BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Aug-25-2010, 07:40:04 PM   #1
///MIKE M

In the garage:

United States

Question OPINIONS-- LED Tail lights smoked; few different set-ups

Im going to deff smoke out my front clear corners and side markers(with paint and clear) from my body shop. YES, its a good shop, great work etc. So it wont be cheap looking and whatnot.

So
2 FR corners smoked.
2 side markers smoked.
2 rear LED tails smoked?? Thats the Q....

I go back and forth on this over and over again.

SO-- I have 3 options I think...

1 leave red exposed. Tint white sections.

Like this.-- http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=988

2 Tint red and leave white areas.

Like this-- http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...38&postcount=1

^^ my body shop did that job BTW. Looks awesome.

AND-- http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...17&postcount=8

3 COMBO--- BOTH DONE WITH RED DARKER AND WHITE LIGHTER OR VV

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...80&postcount=1

OR a COMBO with red lightly and have the white done dark... hmm.

OR Just leave them stock, really dont want to do that.

Car is silver BTW like link 2 in option 2.

hmm.

Tough call IMO.

---- I keep going back and forth b/c I like the red tinted and white exposed, but to me the white tinted and red exposed makes more sence. If im blacking out the white areas in the front whay would i leave the white exposed in the rear, right??

The kinda red dark while covering the white slightly is cool

OR
the opposite. white dark and red light.

----HAVING THEM BOTH DARK, SAME LEVEL OF DARKNESS, LOOKS CHEEZY TO ME IMO.

HELP.

Thanks in advance!!
2016 LBB M2
Jump to top ///MIKE M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Aug-25-2010, 08:26:51 PM   #2
InterlagosM3JC

In the garage:

United States

I tinted the whole tail light the same shade. I think it looks good and im happy with it. Everyone is going to have their own opinion, go with your gut i doubt you'll regret whichever decision you make. Here's mine full tint.

2005 ///M3 ZCP 6spd
Mods Include: FK Silverline X Plus Coilovers, Active Autowerke Gen 3 Muffler, K&N 57 Series Intake, Scorza carbon fiber CSL Trunk, EAS Aurora 60 LED Angel Eyes, Painted & blacked out kidney grills, black fender grills, Shaved Front Bumper, smoked corners and tail lights, half carbon fiber rear diffuser, Turner spacers 15F/10R, ZHP knob and Alcantara shift boot w/ M Stitch, Carbon fiber emblems, 20% tint, OEM ZCPs powder coated Hyper Black

My Build Journal:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=363303
Jump to top InterlagosM3JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-25-2010, 08:35:34 PM   #3
///M3THOD

United States

^^those look really nice.

I have considering doing it but I would just do the clear part, and maybe a slightly lighter shade.. but I have a TiAg car like the OP.

Or.. just leave well enough alone. I like the regular clear tails a lot, sometimes its best to just leave things alone.

| JVT headers || AP section 1 || KSport || BMW Motorsport 4.10 || Depo Smoked Corners || Custom ski pass Alpine Type R|
| UUC RTAB's/FCAB's/tranny mounts || Auto Technik matte grills || Orion V2's || Anthracite Powdercoated OEM ZCP's || EAS monochrome badges |

Last edited by ///M3THOD; Wed, Aug-25-2010 at 08:39:34 PM.
Jump to top ///M3THOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-25-2010, 10:05:16 PM   #4
opey

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterlagosM3JC View Post
I tinted the whole tail light the same shade. I think it looks good and im happy with it. Everyone is going to have their own opinion, go with your gut i doubt you'll regret whichever decision you make. Here's mine full tint.

thats what i want, but maybe even lighter. i like the clear to be tinted, but i hate the black tail look, so i dont want the red tinted unless its very little. yours is almost perfect for me, i would want slightly lighter on the red. what did you use?

04 IR/IR 6spd
sold =(
Jump to top opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-26-2010, 12:06:37 AM   #5
m3freak86
JERSEY STRONG

In the garage:

United States

Haha, Mike, Mike Mike.

What I would do is concentrate on getting suspension and putting the LMs on before stressing about tail light tint.

But to give my opinion. I am a fan of the red tinted and clear left alone. Not too dark though. However, to avoid a perminate decision, just do film. If you get tired of it... simply peel it off. If painted, you are stuck with having to trade with someone else. I'm telling you... I've tinted so many tail lights and headlights that I've become a pro at it and can do yours. You won't even be able to tell it's film. People always asked me if mine was painted because it was so perfect.

2004 Carbon Black///M3 (gone)
Mods and Specs
My Exhaust Obsession
My Journal
Jump to top m3freak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-26-2010, 02:20:46 AM   #6
ILLuSioNz X
Built, not bought

In the garage:

India

you already posted it, but i love the way this car was done.
Wheels/Tires: 18 TE37SL & Falken RT615K
Suspension: TRM Coilovers 780F/895R|OEM Front & Turner Rear Reinforcement Plates|RE Rear Spring Perch Reinforcement|GC Race FCABs|GC Monoball RTABs|Godspeed LCAs|Turner Monoball Upper CAB|Turner Sway Bars|Turner Subframe Reinforcement (installed by Coinage)|Turner Solid Subframe, Differential, Motor and Transmission Mounts
Braking: Rotora 4-Piston Calipers|S/S Lines|Ate Dot4|Powerslot Rotors|Ferodo DS2500 Brake Pads

The Official Supercharger Kit Maintenance/Replacement Parts Thread (VF, AA and ESS)
Jump to top ILLuSioNz X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-26-2010, 03:54:49 AM   #7
mickaphely

In the garage:

United States

I had these but took them off because the local authorities forced me to make a donation.

Old Thu, Aug-26-2010, 04:07:29 AM   #8
MPOWERD
Mod Hound!

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickaphely View Post
I had these but took them off because the local authorities forced me to make a donation.

Wow that really looks good with the wheels you have...

Damn cops, always messing with people. What law did they claim you broke? I am sure the brake lights were still more than bright enough considering how much brighter the LEDs are than the old bulb tails were, and those were legal...

<> CSL Carbon Fiber Intake w/MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo, Euro Headers & Cats, K&N 69, Radenergie Carbon Fiber Strutbar
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills, Carbon Fiber Fender Grills, SMG Carbon Fiber Paddles, Vorsteiner 2 Sided CF VCSL Boot
<> EAS Slvr Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Blk Carbon Fiber SMG Dome, Carbon Fiber Console, & Blk/Slvr Steering Wheel Trim
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Engine Bay, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Valve Cover, RPI Intake Scoops, CarPC w/Nav/MP3/HD Radio/TV
<> Eisenmann Race Exhaust, Supersprint X-Pipe with Resonator, Ekarbon 1/2 Carbon Fiber Diffuser, DEPO Smoked Corners
<> 19x8.5 19x9.5 VMR V710s in HyperSilver, Painted Corner Reflectors, EAS Carbon Fiber Emblems, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent
<> Slvr CF Pedals, OEM 2-Tone Hardtop, Windscreen, & Alarm, 6K Headlights & HID Fogs, Blk Carbon Fiber Headlight Trim
Jump to top MPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-26-2010, 04:12:15 AM   #9
MPOWERD
Mod Hound!

In the garage:

United States

Mike,

From what I have seen and read about you and your M3, you have great taste so I am certain that whatever choice you make it will look great!

As for my personal opinion, after seeing what mickaphely did above with his car my opinion would be to tint just the red...

<> CSL Carbon Fiber Intake w/MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo, Euro Headers & Cats, K&N 69, Radenergie Carbon Fiber Strutbar
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills, Carbon Fiber Fender Grills, SMG Carbon Fiber Paddles, Vorsteiner 2 Sided CF VCSL Boot
<> EAS Slvr Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Blk Carbon Fiber SMG Dome, Carbon Fiber Console, & Blk/Slvr Steering Wheel Trim
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Engine Bay, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Valve Cover, RPI Intake Scoops, CarPC w/Nav/MP3/HD Radio/TV
<> Eisenmann Race Exhaust, Supersprint X-Pipe with Resonator, Ekarbon 1/2 Carbon Fiber Diffuser, DEPO Smoked Corners
<> 19x8.5 19x9.5 VMR V710s in HyperSilver, Painted Corner Reflectors, EAS Carbon Fiber Emblems, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent
<> Slvr CF Pedals, OEM 2-Tone Hardtop, Windscreen, & Alarm, 6K Headlights & HID Fogs, Blk Carbon Fiber Headlight Trim
Jump to top MPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-26-2010, 05:59:06 AM   #10
kk2
visor up for pleasure

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickaphely View Post
i had these but took them off because the local authorities forced me to make a donation.

sick picture!
Jump to top kk2 is offline   Reply With Quote