BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jun-05-2017, 06:37:47 PM   #1
Zroman610

United States

Default E46 m3 p0014 issue

Looking for some help here after doing a ton of research. Please read whole story before jumping the gun.

Recently had my vanos seals/bolts/springs/oil disc and all replaced along with a valve adjustment done. Drove the car about 200 miles and code p0014 comes on. So had the timing redone and the code went away for about 500 miles or so now it came back on. Keep in mind the timing bridge was used and recheck timing after tightening bolts and turning crank over 3 times to triple check.

We also tried a different solenoid/solenoid pack with no difference. Car idles and performs as if there are no issues.

Has anyone experienced this after having their vanos done? I've done a ton of research and it leads me to believe it is either a) timing is still off or b) the solenoid pack needs replaced even though we already tried one from another car.

Also should add the car had no issues/codes prior to being worked, it was done strictly as preventative maintenance.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PFA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Zroman610; Mon, Jun-05-2017 at 06:46:34 PM.
Jump to top Zroman610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jun-05-2017, 07:58:30 PM   #2
Napalm

United States

Default Re: E46 m3 p0014 issue

Since there weren't any problems before being worked on, it's most likely that something was put back together incorrectly. Which in my experience is easy to do when working on the VANOS system. I goofed up the first time I 'fixed' my VANOS bolts which ended up in limp mode and some cam shaft timing engine codes (I forget which ones exactly) shortly after.

It ended up that I either didn't torque the cam bolts correctly or I left a lot of oil on the spring disc that allowed the timing to slip out once I started driving the car. I had to disassemble everything, re-time it, and reassemble to fix the problem. I'd consider doing the same on your car.
Hope that helps.
Old Mon, Jun-05-2017, 07:59:50 PM   #3
aaronpoweruser

United States

Did you try a new cam shaft position sensor they are cheap and easy to get in.

Have done a vanos test ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Jump to top aaronpoweruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-05-2017, 08:27:25 PM   #4
Zroman610

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpoweruser View Post
Did you try a new cam shaft position sensor they are cheap and easy to get in.

Have done a vanos test ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Already replaced the exhaust cam sensor. No it didn't pass the vanos test because of an "inlet response time too long". But all the other items were in spec such as timing and whatnot.

Last edited by Zroman610; Mon, Jun-05-2017 at 08:31:07 PM.
Old Mon, Jun-05-2017, 08:28:01 PM   #5
Zroman610

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
Since there weren't any problems before being worked on, it's most likely that something was put back together incorrectly. Which in my experience is easy to do when working on the VANOS system. I goofed up the first time I 'fixed' my VANOS bolts which ended up in limp mode and some cam shaft timing engine codes (I forget which ones exactly) shortly after.

It ended up that I either didn't torque the cam bolts correctly or I left a lot of oil on the spring disc that allowed the timing to slip out once I started driving the car. I had to disassemble everything, re-time it, and reassemble to fix the problem. I'd consider doing the same on your car.
Hope that helps.

I will relay this to my mechanic and see what he says. This seems to be my exact issue. Did your code come on right away or after about 200-500 miles? Thanks for your input.

Old Mon, Jun-05-2017, 08:34:02 PM   #6
Napalm

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zroman610 View Post
I will relay this to my mechanic and see what he says. This seems to be my exact issue. Did your code come on right away or after about 200-500 miles? Thanks for your input.

The car ran fine initially and then went into limp mode and the light came on after about 50 miles on the freeway. Again, i don't remember the exact code, but it was something similar to yours (Timing over advanced/retarded or system performance).

Since you reset the timing twice, and it keeps coming back, It sounds like your timing is slipping after being set. This in turn causes the VANOS variable timing to respond out of specification or not at all.

Last edited by Napalm; Mon, Jun-05-2017 at 08:40:32 PM.
Jump to top Napalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-05-2017, 08:54:53 PM   #7
Zroman610

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
The car ran fine initially and then went into limp mode and the light came on after about 50 miles on the freeway. Again, i don't remember the exact code, but it was something similar to yours (Timing over advanced/retarded or system performance).

Since you reset the timing twice, and it keeps coming back, It sounds like your timing is slipping after being set. This in turn causes the VANOS variable timing to respond out of specification or not at all.

This seems to be exactly what is happening!! Since we triple checked the timing the second time doing it. Weird thing is usually timing related issues would throw a code right away. But in this case it makes sense that it's taking a bit to slip out due to the oil allowing it to slip. But doesn't oil run through the springs/splines/disc regularly? Also the car is not in limp mode, it idles fine and doesn't lack any power whatsoever

We also put a new RE oil line on which probably has nothing to do with the issue.

Old Mon, Jun-05-2017, 09:27:50 PM   #8
Napalm

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zroman610 View Post
This seems to be exactly what is happening!! Since we triple checked the timing the second time doing it. Weird thing is usually timing related issues would throw a code right away. But in this case it makes sense that it's taking a bit to slip out due to the oil allowing it to slip. But doesn't oil run through the springs/splines/disc regularly? Also the car is not in limp mode, it idles fine and doesn't lack any power whatsoever

We also put a new RE oil line on which probably has nothing to do with the issue.

Well, There is oil going everywhere except between the camshaft hubs, spring disc and the cam gear. It's sandwhiched and bolted together. I tried to find some pictures of this part, but can't find any. I'm going off of memory from years ago too, so it's hard to describe. But there is a flat-ish disc in between the camshaft hubs and the cam gear. It all bolts together with the six hex bolts which also allow the cam gears to be adjusted. If there is oil there when it's assembled it can definitely slip (i'm pretty sure this is what happened to me). I NEVER (dare I say) leave bolts untorqued. I always double and triple check everything. Additionally, I KNOW for a fact that I left oil all over the spring disc and hub when I reassembled. So it seems most likely that this was the cause of my timing problems. When I took it all apart and reassembled, I cleaned and dried everything, and never saw the timing problem again after that. It was 80K miles ago.

As for your car not going into limp mode or running bad. It could be that yours is simply not slipping enough to cause it to run bad (mine did run poorly). Or it could of course just be a different problem entirely.

Last edited by Napalm; Mon, Jun-05-2017 at 09:33:35 PM.
Jump to top Napalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-05-2017, 10:07:29 PM   #9
Slowmobile
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

In the garage:

United States

I had an issue with P00012. Car was not limp, ran fine, timing was close to nominal. Turned out I didn't reset the VANOS adaptation. My SES light would come on about 5 minutes. My VANOS wouldnt pass the inlet test until after I reset adaptation. Maybe try that and see if it helps.
Old Mon, Jun-05-2017, 11:53:00 PM   #10
Zroman610

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmobile View Post
I had an issue with P00012. Car was not limp, ran fine, timing was close to nominal. Turned out I didn't reset the VANOS adaptation. My SES light would come on about 5 minutes. My VANOS wouldnt pass the inlet test until after I reset adaptation. Maybe try that and see if it helps.

We did reset adapts. Thanks though.