Removed it altogether
  • Ignition cylinder rattle. Mine rattles and plays like crazy, but I taped up the key and still hear this sound
  • Loose driver's rear view mirror housing. I noticed the entire mirror housing had quite a bit of play so I have it wedged in with duct tape for now. No dice.
  • No loose change or objects of any kind inside or in the trunk
  • I tried pressing hard on front left and front right with my hands and the car seems to bounce up and down normally. I hear a slight squeak from the front left, but no clicks or rattles or anything that seemed out of the ordinary.
  • I have almost brand new Blizzaks on and no reason to believe alignment is off.

If you guys still think this is sway bar links, I am happy to take it to the dealer. But I'd rather avoid the hassle if its something I can hunt down on my own. Also, I would like to believe BMW build quality is better than bushings and links crapping out on a stock car at only 31k miles. But I have been wrong before.

Thanks in advance guys!

A.

Previously...
05 M3
00 E55 AMG
05 RSX-S
07 C220 CDI
03 BMW F650CS
06 Honda CRF230
Other stuff not worth mentioning...

Last edited by xxaarraa; Fri, Feb-05-2010 at 01:39:18 PM.
Jump to top xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Feb-05-2010, 03:02:28 PM   #2
xxaarraa

United States

A little help guys? I would like your thoughts before calling dealer etc.

Previously...
05 M3
00 E55 AMG
05 RSX-S
07 C220 CDI
03 BMW F650CS
06 Honda CRF230
Other stuff not worth mentioning...
Jump to top xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-05-2010, 04:34:41 PM   #3
RSM333
M Therapy

In the garage:

United States

Here's a hair puller. Something not on your list. The air filter intake box. After many visits to the dealer for unrelated warranty work, I had them check for a squeaking sound that would surface itself when for instance I would pull into my driveway (slight curb) and I would hear a metal to metal squeak, click, etc...depending how hard I would pull into the driveway. Anyway...it wasn't the belt, or the pulley, or the sway bar link as the dealer charged me out of pocket for. Turns out it was the air filter box assembly. Remedy...AFE stage II or a less expensive method would be just to tighten the stock assembly bolts down. Hope this is the sound your hearing as it is a simple fix.

Last edited by RSM333; Fri, Feb-05-2010 at 04:40:21 PM.
Jump to top RSM333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-12-2011, 11:56:04 PM   #4
thecatspajamas

United States

Default Re: Clicking noise from front left (already searched)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
After driving on the hard shoulder for about half hour on my way home, I noticed a new clicking noise from the front left when going over bumps. I searched extensively and found numerous threads about the infamous "clunk" resulting from worn sway bar links. I think my problem may be a little different, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The car: 2005 M3 Coupe. Bone stock. 31,000 miles.

The actual noise: I would describe it as a "click" or "clak". Not really a thump or clunk. Also, it sounds almost like its coming from inside the steering column or gauge cluster. Here are some similar sounds I would use to describe it:
  1. Another close sound is the sound of a seat belt clip makes if you try to click it with your hand.
  2. Kinda sounds like a lose wiring harness banging against something
  3. Maybe an interior trim piece such as a handle or something that is loose

Scenario when it happens: When going over bumps at slow speeds. I am 75% sure its only when the front wheels go over bumps unevenly or independently. When going over bumps together, there doesn't seem to be a sound.

What I have tried/eliminated: Here are some things I have eliminated:
  • Rear deck rattle. Did the tennis ball trick
  • Rear battery cover rattle. Removed it altogether
  • Ignition cylinder rattle. Mine rattles and plays like crazy, but I taped up the key and still hear this sound
  • Loose driver's rear view mirror housing. I noticed the entire mirror housing had quite a bit of play so I have it wedged in with duct tape for now. No dice.
  • No loose change or objects of any kind inside or in the trunk
  • I tried pressing hard on front left and front right with my hands and the car seems to bounce up and down normally. I hear a slight squeak from the front left, but no clicks or rattles or anything that seemed out of the ordinary.
  • I have almost brand new Blizzaks on and no reason to believe alignment is off.

If you guys still think this is sway bar links, I am happy to take it to the dealer. But I'd rather avoid the hassle if its something I can hunt down on my own. Also, I would like to believe BMW build quality is better than bushings and links crapping out on a stock car at only 31k miles. But I have been wrong before.

Thanks in advance guys!

A.
Sorry for the bump, but did you ever find out what the issue was? I'm having the exact same issue at the moment, on stock springs w/ koni yellows.
Jump to top thecatspajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-21-2011, 01:15:59 AM   #5
thecatspajamas

United States

Clicking is constantly clicking..
Old Fri, Oct-21-2011, 01:45:09 AM   #6
griffer

In the garage:

United States

Probably not it, but my seat belt pulley cover causes a bit of noise. I had to spray them down with silicone. If the partner side belt doesn't rest on the seat when empty it bangs against the plastic door trim.
Jump to top griffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-21-2011, 11:58:29 AM   #7
huangM3

United States

Heat shield? I had a similar issue and thought it was the ebrakes, but it was actually the heat shield that was slightly bent.
Jump to top huangM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-21-2011, 08:46:40 PM   #8
Mmm Power

In the garage:

United States

I have a similiar problem as well, not sway bar links, not suspension, everything has been tightened under hood and under car. Think it is coming from behind the driver fender, but nothing behind there but the cowl drain pipe which i wrapped in foam. Also, replaced the steering coupler. Not it
I can't figure it out and about 4 other mechanics cant either.

Subscribed....
Old Fri, Oct-21-2011, 08:52:12 PM   #9
PanzerM3
AchtungM3

United States

Change your caliper spring Clip. Have a nice day.
Jump to top PanzerM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-10-2011, 10:51:43 PM   #10
thecatspajamas

United States

Car's going to the shop, but just wanted to clarify that it's more of a clunk than a "click", but am hoping it's got something to do with the endlinks..though I can clearly hear it when i lift the front fenders with a bit of pressure.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; Thu, Nov-10-2011 at 10:56:16 PM.