BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Nov-21-2008, 05:53:07 PM   #11
silber

United States

This is why I always find it funny when I see track cars with CSL bumpers.
Jump to top silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Nov-21-2008, 06:50:57 PM   #12
rettags

United States

If this is the case, then why did BMW design the CSL that way? Not arguing a point one way or the other.

Performance: AA Gen 6 Stg 2, Competition steering rack, AP headers, SS High Flow Cats, RE Diablo Track Edition, RE X pipe w/ EVC, UUC short shifter w/ DSSR, RE Race Brace, Dinan shock tower brace, TC Kline D/A 550/600, UUC ARCA, Volk CE28n, Brembo Monobloc BBK 380mm 6 pot/345mm 4 pot, AA clutch/flywheel
Interior: Sparco EVO 2 Plus, Safety Devices roll bar, Schroth Profi II, CF trim, Custom gauges in dash, Flat bottom wheel, Full interior wrapped in blk alcantara/red stitch and blk perf leather, custom door/rear panels, Halotron extinguisher, UUC e-brake, Defi, AEM
Misc: Pioneer, Stealth V1, M45 Jammers, Lightwerkz quad projectors

Journal from Euro to JDM
Jump to top rettags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-22-2008, 07:18:59 AM   #13
Got_S54?
Got Lip?

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LTWIAN View Post
Are you serious or are you kidding me? Just about every BMW track/D.E junkie has aftermarket brake cooling ducts. The BMW ones are pretty much useless once you really start moving on the track. They serve a vital purpose to cool the rotors that could easily warp at the temperatures demanded of them after numerous 130mph stops (well over 1200 degrees) and these temperatures without the ducts literally bakes race pads if used constantly at those temperatures. If I did not have brake cooling ducts I would go through a set of Performance Friction race pads in a days time. The ducts cool the temperatures so the pads can work at optimum temperature, just like any other race cars ducts. If I didn't have them, the pads would work great but I would get no life what so ever out of them
the idea that heat causes warped rotors is an old myth. period. read this
Old Sat, Nov-22-2008, 08:43:45 AM   #14
etez

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwc View Post
This is why I always find it funny when I see track cars with CSL bumpers.
So the M3 CSL being a track is funny to you? Am I missing something?
Jump to top etez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-22-2008, 09:12:26 AM   #15
Syndicate

Switzerland

I'm sure he meant regular M3s with a CSL bumper. Thanks for all the replies. Interesting to know that since I opened up the air ducts leading to the brakes, this is actually diverting air away from the airbox bit of a catch 22 there.

From what I can gather, this is basically coming down to the rotors and pads that you are using at the track.

Still torn between splitters vs full bumper though.

Cheers,
Jump to top Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-22-2008, 07:17:50 PM   #16
OnUrleft

In the garage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_S54? View Post
the idea that heat causes warped rotors is an old myth. period. read this
So it is according to them, which is interesting. But it doesn't display why you'd NOT want brake cooling ducts. If the pads get to hot then they don't work properly or "transfer pad material unevenly" because "hot spotting that occured at ELEVATED TEMPERATURES. Brake cooling ducts cool the rotor and the pad, so it can work at it's optimum temperatures and not hot spot.....
I know this because I have experienced overworked pads, first hand, many times on cars. They end up having a gushy dead feel, don't last long at all and sometimes make the car feel as if it's on "warped" rotors. Cool them down with ducts and they feel great and last much longer

In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc. This uneven deposition results in thickness variation (TV) or run-out due to hot spotting that occurred at elevated temperatures.
Old Mon, Nov-24-2008, 09:33:42 PM   #17
B1G
DIFFERENT !

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
I'm sure he meant regular M3s with a CSL bumper. Thanks for all the replies. Interesting to know that since I opened up the air ducts leading to the brakes, this is actually diverting air away from the airbox bit of a catch 22 there.

From what I can gather, this is basically coming down to the rotors and pads that you are using at the track.

Still torn between splitters vs full bumper though.

Cheers,
I know alot of people won't agree but... The airbox on our cars take air in through the top duck. The one above the radiator. The bottom duct, the one going to the bake duct, is there to help the air circulate through the box. The duct comming from the airbox is cut at an angle inside the brake duct. This creates a suction pulling air out. It keeps the air pressure even.

= [19"] NEEZ Eurocross Super = [18"] RAC RG63 = Yokohama Advan Sport = TCK SA 450/500 = PowerFlex RTAB's = LED Angle eyes = Custom molded CSL style splitters = Fog delete with custom fiberglass filler duct = Re-wired fog light switch (now turns on inners) = Nokya yellow halogens (inners) = Painted exterior part of kidney grills = Painted (no CF exposed) VCSL diffuser = Custom airbrushed interior trim = 6 series SMG shift knob = GSP Brake pedal = Kenwood Double Din = Eclipse AMP = Sub-frame reinforcement (Thanks to the great guys at BimmerShop) = Streamline drop in filter = Aluminum shift paddles = Lightwerkz 55w Xenon uipgrade

PICS

(1) Views and opinions expressed in my posts, are my views and opinions and in no way is it implied that they are the views of the mass.
Jump to top B1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-21-2015, 09:49:51 PM   #18
TheTrackDude
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: CSL Front Bumper vs Stock :: Brake Cooling

Another thing to consider is the effect of the brake component heat on the brake fluid. If you boil the brake fluid, you're done. Like folks have said, this is all a system. You want optimum operating temps during your most common use case. If it's a fulltime track car, figuring out what that means based on your particular track/common ambient temp may be different than someone else's (One answer may not server everyone).

Looks to me that the CSL may have used intake from the center grill
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=388851

Thanks,
-Ben

p.s. new to this forum, old time poster on bimmerforums, long time track of E36 M3's.
Jump to top TheTrackDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-21-2015, 09:55:28 PM   #19
Despise

In the garage:

United States

Nice... 7 year bump lol

Instagram: @imolayellow
Jump to top Despise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-21-2015, 10:40:56 PM   #20
uscbeemerM3

In the garage:

United States

no one really knows except the M engineers.

Koni Yellow struts/shocks with stock springs. M Track Mode (with M Track Mode light in the cluster),
CSL factory software via autologic (launch control is at 4800rpm), genuine CSL sway bars; front (30.8mm/hollow/8lb) and rear (22.5mm/solid/8lb), brake light mod all LEDs enabled when braking.

Jump to top uscbeemerM3 is offline   Reply With Quote