BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Sep-30-2009, 05:26:05 AM   #11
Jumbosock

United States

Your bumper gap is a tad bigger than what I'd like. If you pull the bumper off there are foam pads that push the bumper up to keep those gaps tighter. I bet you're missing a couple of them. I was missing one and made a new one out of foam. Without those 4 foam pads the bumper gap looks too big. Pull the bumper and check.
Old Wed, Sep-30-2009, 07:50:38 AM   #12
apachedriver78

United States

awsome write-up. I think my side support is also cracked. I am having a problem with the side of the bumper popping out and down towards the ground. Well looks like a small project but should be fun. How much was the side support and where did you order it?
Jump to top apachedriver78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-01-2009, 01:07:42 AM   #13
gmr19

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Function7 View Post
It's an easy fix. The bumper on mine was mis-installed when I first got the car. It was easily removed and re-installed (correctly), spent some time aligning the side supports (replaced one that was cracked) and it looks good as new.

1. remove the foglights
2. remove 4 screws at the bottom
3. remove 2 screws, one each in the fenderwell
4. put hands in foglight openinings and pull (bumper will pop out)
5. check the white plastic supports on both sides, adjust if necessary
6. glue some high density foam on the top edge of the carbon fiber bumper support to close the gap between the headlight and bumper

Installation is the reverse. Shouldn't take over 2 hours including repeated test fittings to make sure everything is lined up right.

TIP: get some diswashing liquid, and apply them to the rubber mounting grommets/holes on the back of the black foam piece - helps the bumper to slip back into place.

Here's some pics to help you:
http://www.adrianteo.com/images/M3/

-A
How do you adjust those white plastic bumper supports? By loosening the bolt and rotating then retighten at desired position?
Jump to top gmr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-01-2009, 01:17:37 AM   #14
Eat.Sleep.Race
Bottle Fed

In the garage:

United States

i need to do this with my rear bumper one side sitting 1/8th inch lower and its annoying me
Jump to top Eat.Sleep.Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-01-2009, 07:56:55 AM   #15
Function7

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr19 View Post
How do you adjust those white plastic bumper supports? By loosening the bolt and rotating then retighten at desired position?
Yes - there's a lot of room there to adjust the white plastic bumper supports. Once they are loosened you can go up/down/left/right by about 1/2 inch (total travel) and rotate it here and there to get it just right, then tighten them back up.

-A

Function7 Engineering
Queen Creek, AZ
Jump to top Function7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-01-2009, 01:05:58 PM   #16
Superman07

United States

Where are the 4 screws at the bottom? Looking up at the bottom, or someplace else? The passenger side of my bumper keeps coming out and I feel like it gradually moves out further across the width of the car towards the driver side.

I tried putting bolt in to replace a missing one I had in the passenger wheel well, but that didn't seem to attach to anything.

Does anybody have a picture of the back of the bumper cover itself? Where, or if, is that bolt supposed to slot into?

Does anybody have the part numbers for:

1) The plastic support
2) The foam pads
Old Thu, Oct-01-2009, 03:34:30 PM   #17
Function7

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Where are the 4 screws at the bottom? Looking up at the bottom, or someplace else? The passenger side of my bumper keeps coming out and I feel like it gradually moves out further across the width of the car towards the driver side.

I tried putting bolt in to replace a missing one I had in the passenger wheel well, but that didn't seem to attach to anything.

Does anybody have a picture of the back of the bumper cover itself? Where, or if, is that bolt supposed to slot into?

Does anybody have the part numbers for:

1) The plastic support
2) The foam pads
There are metal clips (removeable, and they can fall off if the bolts aren't there) on the plastic pieces on the end of the bumper.

The clips look like #12 or #16 (I know that's the pic of the rear bumper but that's the clip)

See the hole on the upper left corner of the bumper in the pic below -- the metal clip goes in from the left side and the screw goes through the hole.

There are similar clips on the plastic pieces under the bumper and the four bolts go in from under the bumper - one each at the extreme ends of the bumper, another hole in each of the two circular cutouts under the bumper.

-A

Function7 Engineering
Queen Creek, AZ
Old Thu, Oct-01-2009, 04:39:44 PM   #18
Superman07

United States

Are the 2 end bolts (of the 4) at the curved part? I'm trying to tell from your picture, but having trouble telling.

Also, once the metal clips slots in from the left, does the screw that needs to go through that, first need to go through a plastic cover in front of the outter bumper? I'm trying to figure out if the screw I tried replacing wasn't the one you are referincing.
Old Thu, Oct-01-2009, 04:47:20 PM   #19
Function7

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Are the 2 end bolts (of the 4) at the curved part? I'm trying to tell from your picture, but having trouble telling.

Also, once the metal clips slots in from the left, does the screw that needs to go through that, first need to go through a plastic cover in front of the outter bumper? I'm trying to figure out if the screw I tried replacing wasn't the one you are referincing.
Not sure if we're talking about the same screw - I'll get more pics and possibly annotate them later today (gotta do some "work")

-A

Function7 Engineering
Queen Creek, AZ
Old Thu, Oct-01-2009, 04:51:06 PM   #20
Function7

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachedriver78 View Post
awsome write-up. I think my side support is also cracked. I am having a problem with the side of the bumper popping out and down towards the ground. Well looks like a small project but should be fun. How much was the side support and where did you order it?
The white side supports are under $10 each (I think it was about $5ish from Tischer) and I think dealers charge about $8.

-A

Function7 Engineering
Queen Creek, AZ