BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jun-06-2017, 04:41:23 PM   #21
Zroman610

United States

Default Re: E46 m3 p0014 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmobile View Post
Nope I had intake overretarded. I believe yours is intake overadvanced. Timing thing more or less at least from what I can gather. I don't think oil on the cam/hub matters.

When you remove the hub after the car has been used, you will find it hard to remove the little round plates with the ears that go on top of the diaphragm spring from the camshaft bosses which it sits on. Hard meaning it doesnt just fall out if you lightly pull on it, because there's a thin layer of oil between the camshaft bosses and that plate. If that oil indeed was causing slipping and messing up timing, you would expect timing to go out during normal usage, which is why I believe the oil between those 2 pieces doesnt matter. I guess a way to check is see if the hub bolts are slammed up against one side or the other of the camshaft cutouts (the 6 cutouts on the camshaft that allows the hub to be rotated). If it is, then it slipped for sure. If not, then it probably didnt slip.

Yea I mean the vanos test will tell us if the timing is off before even opening the motor. Thanks for your input I will be showing him this thread for reference on anything that could have gone wrong last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Zroman610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jun-06-2017, 04:45:12 PM   #22
Slowmobile
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

In the garage:

United States

If you aren't there for it, ask for at least a screenshot/picture of the VANOS test with values. Just curious, is this the first time the shop has done an S54 motor VANOS?
Old Tue, Jun-06-2017, 04:52:43 PM   #23
Zroman610

United States

Default E46 m3 p0014 issue

Quote:
If you aren't there for it, ask for at least a screenshot/picture of the VANOS test with values. Just curious, is this the first time the shop has done an S54 motor VANOS?

No he supposedly has done a ton of vanos jobs. And I will be there for sure. I've been bothering him nonstop and probably annoying him. But after driving 1.5 hours to his shop 3 times now and taking two days off work, I'm getting frustrated. So I don't need him taking any "joy rides" lol.

Last time it passed for everything except inlet opening taking too long. But it idled good and power felt great so we let it be. The test showed the timing and other variables being within spec.

Last edited by Zroman610; Tue, Jun-06-2017 at 05:03:04 PM.
Old Tue, Jun-06-2017, 05:48:52 PM   #24
Slowmobile
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zroman610 View Post
No he supposedly has done a ton of vanos jobs. And I will be there for sure. I've been bothering him nonstop and probably annoying him. But after driving 1.5 hours to his shop 3 times now and taking two days off work, I'm getting frustrated. So I don't need him taking any "joy rides" lol.

Last time it passed for everything except inlet opening taking too long. But it idled good and power felt great so we let it be. The test showed the timing and other variables being within spec.

Depending on where you are, maybe see if you can find someone on M3F to drag along with you to the shop haha.
Old Tue, Jun-06-2017, 06:18:33 PM   #25
Zroman610

United States

Quote:
Depending on where you are, maybe see if you can find someone on M3F to drag along with you to the shop haha.

I reached out to another fellow in central PA who's built many s54's and definitely knows how to tackle vanos issues to see if he could come down to the other shop and have the original guy pay him or whatever he needs to do since I heard they help each other out when needed. Because if I drive another 1.5 hours there and this happens again, I will be VERY unhappy to say the least lol. Honestly don't even know what I'll do at this point if it's not fixed when I leave on Friday. Any ideas on what could be done in that case?

Old Fri, Jun-09-2017, 01:34:40 PM   #26
Zroman610

United States

Default E46 m3 p0014 issue

Ok so we ran the vanos test and everything is checking out except "advanced time, inlet: too long" which is the last line on the test. Anyone ever have this issue before? The timing and other items seem to be in spec.

Old Sun, Jun-11-2017, 12:37:52 AM   #27
Slowmobile
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

In the garage:

United States

Just a wag, I'd check if the inlet piston is hard to actuate in the VANOS, aka doesn't slide easily. Or if the piston bore has scratches which could leak oil. Or the piston o ring wasn't installed right so there's a crack in it. Just purely guesses that you can't really verify without removing the VANOS
Old Mon, Jun-12-2017, 04:11:42 PM   #28
Zroman610

United States

Quote:
Just a wag, I'd check if the inlet piston is hard to actuate in the VANOS, aka doesn't slide easily. Or if the piston bore has scratches which could leak oil. Or the piston o ring wasn't installed right so there's a crack in it. Just purely guesses that you can't really verify without removing the VANOS

We checked everything over and replaced the pressure regulator valve while in there and it's still failing at the last part of the test "advance inlet: too slow". Guess I'm just gonna live with it the car feels amazing.

Old Mon, Jun-12-2017, 05:05:31 PM   #29
Slowmobile
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zroman610 View Post
We checked everything over and replaced the pressure regulator valve while in there and it's still failing at the last part of the test "advance inlet: too slow". Guess I'm just gonna live with it the car feels amazing.

Did they thoroughly clean out the VANOS solenoid valve body with brake cleaner and a magnet?
Old Tue, Jun-13-2017, 01:41:13 AM   #30
Zroman610

United States

Quote:
Did they thoroughly clean out the VANOS solenoid valve body with brake cleaner and a magnet?
That we did not do...I didn't think of it at the time but now I feel like that would've been a really good idea. I guess I can always pull it off and clean it.